English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 23 October 2013, 16:46   #1
mistermsk

Amiga OS 4.1 and Mac

Hi All,

I was looking into buying a mac laptop to install Amiga OS 4.1 onto. I read that OS 4.1 is for PowerPC computers. However, when I was cruising e-bay, I noticed that the Mac Book Pros I was looking at all have Intel chips in them. So, what is the latest model of Mac Book Pros/Mac Books that had the PowerPC in them which would capable of running Amiga OS 4.1. Also, if possible what would the latest desktop model be?

Thank you for any help.
Old 23 October 2013, 17:06   #2
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Hi!

I think there were hacks to run OS4 on older PPC macs but nothing modern and AFAIK not OS4.1

The only systems you can run OS4.1 on are Sam's, PegasosII or AmigaOne systems like the X1000 or AmigaOne 500

OS4.1 Classic is available to an A1200/A4000 with a Blizzard or CyberstormPPC.
Old 23 October 2013, 17:17   #3
jPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermsk View Post
Hi All,

I was looking into buying a mac laptop to install Amiga OS 4.1 onto. I read that OS 4.1 is for PowerPC computers.
It isn't that easy that every OS would work on every machine having certain CPU. There are few other variables too.

Anyway, Amiga OS 4.1 doesn't run on any Mac, only on certain custom made motherboards (http://www.amigaos.net/content/72/supported-hardware).

Amiga OS 4.0 ran unofficially on Mac mini 1.5GHz model, but it was only a leaked version with no support for network, audio, usb etc.

If you want next generation Amiga experience on Mac hardware, then you can try MorphOS, which has similar functionality and goals with OS4, only lacking the official name, but in many parts it's better made. You can find supported hardware list here http://www.morphos-team.net/hardware
Old 24 October 2013, 15:49   #4
mistermsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jPV View Post
It isn't that easy that every OS would work on every machine having certain CPU. There are few other variables too.

Anyway, Amiga OS 4.1 doesn't run on any Mac, only on certain custom made motherboards (http://www.amigaos.net/content/72/supported-hardware).

Amiga OS 4.0 ran unofficially on Mac mini 1.5GHz model, but it was only a leaked version with no support for network, audio, usb etc.

If you want next generation Amiga experience on Mac hardware, then you can try MorphOS, which has similar functionality and goals with OS4, only lacking the official name, but in many parts it's better made. You can find supported hardware list here http://www.morphos-team.net/hardware
Thanks, guys. I saw the one on the mac mini running the OS. Didn't realized it did not have audio or network capable.

I'll guess I'll stay with my Amiga 1200. I looked at the X1000, but I can not justify on spending close to $2,800 USD for it. I can buy an Alienware laptop for under that at microcenter and run Amithlon or AROS it.
Old 25 October 2013, 08:44   #5
utri007
mä vaan

It is possible to get ACube Sam 440ep Flex for very tempting price

http://us.ebid.net/for-sale/acube-sa...-120498609.htm

I have one and I'm very happy to it. Web surfing and watching avis works just nice. OS has a original Amiga feeling
Old 07 March 2014, 19:20   #6
rafaelj

Amiga OS 4.0 and Mac Mini

At first it works only with Amiga OS 4.0 and only with the "illegal" Internet Copy.
But, if you want to try here any tips:

1.) They are two versions of the Torrent-File... The "bigger" ist the better one!
2.) You need the latest Mac Mini with 1,5 GHz. I have one and this works!
3.) If you want to install to HD you will loose the OSX and you must disable the
DVD
Best way to do this is to replace the DVD Drive with another one (CD or DVD).
You need a recovery eject! The original have no one!
4.) If you make new partitions and make it bootable, Mac can't boot it!
This because the OF only boot from HDS partition! But more later...
After boot from CD and after pressing last key eject the CD and you are
ready!
The system boot OS4!!! If not, you see KICKSTART with DISK picture!
COOOOL! - but your partition layout is wrong! next try!

