English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 12 June 2020, 10:51   #41
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelord View Post
I tried MUI5 a while back and compatibility was dreadful. I was getting all kinds of screen corruption issues and programs failing. To be fair, I'd had trouble with my ZZ9000 too, but even so it just wasn't worth the slowdown for me, and this is on an 060/50.

Ultimately everything works on 3.8, so there's very little value in upgrading unless you're emulating and want shiny new looks. If you want shiny new looks, I'm not sure an Amiga is the best platform.

Everyone has their own tastes, if you love to have a good looking and more functional Amiga RTG, better use MUI5, applications in particular the more "modern" is the best choice is MUI5.

Many people still love Win2000 or WinXP but of course it's much better to use Win7 or Win10, first for Compatibility with new Applications and second for Security and stability that the latest OS offer.

MUI5 with MUI5 PatchASL on OS3 RTG Modern makes a system much more stable than one with MUI 3.x or MUI 4.x

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 12 June 2020 at 16:15.
Old 12 June 2020, 12:10   #42
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

I'm glad I made a back-up before proceeding. I upgraded from MUI 4 to MUI 5. My experience was as follows:

1. MUI apps took a LOT longer to open. It was a surprising and noticeable change.

2. The following error may be a bug in FS-UAE as I see no reason why MUI 5 would have caused it, but after running *any* MUI app, my palette changed. This was noticeable opening other apps, particularly DOPUS 4.17, and my icon's 2nd state (clicked on/highlighted) was completely off. I rebooted twice to make sure it wasn't a fluke of some kind. I confirmed MUI 5 was installed by running it from within iBrowse.

3. I didn't see any change in the MUI apps I own - none. They still looked the same. I expected to see a little polish I suppose but there was nothing really to note other than a bit of lag when running them. The amount of time it took to launch them was a real deal-breaker along with the weird system-wide palette change noted above.

I returned to my previous state with the back-up and all is well.
Old 12 June 2020, 12:25   #43
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselrama View Post
2. The following error may be a bug in FS-UAE as I see no reason why MUI 5 would have caused it, but after running *any* MUI app, my palette changed. This was noticeable opening other apps, particularly DOPUS 4.17, and my icon's 2nd state (clicked on/highlighted) was completely off...
Switch the Jit off in FS-UAE. At least the recent versions 3.0.3-3.0.5 have (a) bug(s) in the Jit code, don't know how long that exists already, but I noticed problems with my icon.library when the Jit is enabled for 68040 or 060.
Old 12 June 2020, 12:49   #44
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Switch the Jit off in FS-UAE. At least the recent versions 3.0.3-3.0.5 have (a) bug(s) in the Jit code, don't know how long that exists already, but I noticed problems with my icon.library when the Jit is enabled for 68040 or 060.
Thanks for the reply, PeterK. My palette issues cropped up in 3.0.3; I started using FS-UAE slightly over a year ago with v 3.0.2. This isn't a show-stopper. I know the palette issue (although no where near as pronounced as with my MUI 5 test) is going to crop up after playing a game such as Duke or Quake so I just restart FS-UAE. I can always tell continuing is going to be an issue by firing up DOPUS 4 - if the palette is wonky, I restart. I'd not go back to not using JIT if I can help it and after reading your comment, I played around in my config and didn't notice any icon issues between JIT on and JIT off. I have the latest stable release of your icon.library. This is not to say it isn't causing an issue, it's just not a show-stopper at the moment in my config.

Occassionally, I'll start FS-UAE for a session and man, the icons' second-states' are funky and DOPUS reveals the palette is off. I merely restart and all is well.

However, I'm wondering if this isn't related to the halfcolor issue experienced in both WinUAE and FS-UAE. I'm going to try the "Atari" fix here shortly and put my config through its paces. It's an option placed in Custom Configuration. I'll report back later.

Cheers!

Last edited by Weaselrama; 12 June 2020 at 12:53. Reason: add info, spell check
Old 12 June 2020, 13:42   #45
Daedalus

Are you using RTG or native Amiga modes within your emulation? MUI 5 is intended more for RTG-based systems so conversions have to be done for native screenmodes, which will slow it down and potentially introduce corruption and other issues. If you're emulating an Amiga, there's no real reason not to use RTG.
Old 12 June 2020, 14:32   #46
PeterK

@Weaselrama
There are many things that may have influence on the palette. Which screen mode are you using, how many colors, for Workbench, for Dopus4, for your games? Did you try to open Dopus4 on its own screen with its own palette?

If Dopus4 is just a window on Workbench then it has to share the palette with other applications. Usually, pen colors should not change as long as they are still used by one or more apps, and the reference counter for a shared pen is not back to zero, but some programs don't care about that. Or sometimes they never release all pens on exit.

Then you could try a Reset from the WB tools menu to remap the screen. Or use a tool like FullPalette with a locked (16 color) palette, which should repair wrong colors automatically.

Can you post a screenshot of your funky selected icons and what is the half-color issue?
Old 12 June 2020, 15:04   #47
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Quote:
Can you post a screenshot of your funky selected icons and what is the half-color issue?
Yes, next time it occurs I'll post screenies here. I'll definitely try the reset WB option as well. The halfcolor issue is related to games and frankly, I went back over the discussion and it really doesn't affect me - I misinterpreted the issue. Sometimes apparently, game colors aren't rendered properly and are faded. The "Atari" fix merely sets the color brilliance higher.

