English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 18 February 2010, 23:11   #1
Dave_wb

Adding a ATAPI IDE Drive

Hi chaps,
Can anyone help me please.I have an idefix'97 board in my trusty A1200 and run a 2.5inch hard drive and an external zip drive on it.I want to add a Pc hard drive - it is set as master as my zip is set to slave but when I use the workbench install disk and reboot the software fails to identify it.I know it works properly as I have a Pc and connected it up to check it was'nt snafu.Thanks in advance
Dave
Old 18 February 2010, 23:19   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi Dave_wb,

Have you got a separate power connection to the PC hard drive?
Old 19 February 2010, 05:30   #3
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Without loading the IDE patch from IDEfix97 you'll not see the secondary HD.
Old 19 February 2010, 08:27   #4
thomas

Quote:
run a 2.5inch hard drive and an external zip drive on it.I want to add a Pc hard drive - it is set as master as my zip is set to slave
Your assumptions are rather dangerous. Although the IDEfix board has three conectors, it has only two channels and each channel may only have one master and one slave. You already have one master and one slave on the first channel: the 2.5" HDD is the master. It shares the same channel with the ZIP drive. You may *not* connect the second HDD to the same cable as the ZIP drive, because then in conflicts with the 2.5" HDD ! The new HDD has to be connected to a seperate cable on the second channel of the IDEfix board. And whether it should be master or slave only depends on how many devices you have on the second channel, it is completely unrelated to the mode of the ZIP drive.

And as already mentioned, of course the second channel only works if the IDEfix software is active.
Old 19 February 2010, 18:58   #5
Dave_wb

Ide

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Hi Dave_wb,

Have you got a separate power connection to the PC hard drive?
Hi Prowler,
I have sorted the problem - when using hard drive toolbox I was not switching on my scsi cd drive and the Miggy was not able to read the drives properly.Power on first!!! - Thanks for your time and input - and happy amigaing
Dave
Old 19 February 2010, 19:01   #6
Dave_wb

Ide

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkauer View Post
Without loading the IDE patch from IDEfix97 you'll not see the secondary HD.
Hi,
Thanks for your interest - I have sussed it....eventually.I was not powering up the scsi cdrom and so HDToolbox could not read all of the drives.Power on first and YIPEEEEE!! Thankyou for your input and Miggy on Dude!
Dave
Old 19 February 2010, 19:04   #7
Dave_wb

Ide

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Your assumptions are rather dangerous. Although the IDEfix board has three conectors, it has only two channels and each channel may only have one master and one slave. You already have one master and one slave on the first channel: the 2.5" HDD is the master. It shares the same channel with the ZIP drive. You may *not* connect the second HDD to the same cable as the ZIP drive, because then in conflicts with the 2.5" HDD ! The new HDD has to be connected to a seperate cable on the second channel of the IDEfix board. And whether it should be master or slave only depends on how many devices you have on the second channel, it is completely unrelated to the mode of the ZIP drive.

And as already mentioned, of course the second channel only works if the IDEfix software is active.
Hi Thomas,
Thanks for your reply - I eventually sorted the problem out when I powered up my scsi cd rom first and then HDToolbox found the drive with no probs.I was beginning to think there might be something in Windoze after all.....NAH!!!
Dave