English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 12 June 2012, 11:26   #61
Help

Can you make a wb pack based on the 1.3 kick rom only instead of Amiga 500+?
Old 12 June 2012, 11:55   #62
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Help View Post
Can you make a wb pack based on the 1.3 kick rom only instead of Amiga 500+?
It is, but dont forget 1.3 doesnt have that many icons.
Old 12 June 2012, 12:27   #63
Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
It is, but dont forget 1.3 doesnt have that many icons.
No it isnt its based on the Amiga 500+(kickstart rom 2.04 or 3.0 depending on which one you pick ie:Green alien or 68k)which is not as good as the 1.3kickstart rom when it comes to game compatibility.

Even if it dont have as many icons,dont matter,its all about game compatibility

Not only that some of the instructions for installing green alien is wrong,it says use kickrom 2.0 when in actual fact you have to use 2.04(a500+)as it wont work with 2.0 as it instructs you to do.
Old 12 June 2012, 17:17   #64
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
well I never knew paul who did the green alien WB but as he is`t with us and hasnt been for sometime its taken some one as obsessive about ks1.3 and wb1.3 to actual notice that the documentation is wrong Help

ok I`ll bite so which Ks1.3 ECS/OCS game is HD installable and dos`t work on a later Kickstart
Old 12 June 2012, 20:51   #65
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Help View Post
No it isnt its based on the Amiga 500+(kickstart rom 2.04 or 3.0 depending on which one you pick ie:Green alien or 68k)which is not as good as the 1.3kickstart rom when it comes to game compatibility.

Even if it dont have as many icons,dont matter,its all about game compatibility

Not only that some of the instructions for installing green alien is wrong,it says use kickrom 2.0 when in actual fact you have to use 2.04(a500+)as it wont work with 2.0 as it instructs you to do.
Misunderstood, he wants it for ks1.3. As this thread is about 1.3 theme, I thought he was asking for what we alrwady had.
Old 13 June 2012, 14:30   #66
Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfrog View Post
well I never knew paul who did the green alien WB but as he is`t with us and hasnt been for sometime its taken some one as obsessive about ks1.3 and wb1.3 to actual notice that the documentation is wrong Help

ok I`ll bite so which Ks1.3 ECS/OCS game is HD installable and dos`t work on a later Kickstart
Dragons lair singes castle and populous does not work.
Old 14 June 2012, 00:15   #67
spannernick
Retro Nuts

Is it possible to change themes once you've installed CWB..?

And can you install this theme on CW ADVSP..?
Old 14 June 2012, 00:31   #68
Help

The themes dont matter its the kickrom thats being used to make things work,all the theme will do is change the colour of the desktop and icons obviously i wont change the kickrom thats being used.

The only way to change the kickrom and for the WB pack to *work correctly* is to make a Classic workbench pack that actually installs with kick 1.3.

The only one we have closest to this is Green alien pack which uses kick 2.04 which is the Amiga 500+ but its not good enough,i remember the A500+ that i had in 1991/2,it was incompatible with alot of games.

I just found this on wiki...i already knew this anyhow as i have said.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiga_500_Plus
Compatibility problems

Due to the new Kickstart, quite a few popular games (such as SWIV, Treasure Island Dizzy and Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge) failed to work on the Amiga 500+, and some people took them back to dealers demanding an original Kickstart 1.3 Amiga 500. This problem was solved by third-parties who produced Kickstart ROM switching boards, that could allow the Amiga 500+ to be downgraded to Kickstart 1.2 or 1.3. It also encouraged game developers to use better programming habits, which was important since Commodore already had plans for the introduction of the next-generation Amiga 1200 computer. A program, Relokick, was also released (and included with an issue of CU Amiga) which loaded a Kickstart 1.3 ROM image into memory and booted the machine into Kickstart 1.3, allowing incompatible software to run.

Like i said before Kick 1.3 is the best kick you can have for game compatibility,it runs the most games with no problems apart from AGA games(a1200) obviously,every other kickrom in my opinion is not needed and is just there for novelty purposes.

All you need is WB classic packs using Kick 1.3 and 3.1,anything else is not needed if your gaming.
Considering that 1.3 is the best kick im surprised there is no WB classic pack that is installed using the 1.3 kick,the 2.04 from Amiga 500+ is nowhere near as good as it shows.

I only use Winaue btw.

