English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 08 June 2019, 21:27   #1
stevelord

16-bit OctaMED Soundstudio Samples

I'm having a tinker with SoundStudio 1.03c from the CU Amiga coverdisk, and am trying to get 16-bit samples working.

I'm using the Philharmonia archive from archive.org: https://archive.org/details/philharm...chestrasamples

Using ffmpeg to convert to wav, the samples play with play16, but when I try to import them into OctaMED SoundStudio I get random gibberish and SS tells me it can't play them when I press play in the sample editor.

I set the type to 16-bit and output to Toccata (my repulse card does Toccata emulation perfectly fine). I can play the samples on octave 12, but there's only 1 octave of range.

However, when I record notes and play back I get garbage noises out.

My mixing settings are set to Toccata 16-bit at 44100. Use mixing (MMD) and tracker mods are enabled.

I can play back other people's modules with 16-bit samples (such as La Esperanza off Aminet) and use them normally, so this is probably something I'm doing wrong.

I've tried looking through the Octamed SS sites on archive.org, but I'm not finding much info on what I need to do to get 16-bit samples working well in OctaMED. Does anyone have any pointers to things that work well for them?
Old 09 June 2019, 20:08   #2
daxb

Can you load/play other 16 bit format samples like AIFF, MAUD or simple RAW? However, OctamedSS guide says it supports WAVE. So maybe need to convert with different settings.
Old 10 June 2019, 00:06   #3
stevelord

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
Can you load/play other 16 bit format samples like AIFF, MAUD or simple RAW? However, OctamedSS guide says it supports WAVE. So maybe need to convert with different settings.

I've tried different 16-bit formats and am still having the same or similar problems. I've used soundconverter too. If anyone has or knows of any 16-bit sample packs that are tested to work on SS I can use that as a starting point.

There were some on some of the old Octamed sites, but archive.org doesn't appear to have any copies as they tended to be linked to defunct FTP servers.
Old 10 June 2019, 10:48   #4
daxb

I tried loading/playing wav/aiff 16bit samples and they will be played as noise. When I change "Instrument Type" to "Sample" then the samples are played fine. I use Amiga output device.
Old 10 June 2019, 15:40   #5
stevelord

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
I tried loading/playing wav/aiff 16bit samples and they will be played as noise. When I change "Instrument Type" to "Sample" then the samples are played fine. I use Amiga output device.

Where did you get the particular samples you're using from? Any place you could post some? Does it resample correctly when you run up and down the keys? What happens when you set it to toccata?

I've set the instrument to sample in properties, and have also noticed not all notes are represented.
Old 10 June 2019, 18:17   #6
daxb

I downloaded them 15 years ago from modarchive.com. Fore example cweak_bass zip archive. This wav samples also works for me: http://aminet.net/package/mods/smpl/mc-202 Playing different notes works too. I haven't a toccata and I can only choose Amiga or Aura as output device.
Old 11 June 2019, 15:31   #7
stevelord

Hmmm... Looks like I have the same problems with those samples too. Setting the output to Amiga means it's not treated as 16-bit. For a sample to be used as 16-bit it'll have a W next to the sample size in the main window.
Old 11 June 2019, 17:22   #8
daxb

I don't know but I think the Repulse sound card isn't the problem. Find someone with Repulse to confirm that. Maybe there is a configuration setting responsible.

Alternative you can try DigiboosterPro. It supports 16 bit wav samples and is using AHI as sound driver. Should work fine.
Old 11 June 2019, 18:21   #9
adrdesign

If you plan to use 16bit samples you should enable Mix mode (taken from Sound Studio v1 manual):

" Using Mix mode

To use Mix mode, follow these two main steps:

1) Select Set Options from the Song menu. In the Song Options window, click
on 1-64 Ch Mixing.

2) Select Mixing Settings from the Settings menu, and set up Mix mode to
your liking."

Last edited by adrdesign; 11 June 2019 at 18:32.