If you want to lot without CD ... here are the solution:

5.) If You want start direct from HD - you will need second Harddisk!.
Buy a PATA (IDE) to HD Caddy... about 20 EUR

On the 1st disk install OSX an morhos (you will find many todo's)
Only on this way you can create the first partition, with have KICKSTART files on it and is readable from OF!

The boot works (for now) only by starting into OF and manual typing! But no DVD/CD is needed. I try to make an boot loader,

But : AMIGAOS has no Network or Audio. The USB ports not works (Only Mouse or Keyboard... But you can "Klick and Play" for 60EUR (i have payed for my Mac mini!).

I get 2 Days (8 Hours) to make this all (just Try&Error). For now no more time.

Next week i try to get any "Bootloader" an search for drivers .. but i think, without usb we will not get any success....

I don't know the Audio or USB Chipset from Mac mini...

Old 07 March 2014, 19:30   #7
wawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafaelj View Post
At first it works only with Amiga OS 4.0 and only with the "illegal" Internet Copy.
But, if you want to try here any tips:

1.) They are two versions of the Torrent-File... The "bigger" ist the better one!
2.) You need the latest Mac Mini with 1,5 GHz. I have one and this works!
3.) If you want to install to HD you will loose the OSX and you must disable the
DVD
Best way to do this is to replace the DVD Drive with another one (CD or DVD).
You need a recovery eject! The original have no one!
4.) If you make new partitions and make it bootable, Mac can't boot it!
This because the OF only boot from HDS partition! But more later...
After boot from CD and after pressing last key eject the CD and you are
ready!
The system boot OS4!!! If not, you see KICKSTART with DISK picture!
COOOOL! - but your partition layout is wrong! next try!

If you want to lot without CD ... here are the solution:

5.) If You want start direct from HD - you will need second Harddisk!.
Buy a PATA (IDE) to HD Caddy... about 20 EUR

On the 1st disk install OSX an morhos (you will find many todo's)
Only on this way you can create the first partition, with have KICKSTART files on it and is readable from OF!

The boot works (for now) only by starting into OF and manual typing! But no DVD/CD is needed. I try to make an boot loader,

But : AMIGAOS has no Network or Audio. The USB ports not works (Only Mouse or Keyboard... But you can "Klick and Play" for 60EUR (i have payed for my Mac mini!).

I get 2 Days (8 Hours) to make this all (just Try&Error). For now no more time.

Next week i try to get any "Bootloader" an search for drivers .. but i think, without usb we will not get any success....

I don't know the Audio or USB Chipset from Mac mini...
i dont think there is any reason to get into it except of fun making if boot after hours andh hours.
Old 07 March 2014, 22:53   #8
rafaelj

Fun for 60 bucks

Morphos is equal to OS4 (if not better)....

But, for 60 bucks (and add 75 for Morphos or 120 for AmigaOS) .. ist only for fun! (OS4 is without LAN or/und USB not usable ..... for now....)

It is very bad that AmigaOS is not allowed on another "compatible" hardware...

And the hardware is nowhere to get !!!!!!! (Everything (except X1000 (2800EUR , more than Apple Imac oder high end macbook!) is out of stock!!!

Amiga dies next time....

thats crazy.......

Old 08 March 2014, 01:23   #9
luy32

Why was PPC chosen to be the successor to M680x0 ? were there no other options ? or only that PHASE 5 made the blizard ppc `?

just curious ...

Last edited by luy32; 08 March 2014 at 01:24. Reason: spell
Old 08 March 2014, 11:14   #10
jPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by luy32 View Post
Why was PPC chosen to be the successor to M680x0 ? were there no other options ? or only that PHASE 5 made the blizard ppc `?
I think there are few reasons like this for example:

- Transition had already started with those phase5's accelerators
- PPC was the most common desktop CPU with correct endianness to preserve the compatiblity with old software (with x86 you'd lose the backwards compatibility because of it)
- Apple went to PPC route too, so there was a major player with the same strategy, which would secure the availablity and progress with the CPU for a long time
- PPC CPUs were very competitive at that time
Old 08 March 2014, 16:58   #11
rafaelj

First:
This is all a long time ago .. PPCs are (now) out! (Playstation and XBOXOne have no more PPC CPUs).... Nobody build hardware with it! OK- nobody? --- i know one.....but at astronomic prices ! This can't be a bestseller !