Last edited by Help; 14 June 2012 at 00:36.
Old 14 June 2012, 12:39   #69
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

both those games have an WHD install negating the need for ks1.3/wb1/3 enviroment
Old 14 June 2012, 17:41   #70
Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfrog View Post
both those games have an WHD install negating the need for ks1.3/wb1/3 enviroment
Do they work for you cause they dont work for me along with many others while using winuae.

The purpose of WHDinstall just allows certain games to run from a hardisk which originally was never intended to do,it has nothing to do with kickstarts or game compatibility so i have no idea what point your trying to get across.
Old 14 June 2012, 20:30   #71
Graham Humphrey

It has everything to do with game compatibility, that's the whole point! It's not just about getting them to run from hard disk, it's about patching the code so it runs correctly on more advanced setups. If you can't get those games to work with WHDLoad then you're doing something wrong.
Old 15 June 2012, 17:05   #72
Help

How do you work that out if its a different kickrom?If that was the case like you say then A1200(AGA) games would work on the Amiga 500+ green alien pack would it not?Im not doing anything wrong mate,alot of games work but some do not,they dont even work when using ADF's within winaue while using Amiga 500+ as they aint compatible using this kickrom.

Anyhow it doesent matter,if a 1.3 based kick gets released then ill use a WB classic pack,if not then ill continue to use what i have that works regarding WHDLoad and Kilergorillas packs and ADF's.

I wont hold my breath for a 1.3 kick based pack though.

Last edited by Help; 15 June 2012 at 17:29.
Old 16 June 2012, 09:22   #73
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

why would an aga game work on ecs chip set ??
Old 16 June 2012, 13:26   #74
Help

Like graham humphrey said it's about *patching the code so it runs correctly on more advanced setups*,some ecs games do not work on an aga chipset.
Old 03 August 2012, 01:26   #75
Bloodwych

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTD View Post
Is it possible that Packmast use some kind of libs that is 68020 instead, or is packmast truely need of that 68020 cpu code.

Which I could code on amiga, but dont have skills for that, maybe someone can make a 68000 version of Packmast, I don't care if it takes 15 minutes to unpack some stuff, just it can handle same formats on 68000.

Any other news for a fix for PackMast?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
I'll try and remember to look this weekend, but if PackMaster doesn't work then the only fix is to remove it or replace it.
I've now fixed this by replacing Packmaster with a new CLI Unpacker in the GAAE and 68K packs, so you can now Unpack archives using the popup menu on a 68000 machine. Of course you always had the option of using Dopus and the "Arc Ext" button to unpack also.

Packmaster is indeed 020 only it seems, even though the docs don't mention it.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 03 August 2012 at 01:31.
Old 25 April 2015, 11:22   #76
Kokos
!rulez

Arrow

Hi pals! I would like to ask the same question as spannernick:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spannernick View Post
Is it possible to change themes once you've installed CWB..?

And can you install this theme on CW ADVSP..?
I have A1200 + ACA 1232 030/33MHz 128MB RAM + Indivision - this is why I chose Classic Workbench ADVSP that from description seems to be the most dedicated for such a configuration.

The thing is I don't really like these new icons which looks unclear to me in 16 colours (this is funny because years ago I used New Icons in 8 colours and they looked sharp - not sure how to switch to "classic" New Icons).

The thing is I love WB 1.3 look and I would freak out if changing the configuration of ADVSP to see WB1.3 palette, icons and gadgets would be possible.. Please let me know whether this is possible and how this can be achieved.. Even not complete solution and hard way would be appreciated!

Thank you guys a lot!
K
Old 13 June 2015, 15:13   #77
spannernick
Retro Nuts

I have some options missing in Dopus and was woundering how do you add them,here is a picture of how it looks on mine, I have 2 OSes..

WB 1.3 GAAE

And other picture on ADVSP

Old 13 June 2015, 15:38   #78
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

If you make a right click on the top white bar, where the Dopus name is you can click on Project, Configure.

But to have the same Dopus configuration you can just copy the entire Dopus drawer contents of the version you like to the other. I tell so because I don't know if they use the same Dopus version. If the versions are the same probably it's enough if you copy the S drawer inside the Dopus program, where it stores the configuration.

In CWBAdvSP the Dopus program is in System:Programs.
Old 13 June 2015, 15:46   #79
spannernick
Retro Nuts

Thanks will try that,Hows it going have not been here for a while,like the look of Real Amikit,looking good.
Old 13 June 2015, 15:51   #80
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

If you are going to substitute it, be careful and just rename the existing files, to keep them as a backup, just to try the new files.

It's going well mate