English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 12 August 2002, 08:55   #1
Gregory

Here's the problem.

I'm having trouble loading up frontier. It asks for explosion.library v4+. I have the explosion.library and I put it in my amiga programs folder. However I am not able to activate it, I keep getting the same message when I try to load the frontier hdf.

Old 12 August 2002, 11:42   #2
LordBug

Libraries belong in libs

Try putting it there, rebooting the Amiga, and loading Frontier again.
Old 12 August 2002, 13:56   #3
TikTok

And if it still doesn't work after that, you can check the version of the library you have using this line from the Shell:

version explode.library
Old 12 August 2002, 16:08   #4
thomas

Frontier does not need any library. Trash your pirate copy and get the original version. AFAIK it's free now.
Old 12 August 2002, 19:18   #5
Amiga1992

Yep, your crack was packed it seems. Chuck exploder.library in a LIBS dir inside the Frontier disk! wont work if you put it in some other place.
Old 12 August 2002, 20:50   #6
Djay
95th User

i've copied the whole disk to a real amiga hd with no probs, i've also used the fairlight and original versions on WinUAE with no probs

Last edited by Djay; 12 August 2002 at 23:19.
Old 12 August 2002, 22:35   #7
Gregory

Well according to goodtools it's checksum verifyed. But no matter, it's out of my League so let's try something I hope is simpler.

How do I run Lure of the temptress? there's no hdf file. It's a HD game. Here's what's in the folder:

lott.d1
lott.d2
lott.d3
lott.d4
luresave.dir
LureHD
LureHD.info

Old 12 August 2002, 23:18   #8
Djay
95th User

up it the zone and i'll test it for you
Old 13 August 2002, 02:31   #9
Gregory

Quote:
Originally posted by Djay
up it the zone and i'll test it for you
Game was sucessfully uploaded to the zone.

//TG: please don't link directly to files in the Zone.

Old 13 August 2002, 07:13   #10
LordBug

Downloaded.
Tested.
Works.

Once you have it on your "Amiga", it should be obvious what to run. Just double click the big "Lure of the Temptress" icon (that's "LureHD" BTW).
Old 13 August 2002, 08:16   #11
Gregory

Quote:
Originally posted by LordBug
Downloaded.
Tested.
Works.

Once you have it on your "Amiga", it should be obvious what to run. Just double click the big "Lure of the Temptress" icon (that's "LureHD" BTW).
Um..nope and nope. I'll start from scratch here. I've downloaded WinUAE0821R4. I've downloaded the 3.1 version of Kickstart. I've downloaded the HD file.

There are no icons, because with just that, you only get command line interfaces. However, after scratching my head at how in the hell you can get icons in amiga I started surfing around and found workbench 3.1. Now I have icons.

However, the game still does not run. It gives me this error:

Unable to open your tool 'jst'

now that you know exactly what I have, that might shed some light on what the problem is.

Old 13 August 2002, 13:46   #12
AdamSelene

The JST tool is part of a package called JOTD Startup, by Jean-Francois Fabre. You can download it from Aminet. The link for it is:

http://www.aminet.net/game/patch/jst.lha

Dearchive it, and have a gander at the readme file that comes with it for installation instructions.

Hope that helps!

Old 13 August 2002, 19:53   #13
LordBug

Ah, I didn't realize I was dealing with a true Amiga newbie

Besides getting JST, I suggest getting WHDLoad.

Also remember that the Amiga Kickstart ROM, Amiga OS, most applications, and some games are NOT legal to download. In case you actually care, you can get legal ROM and OS images by buying Amiga Forever, from Cloanto. Legal games and apps are available for download at Back to the Root.
Old 13 August 2002, 20:07   #14
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by LordBug
Ah, I didn't realize I was dealing with a true Amiga newbie

Besides getting JST, I suggest getting WHDLoad.

Also remember that the Amiga Kickstart ROM, Amiga OS, most applications, and some games are NOT legal to download. In case you actually care, you can get legal ROM and OS images by buying Amiga Forever, from Cloanto. Legal games and apps are available for download at Back to the Root.
Thanks alot man, and yes indeed I am a complete and total newbie to amiga emulation. But not a newbie to emulation in general, and especially legality in emulation, though I did make that mistake of posting that link, I just thought that because the zone was a part of the site, it would be ok, lesson learned.

I'll post a responce of the results of the implementation.

Old 14 August 2002, 00:35   #15
Gregory

stamps an "F-it" on the project.

Well guys, thanks for everything. But it's beyond my reasoning. I can figure out windows, I can figure out dos commands and such, i've even mastered other computer emulators for windows such as commodore 64 and x68000 and a few others. But Amiga is an Enigma that I can not solve.

I know for some it's pretty simple, all I can say to that is that one man's plastic lid is another man's rubix cube. And no, I never solved a rubix cube without cheating (smirks). And I can't figure out how to cheat to solve this puzzle of an emu either.

It was the tools that were my downfall, you need this tool for that, but to install it you need another tool, it goes on and on but when I got the error message needing a tool 'installer' for installing a program called...you guessed it, "installer". that's when I told myself it's time to hang it up and settle for "pirate's cove" text adventure game for the commodore vic 20.

Take care.

Old 14 August 2002, 01:51   #16
LordBug

Quote:
I got the error message needing a tool 'installer' for installing a program called...you guessed it, "installer

It sounds like Workbench (the OS) isn't installed correctly. You need to get your hands on good workbench disk images (2-5, depending on version). Booting off the install disk should give you a desktop, and from there you can install Workbench to a hardfile. If your OS disks only boot to a prompt, they're no good. Amiga Forever comes with a usable set of images, I think (it's been a while since I looked over what it installs).
Old 14 August 2002, 05:10   #17
Amiga1992

Re: stamps an "F-it" on the project.

Quote:
Originally posted by Gregory
[...]but when I got the error message needing a tool 'installer' for installing a program called...you guessed it, "installer". that's when I told myself it's time to hang it up and settle for "pirate's cove" text adventure game for the commodore vic 20.
Hehehehe, that was really funny

I know how you feel man. A lot of friends of mine who collect computers think the Amiga is something they can't handle, a mistery. I tell them it's dead easy! But then again, I've been on the platform for 10 years or so. So understand where you're coming from.

I think you should download an "Amiga for Dummies" pack (no offense mate!). http://aiab.emuunlim.com would get you started with most of what you need.

Also, for HD games, try TomTom's place. His zips always include WHDLoad, JST or whichever other tool you might need to get you up and running in seconds! Tomtom's AmigaHD gmes site cn be locted at http://www.tomtoms.amiga-spiele.net/

I hope you don't give up on the Amiga marvel Cheers!