Second:
Now are many PPC MACs on sell! MACs Pro and Mini and other. Why not to use them with
another OS? MorphOS make it! Why AmigaOS not ?

It is more profitable to sell OS4 for another Hardware than to wait for new Hardware.
And it will be better for all users of AmigaOS - more Users - more Apps and more Fun!

I don't understand this choice of the "makers" of OS4. Or they don't want to make money..

Moana Project has shown, it is possible! But they was stopped!

I am in this business for 35 years for now. I had the first A1000 with 256KB.
My last one was A3000 ... and then only PCs/Linux and OSX.
Amiga OS was a very good OS in compare to first PCs an MACs.

I don't need a 100% perfect system for now. I will try some new. I will
continue my private "Moana" project. The drivers for mac mini exists for Morhos and Linux.
I will get the sources.... and try it..... i have time and some knowledge....

For now i have a bootable OS4 for testing....it is very quick and stable!

Its not for money ... it's only for fun!

Old 10 March 2014, 13:00   #12
rafaelj

HDD Booting

Works without problems. (method OF + devalias + copy of L/Libs/Devs/Kickstart)

Then you can edit "kicklayout" file and copy all files into one directory..works too!

Now we can test new modules from 4.1 by copy over the files. (ATI first!)

You can enable the "video" output of SDL (change the loader_mm.silent to video...)

For better boot we need a new SDL (loader) because this on ist compied only for CD and SFS booting (and OF cannot boot from SFS!). It will by hard to get..... i must first find doc aboot SDL loader)

We can also see, that any modules was made only for mac (any USB thinks like mice and keyboard ). Other ony are standard with equal or older versions....

If someone try it, at best copy and try from morphos - it shows the revisions before overwriting ...

So TEST-System are ready. HDD Boot works. At this time no one problem!
Is stable..........................

Still no usb, no network and no audio..... (like first SAM Boards at begin ...)

is there somebody want to help? having interesting files ?

Last edited by rafaelj; 10 March 2014 at 13:51.

Old 27 January 2020, 11:53   #13
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Thread necro... Nobody took this forward.. I did wonder if with MOS files it might be possible to assemble a functional 4.1 HDD install on Mini... I happen to have the 1.5 Mini
Old 29 January 2020, 03:04   #14
grelbfarlk

No. With MorphOS drivers you can get a fully working MorphOS install on a Mac Mini though which works just fine.
That's like saying hey I've got perfectly working Windows Vista drivers for my Blazemonger MK2, I can just copy those onto my X86 Mac.
Old 30 January 2020, 10:48   #15
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
No. With MorphOS drivers you can get a fully working MorphOS install on a Mac Mini though which works just fine.
That's like saying hey I've got perfectly working Windows Vista drivers for my Blazemonger MK2, I can just copy those onto my X86 Mac.
Funny but I found a web page where they seem to have done pretty much exactly what I said Still it looks a bit clunky!
Old 24 May 2021, 15:44   #16
Ulysses13

I have MorphOS running nicely on an old PowerMac G4 Cube. It's a thing of beauty.

I can choose to boot into Mac OS9, OSX or MorphOS with that setup, so it's a versatile way to go.
Old 25 May 2021, 10:20   #17
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses13 View Post
I have MorphOS running nicely on an old PowerMac G4 Cube. It's a thing of beauty.

I can choose to boot into Mac OS9, OSX or MorphOS with that setup, so it's a versatile way to go.
Would be interested in your bootloader and how you set that up cos thats pretty much my plan (plus PPC Linux) for my G4 Mini and maybe my G5 iMac too