English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 19 February 2002, 12:09   #1
djmullet

Floppy disk The Great Giana Sisters

Anyone have a working ADF of this?

Also I am using adf Sender Terminal (v1.3 r3) and transdisk to copy adfs from my PC to Amiga.

Quite a few of them have Checksum errors when I try to run them (not the disks as I have tried other disks that work fine).

Is this a common problem? Are there a lot of dodgy adfs out there?

Old 19 February 2002, 12:50   #2
RetroMan

I have a cracked/trained disc here which is fully working (at least on a real Miggy ) .... I will transfer it to adf this evening and post it to the zone for you !
Old 19 February 2002, 23:01   #3
RetroMan

I´ve put my version in the zone for you It was cracked by Skyline and trained by Lightforce, maybe someone else wants to have a look at it since I don´t know if it´s allready in TOSEC or available elsewhere !
Old 11 March 2002, 01:49   #4
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
I have a cracked/trained disc here which is fully working (at least on a real Miggy )
Well well, "working" and "working" can be two different things

I just got an information from a member of another forum, and he told me there's still something to look for regarding this game: a version where the clouds are visible!
Yes, it's true. The cracked version by Lightforce does work perfectly on both emulators and real Amigas, but there are no clouds! (never realized that, eh? )
They appear on the C64 version of the game, but they don't do it in the widespread cracks of the Amiga version! The "informant" told me that this is caused by the blue sky color painted all over the background, painting over the clouds! He could modify a bit of binary code and made them visible, but this release would be a "newly hacked" release and thus would fudge the past days of the Amiga scene.
Now I want to ask:
does anyone have a (possibly NON-TOSEC) crack of this game where the clouds are visible?
This would really be a cool discovery!
Old 11 March 2002, 06:43   #5
Drake1009

You mean a cloud like in the very common (but not properly working) Red Sector crack?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4.gif
Views:	735
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	1988  
Old 11 March 2002, 13:07   #6
andreas
Zone Friend

Yes!
And besides, I've got a Red Sector crack that has NO CLOUD at the point you made the snapshot!
I think it's silly to post a pic without the cloud, I think you'd also believe me without the screenshot.

//Edit: Tested ALL three TOSECized Red Sector versions. None of them shows any clouds. So this seems a re-release by Red Sector with the clouds fix. But you mentioned that it didn't work too well, didn't you? Can you give a little more details, please?

Last edited by andreas; 11 March 2002 at 13:29.
Old 11 March 2002, 15:57   #7
Pfloyd

Hi andreas,

it could be true that the version with visible clouds was a Red Sector crack. There will be a chance that I get my hands on this version again. Have patience...

TOSEC-ROMs are distinguished by checksum (CRC32), aren't they? The three existing TOSEC-versions might only have differences in the highscore table, while there is no difference in the code. This could be an explanation for different checksums.
I'm going to check this...

Until then I will be happy with my modified Skyline/Lightforce version, which I am not going to publish, of course (to preserve amiga's history)...

Next, I will concentrate on Rainbow Islands. It won't run on WinUAE due to a really strange copperlist emulation bug...

bye
//admin: please don't use direct signature in your post, configure your UserCP instead.
Old 11 March 2002, 17:31   #8
Drake1009

The problem I have with my version (with cloud) is that after completing the next to last level (where you jump down a hole) you fall into a broken level which bears a bit resemblance to the title screen level and other garbage. Also platforms are not where they appear to be.

This could be because I was playing it on my A1200 though (Or at least I assume it's that version, it's strikingly similar to the version I have as ADF, and the screenshot was from the ADF). I could upload it to the zone if it has any interest.
Old 11 March 2002, 18:05   #9
Pfloyd

If there are corrupt levels on this ADF, fixing them should be no problem. Please upload it.

The real big problem is that everybody transfers their own disks to ADF and that you cannot tell from the CRC if it's a new version or not: every disk can have errors... and maybe a different highscore table. Or it is an AmigaDOS disk and only the allocated sectors have been copied (remaining the free sectors on the target disk unchanged).

Which version of all these would you call the "official release of cracking group [insert name here]"? It's not too easy and if we had MFM images, it would be much more difficult.
Old 11 March 2002, 18:48   #10
Drake1009

Hmm mysterious indeed. I just pulled the version I had taken the screenshot from down from CD and tried it again to make sure. This time it did not show the clouds here either though I'm positive this is the same version (Well almost positive anyway). It must be an emulator problem. After dinner I'll check out the version on my A500 to see how that works out.
Old 11 March 2002, 18:52   #11
RetroMan

This is VERY mysterious :eek I just fired up the Skyline/Lightforce I posted earlier on my A500+ (Kick 1.3) and there are no clouds (as described) ! I pulled out the floppy and fired it up on my A1200 030/50Mhz Kick 3.1 and THERE ARE CLOUDS .... wtf ? I will adf it again later and do some more testing !!!
Old 11 March 2002, 19:11   #12
Pfloyd

As the skyline/Lightforce version doesn't display clouds neither on my A500 nor on WinUAE, I fixed it a long time ago.
It's a wrong value in BPL2CON making the clouds (sprites) appearing _behind_ the playfield. That's why you can't see them.

I've no idea why the clouds are visible on an A1200. I can't check it out, as I do not own an A1200.

Last edited by Pfloyd; 11 March 2002 at 22:02.
Old 11 March 2002, 21:55   #13
andreas
Zone Friend

Hi Pfloyd,

first of all, nice to see you here!
RCK: I gave him the EAB URL because I think we're always in need of open and above board guys with decent knowledge about MFM coding and disk-protection schemes!

Hope we can get this "Giana" case solved someday.
Old 11 March 2002, 22:13   #14
RCK
Administrator

@andreas: lol no problem ! the EAB is not a private board system
Welcome Mr Pfloyd
Old 11 March 2002, 22:46   #15
andreas
Zone Friend

Happy

Quote:
the EAB is not a private board system
well I know, but anyway, if someone doesn't get invited (eg by me), there's a real "chance" that he won't ever get to know about it...Hail the Word Of Mouth (tm). You won't ever find anything better.

Last edited by andreas; 16 March 2002 at 19:57.
Old 15 March 2002, 16:59   #16
zombie_dk

on the C64 version the bonus diamonds were animated/flashing and looked really cool

on the Amiga they are just one colour and look rather boring, is this because its a cracked version or does it look different on the original ?
Old 15 March 2002, 17:38   #17
Drake1009

I'm thinking it's the standard look for the Amiga, it'd be a darn lot of work re-making to save space when there's plenty of space.

Just like the disappearing bridges are also acting different than the C64 ones does (2 pieces disappear together instead of 1) and some other stuff which is different.
Old 01 April 2002, 23:54   #18
Carlos Ace

Send a message via ICQ to Carlos Ace
Floppy disk Another Great Giana Sisters version

Well, this is a fix version to work under A1200.
Not ADF, but an exe file ...
Its in the Zone.

Have fun ...
Old 03 April 2002, 04:51   #19
Amiga1992

Well, the pirate as bought as an original (grrrrr) showed no clouds either methinks.. I always wondered why there were no clouds, this is very interesting andreas!
Old 03 April 2002, 07:04   #20
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Smile WHDLoad version shows clouds on A1200/3.0

Just thought I'd let you all know that the great WHDLoad version (fixed by Harry) from the ORIGINAL disk shows the clouds correctly. I suspect most of the other versions which were cracked were pre-releases.