English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Entertainment

Old 19 May 2018, 11:13   #2181
Retro1234
Bo Bo

Sorry but all these Comic book movies and there high ratings these are not Classics they only last a decade at most, and the Star Trek film into the Darkness you have Kirk listening to Beastie boys and Spock jumping around like a Super Hero ? Kirk and Spock???

The new Death Wish has a low rating and so does the old one from places like Rotten Tomatoes yet google users give it good reviews.

O god I feel better now
AdSense AdSense  
Old 21 May 2018, 21:36   #2182
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

So yeah, saw a couple of movies that were worth my time. Sorry Retro, also a superhero movie that I rate very highly indeed. Well, sort of a superhero movie.

Deadpool 2

A little slow to start but once the movie gets rolling its a barrel of laughs. At one point (the "baby legs" scene, you can't miss it) I was almost crying. And for the love of god - keep watching when the credits start rolling because there are some really awesome fan service scenes to follow.

The first movie was good, but in this one they get a really good ensemble together which just makes it tick all the better. And in Pool 2 they're over their own "oh my god we're so cool for making it R-rated" bit and just focused on actually making a movie rated R rather than an R-rated movie. Absolutely love it.

8/10

Solace

A clever serial killer movie that manages to have a few surprises and some really solid acting. It borrows some ideas from Seven, without becoming gruesome. Alas it was a bit too short for its own good, so once the serial killer is ultimately exposed it just rushes too much to the ultimate story gimmick (which I liked, not your usual tropes); you don't really get the chance to get a proper feel for this person. A little slower progression would have really made this movie hit harder.

6.9/10

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle

Yeah its alright. I like how this is actually made as a proper sequel to Jumanji rather than just doing the exact same thing all over again. That was a good choice that keeps the movie fresh. But I still couldn't really get too much into it for two reasons: the humor relies too much on cringe and the truly good thing from the first Jumanji is stomped on: van Pelt.

In the first movie van Pelt is the ultimate bad guy; a ruthless hunter that can't be bargained with and won't stop until he's made the kill. You really feel that throughout the movie; the animals may be a menace but van Pelt is the stuff of nightmares, a living terminator portrayed exceptionally well by the actor (Jonathan Hyde).

In this new one... he's turned into a friggin' Sith Lord portrayed by an actor not really capable of breathing life into such a stock action movie villain. Not everything needed changing from the original movie, the original van Pelt character would have still worked wonders in this iteration of the game world :/

6/10

Toc Toc

A nice Spanish movie with some good old fashioned fun that stick a group of really unique personalities with different OCD issues into a single room and lets them figure out together how they may get control over them. If you read the reviews you'll see a bunch of "oh my gerd, they're making fun of people with OCD how horrible" nonsense - I'm pretty sure people with OCD tendencies will laugh the hardest seeing this really lighthearted feelgood movie. It was a good filler of an evening on the couch, that's for sure.

7/10
Old 22 May 2018, 11:15   #2183
Retro1234
Bo Bo

Yeah I lost it a bit and my rant not amied at amy one here
I've not seen Deadpool but this is a movie that does look ok to me, I quite liked Jumanji but yeah carry on
Old 22 May 2018, 13:18   #2184
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Rating a movie is a haphazard process anyway. Its more for the fun of (momentary?) disagreement than anything else. The Beasty Boys basically saving the day in Star Trek Beyond put a big smile on my face as it just came out of nowhere, but the old Star Trek fan inside me cringed a little
Old 22 May 2018, 15:29   #2185
Retro1234
Bo Bo

The thing is I think it's probably a good movie and may even have worked with next Generation crew when they were younger but Kirk and Spock just have a different feeling surrounding them, I tried to watch it twice a felt this is a good movie but can't get over the Kirk and Spock thing
AdSense AdSense