English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 24 September 2018, 19:08   #281
NorthWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolla View Post
For example, I would require them to have command line template (the ".key") defined, so that the shell can extract that without even running the binary, and offer them for completion.
That's just for starters. I have been led to believe the IBM AS/400 has an intelligent shell/cli that can parse and react to all commands.
That would indicate that if you want to use a command that interacts with a disk/mount it will cycle (or pop up a list) through only disks - if you use a command that needs a screenmode option it can cycle through choices or pop up a screenmode selector.

Now that would be an intelligent shell!
Old 24 September 2018, 20:02   #282
Locutus

Look up Fish' intelligent autocompleter and be amazed ;-)
Old 24 September 2018, 20:30   #283
amigo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexaae View Post
One of most wanted feature missing in Amiga Shell unfortunately.
On the Amiga Shell you can only use "+" with Run to execute multiple commands in one go (RETURN at the end of each line):
run List +
echo Ciao! +
dir +
Wasn't there a way to do that with "ctrl-j"?
e.g.:

dir [ctrl-j]
copy directory/#?.iff to ram: [ctrl-j]
delete ram:#?.iff [return/enter]
Old 24 September 2018, 22:18   #284
hexaae
Bug hunter

There's a slight difference.
Ctrl-j breaks the lines and executes the commands separately. Just the same as if you executed them one AFTER another "buffered".

Run <cmd> +
<cmd2> +

executes everything in one go: you'll notice the difference in CON: output history (with KCON for example) and their output will be consecutive.
Old 24 September 2018, 22:26   #285
DamienD
Banned

Surely if via Shell you are going to stack up numerous lines / commands then you'd put them in a script file and run that?
Old 24 September 2018, 23:27   #286
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthWay View Post
I have been led to believe the IBM AS/400 has an intelligent shell/cli that can parse and react to all commands.
Now that would be an intelligent shell!
There are lots of things to appreciate about an AS/400.
Anything involving "shell/CLI" is not in that list IMHO. ;-)
Yeah, there is the PACE environment for kind of shell work, but it is FAR from anything that people who are used to shells will appreciate... ;-)

I know my AS/400 stuff is more than a bit rusty, but I think you have been led somewhere errantly. ;-)

desiv
Old 25 September 2018, 07:20   #287
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Surely if via Shell you are going to stack up numerous lines / commands then you'd put them in a script file and run that?
In a bourne compatible shell it's quite common to do longer scripts in interactive mode. Sometimes as a oneliner, piping commands into each other, sometimes with the commands on multiple lines. It's a quick way to loop through a bunch of files or lines in a text file, or what have you.

I sorely miss this in cmd and also somewhat in powershell. I find that I often have to declare functions first and then make my "oneliner" out of the functions I declared beforehand in powershell.
Old 25 September 2018, 10:08   #288
kolla
Banned

In AmigaShell it's not even possible to make functions
(though using [] in aliases to some very small degree make up for that)

I also don't bother much with temporary scripts in AmigaShell, but rather use lformat, sed, earg and pipes.
Old 25 September 2018, 12:01   #289
bubbob42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Ooh, it's like a lo-fi version of the 3.9 prefs
At first, I tried to imitate the look of the OS3.9 prefs as much as possible. Problem is - from a designer's perspective, most OS3.9 ReAction-based prefs are not very beautiful. Sometimes it looks like the gadgets have just been thrown all over the window - ok, I'm exaggerating here.

Also some things are not possible with GadTools or - like font sensitivity - require lots of changes. So we now have another, very classic look for most of the Prefs. Some will like it, some probably not.
Old 25 September 2018, 12:47   #290
peceha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbob42 View Post
...So we now have another, very classic look for most of the Prefs. Some will like it, some probably not. ....
Me like it !!!
Old 25 September 2018, 12:59   #291
Jope
-

Quote:
So we now have another, very classic look for most of the Prefs. Some will like it, some probably not.
Based on what I've heard so far, this takes exactly the relevant improvements from 3.9 and ditches reaction, so I'm happy. :-D
Old 25 September 2018, 14:02   #292
kolla
Banned

GTlayout.library could be used, I hear the author is still active and reachable
Old 25 September 2018, 15:51   #293
hexaae
Bug hunter

Quote:
At first, I tried to imitate the look of the OS3.9 prefs as much as possible. Problem is - from a designer's perspective, most OS3.9 ReAction-based prefs are not very beautiful. Sometimes it looks like the gadgets have just been thrown all over the window - ok, I'm exaggerating here.

