English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 18 August 2008, 16:03   #1
jmmijo

SSD + Amiga

There has been plenty of talk about using CF drives with various Amiga models, has anybody tried any of the latest SSD drives yet ?!?

Most likely not due to the pricing and the fact most of them are not IDE interfaced, but rather SATAI/II interfaced.

I know you can get SATA2IDE bridge boards so just wondering if this maybe something that could come to pass once the pricing on the SSD's comes down a lot.

Interesting articles over at Tom's Hardware Guide on using these as replacements for your existing mechanical HDD in both notebook and desktop applications.

I'm thinking more along the lines of say a GVP A530 Turbo or even inside your A600/1200 as these drives do not produce much in the way of heat.
Old 18 August 2008, 16:10   #2
tonyyeb
Has the Amiga bug again

Send a message via MSN to tonyyeb
Not tried a SATA to PATA adapter but I think CF-IDE and a compact flash card is still cheaper than an SSD drive alone. Plus you get the remove-ability with CF. It would be intesting to see if it would work.
Old 18 August 2008, 18:11   #3
gklinger
Vegetable Lasagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmijo View Post
There has been plenty of talk about using CF drives with various Amiga models, has anybody tried any of the latest SSD drives yet ?!?
I talked about it here and as it happens, I picked up one of those 8GB solid state drives (this one) this past weekend. Temptation got the better of me so I went for it. I haven't decided what I'm going to do with it yet.

It's worth saying that it provides no real advantage over a CF to IDE adaptor and a CF card which can usually be had for less.
Old 20 August 2008, 09:09   #4
MagerValp

Considering the low performance of Amiga hard disk controllers, spending big bucks on a fast SSD drive seems like a waste of money. A CF card will be just as fast and is much, much cheaper.
Old 20 August 2008, 10:11   #5
gklinger
Vegetable Lasagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagerValp View Post
Considering the low performance of Amiga hard disk controllers, spending big bucks on a fast SSD drive seems like a waste of money.
There's no need to spend big bucks on a fast SSD when you can spend small bucks of a slow one. Allow me to play devil's advocate for a moment. Compare this 8GB SSD for $100 with this 8GB CF card for $90 (disclaimer: I bought one of each for use in my Amigas). With the SSD you don't require a CF-IDE adaptor and while they can be had for $1 but it seems like some folks are spending 10 time that in which case it negates the price difference. My point is that the CF card/SSD price gap is closing quickly.
Old 20 August 2008, 10:34   #6
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Let me be the true devils advocate and mention you can get cheap 8GB CF cards for under $20!

Also SSD's cannot (obviously) be used with PCMCIA adapters.
Old 20 August 2008, 10:58   #7
gklinger
Vegetable Lasagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Let me be the true devils advocate and mention you can get cheap 8GB CF cards for under $20!
The cheapest 8GB CF card I was able to find locally was an A-Data for $33.50 and I hesitated to buy it because I had read reports from several people saying they had problems with A-Data cards in their Amigas. The SanDisk, on the other hand, seemed highly regarded by everyone.

Anyway, I'm certainly not disagreeing with the assertion that CF cards are cheaper. I'm just trying to illustrate that the price difference isn't as dramatic as it once was.

Quote:
Also SSD's cannot (obviously) be used with PCMCIA adapters.
That's true. They can however be put into $5 USB 2.0 hard disk enclosures.

Look, I gotta be honest and admit that I find certain things 'neat' and I can't resist buying them. I was desperate to find a way to justify buying an SSD and the Amiga fit the bill. The problem I'm having now is that I *really* want to buy an IDE flash module.
Old 20 August 2008, 11:13   #8
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by gklinger View Post
The cheapest 8GB CF card I was able to find locally was an A-Data for $33.50 and I hesitated to buy it because I had read reports from several people saying they had problems with A-Data cards in their Amigas.
I found several sources for Leisurestore 8GB CF from as little as $18.99 + shipping. Cards from this manufacturer are known to work well with Amiga's.

Quote:
That's true. They can however be put into $5 USB 2.0 hard disk enclosures.
And that helps you transfer files to your mate's Amiga how?

With a CF card you can use it with any Amiga (with the drivers) as an external hard drive with a $5 PCMCIA->CF adapter.

Quote:
The problem I'm having now is that I *really* want to buy an IDE flash module.
I bet you $10 that is little more than a CF card with the packaging removed and an IDE connector soldered on.
Old 21 August 2008, 01:15   #9
gklinger
Vegetable Lasagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
I found several sources for Leisurestore 8GB CF from as little as $18.99 + shipping. Cards from this manufacturer are known to work well with Amiga's.
That's a hell of a price.

Quote:
And that helps you transfer files to your mate's Amiga how?
Ah, I thought you were talking about the ease of connecting it to a PC for OS installation etc. Being able to put the CF card into an Amiga via a PCMCIA adaptor is a definite plus. Coincidentally, someone in the EAB CF card compatibility thread seemed to have a problem using a Leisurestore CF card in the PCMCIA slot (it may have been the adaptor). Go figure.

Quote:
I bet you $10 that is little more than a CF card with the packaging removed and an IDE connector soldered on.
They're very similar, I'll grant you that.
Old 21 August 2008, 10:33   #10
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
That's a hell of a price.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=280257948900