English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 16 April 2004, 17:57   #1
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Icons Destroyed

After setting up P96 on my WinUAE installation no WHDLoad games or programs work any more. The screen goes black and I hear sound, but I don't see anything (the size of the Window also changes).

Anyway, I set up a blank 3.1 installation to use, and was browsing through my giant folder of software to install on my real Amiga when I get it back and obviously all the icons either looked crap or were dots. Well, to my horror, after going back to the 3.9 install they all looked the same! They were now all either dots or 8 colour crapped up icons.

To test to make sure it was 3.1 doing this, I went back to 3.1 and opened the A-Train folder, then went back to 3.9, and sure enough, it was all wrecked and mangled.
Does anyone know if there is any way to get the icons back or restored or am I stuck with thousands of now mangled and usless icons?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	icons.png
Views:	361
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	6675  
Old 16 April 2004, 18:03   #2
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

The only things I did to the icons was unsnapsot all the folders in the root folder (the big window) to use Thomas' method of file sorting. The A-Train icons were snapshoted.

So basically using either of those features on anything other than 3.9 seems to ruin the icons
Old 16 April 2004, 18:29   #3
Bloodwych

Are these directories on a HDF or in a PC folder?
Old 16 April 2004, 18:31   #4
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

PC folder mapped as a drive.
Old 16 April 2004, 18:40   #5
Bloodwych

Hmmmm....I'm wondering if that has something to do with it.

As you probably know, each icon .info file contains two images - one old format (that can be simply a dot to reduce the image size) and one new (either a newicon or OS3.5+ glowicon).

When using PC directories in WinUAE, I THINK extra icon info not supported by the windows filesystem like snapshot position is contained in the ___uae__whatever file. That's why I use HDFs - I like to have full filesystem compatibility without all these junk files. Plus Toni has mentioned using PC directories is still not perfect.

Perhaps if you delete all those __uae__whatever files in the directory by doing a search for "UAE", everything will go back to normal.

Best to wait for conformation first, or try it on a small sample.
Old 16 April 2004, 18:44   #6
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Nope, deleting them all had no effect on anything.
Old 16 April 2004, 22:49   #7
thomas

Well, snapshotting an icon on OS3.9 converts it to an OS3.9 icon, which cannot be displayed by OS3.1 or NewIcons. So it reverts back to the 4-color icon which is still stored in the icon file. Unfotunately most NewIcons icons have this 4-color icon replaced by a little dot to save some space.

AFAIK there is no easy way to convert the icons back from OS3.9 icons to NewIcons, so they can be displayed correctly. The icons should show correctly when icon.library V44 is active (the one which comes with OS3.5+). Then you can convert them back using a program on Aminet. Don't remember the name. It needs both the new icon.library and the original newicon.library installed at the same time.
Old 16 April 2004, 22:52   #8
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

I'm not trying to convert them. They (were) glowicons and I am trying to view them in OS3.9... and the ones that weren't seem to now be stuck in some sort of 8 colour or less mode.
Old 17 April 2004, 01:00   #9
thomas

Quote:
Originally posted by Enverex
I'm not trying to convert them. They (were) glowicons and I am trying to view them in OS3.9... and the ones that weren't seem to now be stuck in some sort of 8 colour or less mode.
Well, your screenshot looks as if you were looking into a folder full of a mixture out of MagicWB, NewIcons and OS3.9 icons from a clean 3.1 install without any patches.

Perhaps something went wrong with your "going back to the 3.9 install" ? Check in Prefs/Workbench that "No color icons" is unchecked and "Set MagicWB colors" is checked. Also check that icon.library is version 44 or above.

BTW, you didn't snapshot the dots, did you ? If you did, the color icons have been scratched. Snapshot means that what you see (and only that) will be preserved.
Old 17 April 2004, 01:03   #10
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

No, I only "un"snapshotted the contents of the folder. Icon.library is v45.1
Old 17 April 2004, 13:38   #11
thomas

Quote:
No, I only "un"snapshotted the contents of the folder. Icon.library is v45.1
This makes no difference. Was icon.library also V45 (OS3.9) when you did the unsnapshot ?
Old 17 April 2004, 13:57   #12
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Nope. So I assume thats what did it. Snapshotting, yeah, I can see that being a problem, but unsnapshotting? Gay
Old 17 April 2004, 15:23   #13
thomas

Quote:
Nope. So I assume thats what did it. Snapshotting, yeah, I can see that being a problem, but unsnapshotting? Gay
Snapshot and unsnapshot both do the same: they save the image in memory back to disk after the position has been changed. For snapshot the icon is saved with the current position and for unsnapshot the icon is saved with NO_ICON_POSITION as coordinates. But both clean up the icon file, only saving the supported features. Fortunately NewIcon images are saved in form of tooltypes and as such are transparent to icon.library. But OS3.9 icon images are saved as a seperate IFF structure behind the usual icon structure. And this extra data is removed when saving the icon with icon.library V40 or below.
Old 17 April 2004, 15:27   #14
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

And therein lies the problem. Well, it would have been nice if this was more widely known (you could have mentioned it in your thread too about listing files)