Also some things are not possible with GadTools or - like font sensitivity - require lots of changes. So we now have another, very classic look for most of the Prefs. Some will like it, some probably not.
OpenTriton on Aminet is a powerful lib that simply makes things much easier for coders (e.g. font-sensitive gui etc.) and still uses GadTools (even SYSIHack, MCP or Visualprefs will still work fine)…
Doesn't need subclasses or complex installation, just triton.library (50KB) in LIBS: and will simplify any GadTools GUI creation. It could be rewritten/modified and included in the OS maybe.

Last edited by hexaae; 25 September 2018 at 16:00.
Old 25 September 2018, 16:26   #294
Romanujan

GTLayout? OpenTriton? IMHO bad ideas, I would like to be able to use preferences programs without installing 3rd party libraries. The OS 3.1.4 team did it the only reasonable way.
Old 25 September 2018, 16:42   #295
hexaae
Bug hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanujan View Post
GTLayout? OpenTriton? IMHO bad ideas, I would like to be able to use preferences programs without installing 3rd party libraries. The OS 3.1.4 team did it the only reasonable way.
The problem is that GadTools is complicated. The reason why they kept fixed size windows + topaz.font is because of this. "Something" to simplify the life of developers, giving at the same time the users a better interface respecting GadTools standards and compatibility would be appreciated.
OpenTriton is free software under GPL and maybe could become part of the OS.
Old 25 September 2018, 17:17   #296
kolla
Banned

In case it wasn't obvious, I mentioned gtlayout.library because it was made by Olaf Barthel, so not exactly third party
Old 25 September 2018, 17:52   #297
Daedalus

Quote:

Oh, don't get me wrong, I've no problem with the plain GadTools look (and even use it in some of my own programs) on a 3.1 system - it fits right in and I'm looking forward to seeing the other updated programs too. It's just funny seeing those options laid out that way when I'm so used to seeing the 3.9 version.
Old 25 September 2018, 18:04   #298
bubbob42

Quote:
The problem is that GadTools is complicated. The reason why they kept fixed size windows + topaz.font is because of this.
Let's say it's limited, because it has no layout functions. You can implement your own layouting, as I did in the past for other projects, but it will blow up the code. Funny sidenote: parts of the new interface - e.g. the frames around the sections - are already size sensitive, because that was easier to code than fixed coordinates. The user just won't notice it.

Using a gadget toolkit in ROM for basic OS applications is also a strong argument, as it'll save a lot of memory. As a consequence, 3.1.4 will work even with low-end machines, though the memory requirements surpass 3.1 a bit.
Old 25 September 2018, 23:28   #299
AC/DC HACKER!

Quote:
There's a slight difference.
Ctrl-j breaks the lines and executes the commands separately. Just the same as if you executed them one AFTER another "buffered".

Run <cmd> +
<cmd2> +

executes everything in one go: you'll notice the difference in CON: output history (with KCON for example) and their output will be consecutive.
Hmmm... I've always just used:

Program1[CTRL+Enter]
Program2[CTRL+Enter]
Program3[CTRL+Enter]
Program4[Enter]

Then First runs, exit it if needed then the other one runs, and so on. It's a simple way to use Shell for simple projects. I haven't use "+" at all. I also adore KCON. I remember one day doing something and I pressed and held CTRL for something and went for another key besides Enter and..voila! I wondered, "Whhhhaaat?? It's not......executing ?anything?" and then I entered in another program name after and pressed return. I thought it to be very cool.

Not long after that I applied this to other stuff.. AmigaDOS is very good at passing commands to stuff and "buffering" them ready for the next program. Once you get good at it, it can looks like there's a "Ghost in The Machine", haha! I showed it to some people where I lived at the time. Glad to see this post, I had wondered through the years how many others knew about it. With "+" or not.
Old 26 September 2018, 00:44   #300
hexaae
Bug hunter

Run <cmd> +
<cmd2> +

is different though as explained above.
Ctrl+j or Ctrl+Enter is the same.