Thanks for the "reset" tip!
Old 12 June 2020, 15:08   #48
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Are you using RTG or native Amiga modes within your emulation? MUI 5 is intended more for RTG-based systems so conversions have to be done for native screenmodes, which will slow it down and potentially introduce corruption and other issues. If you're emulating an Amiga, there's no real reason not to use RTG.
RTG all the way, yes.
Old 12 June 2020, 16:09   #49
AMIGASYSTEM

You should attach a screenshot or better make a Video to see what happens, to me Dopus4 has never given any problem with colors.

If on an RTG Screen you have color messed up that Dopus4 on the Request example when you search for a string on ub text, that problem is eliminated by Dopus4 Prefs.

AmikitX MUI5 PatchASL:

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 17 June 2020 at 16:01.
Old 12 June 2020, 16:47   #50
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
You should attach a screenshot
Next time it happens, I'll get a screenshot. As I said, this is intermittent. When it happens again, I'll get and post a screenie.
Old 12 June 2020, 20:30   #51
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Ok, here's some screenshots. This occurred after shutting down FS-UAE after testing Milkytracker. I'm going to post this in TWO parts.

First, DOPUS 4:

1. Dopus normal color scheme.

2. Dopus abnormal color scheme. Reset WB did not fix it and in fact, made it worse.

3. Dopus after Reset WB.

The 2nd post will deal with the icon issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dopusnormal.png
Views:	152
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	67738   Click image for larger version

Name:	DOPUSBAD1.png
Views:	150
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	67739   Click image for larger version

Name:	DOPUSBAD2.png
Views:	147
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	67740  
Old 12 June 2020, 20:34   #52
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Here's the funky icon clicked second-state issue and changes to WB menus. The WB menus are normally gray.

These WERE resolved with Reset WB.

NOTE: Both of these posts are while MUI 4 is installed, not MUI 5. I don't intend re-installing MUI 5 any time soon. Too slow for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	os3-crop-2006121951-01.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	67741   Click image for larger version

Name:	os3-crop-2006121952-01.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	67742  
Old 12 June 2020, 21:32   #53
AMIGASYSTEM

I don't think the problem is MUI, Milkytracker doesn't use MUI.
I've done a lot of Milkytracker on WinUAE and never had that problem.
Old 12 June 2020, 21:45   #54
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
I don't think the problem is MUI, Milkytracker doesn't use MUI.
I've done a lot of Milkytracker on WinUAE and never had that problem.
This has nothing to do with Milkytracker at all. You and PeterK wanted screenshots of the funky palette/icon behavior. I merely said, I had shut down FS-UAE after playing with Milkytracker. What you see in the screenshots is what happens from time to time under the following conditions:

1. Starting FS-UAE, or
2. Going back to the WB after playing a game.

So no, Milkytracker has nothing to do with this. HOWEVER - this is the sort of behavior I experienced after running MUI apps under MUI 5.x.
Old 12 June 2020, 22:02   #55
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselrama View Post
Ok, here's some screenshots.
1. Dopus normal color scheme.
2. Dopus abnormal color scheme.
3. Dopus after Reset WB.
That's nothing unusual with the colors of Dopus4, I sometimes have that, too. Dopus4 is just sharing colors or pens with other applications.

You can try to get better results by changing the color settings in WBPattern and Workbench Preferences and for some picture datatypes to a lower "quality" if they don't use TrueColor in order to leave more free pens for Dopus4. In the MagicMenu Preferences activate "share Workbench colors" or something similar and quality GUI, but don't use any exclusive pen allocation. Scouts screen/window information can tell you how much pens are used or still free.

Maybe you can upload this "games" icon with the low quality selected image. I can't see any other differences on your screenshots.

Last edited by PeterK; 12 June 2020 at 22:10.
Old 12 June 2020, 22:17   #56
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Quote:
That's nothing unusual with the colors of Dopus4, I sometimes have that, too. Dopus4 is just sharing colors or pens with other applications.

Maybe you can upload this "games" icon with the low quality selected image. I can't see any other differences on your screenshots.
Weird that it would happen at FS-UAE startup, however. Otherwise, I'll look into your suggestions. Not a show-stopper an easily overcome with a restart but I wasn't aware DOPUS shared pens with other apps. Since I strive for a unified Workbench, DOPUS is definitely using Workbench-specific colors.

The icon is probably too small to see. Yes, I'll post it larger with the "correct" clicked second-state side by side. I'll get to that shortly.
Old 12 June 2020, 22:21   #57
PeterK

No, I can see that the icon colors are not looking good, but please upload the icon file or disk.info, so that I can examine the image format and data. Thx!

Does this happen with other icons, too?
Old 12 June 2020, 22:38   #58
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Quote:
No, I can see that the icon colors are not looking good, but please upload the icon file or disk.info, so that I can examine the image format and data. Thx!

Does this happen with other icons, too?

It affects ALL of the Mason/Mason-like icons I utilize in OS3.9. Some are less noticeable depending on their foreground color. I'll get you the icon file shortly. It's also a rare occurrence but odd that it can happen at the start of an FS-UAE session.
Old 12 June 2020, 22:53   #59
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Out of interest, what Screenmode is your emulated Amiga using?
Old 12 June 2020, 23:14   #60
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

@PeterK

Here's the USB Drive icon.
Attached Files
File Type: zip usb.info.zip (2.6 KB, 159 views)