English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 17 May 2017, 03:44   #1021
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
k, Let me try to explain. I can provide these adapters to people... this means that developers can make their new memory expansions, accelerators, video cards etc plug into this adapter without the need of buying these hard to find connectors or chopping connectors to try to make their own.

Developers now can make prototype boards etc without the hassle of wasting a connector if they mess up and it will make testing much simpler.
Cool
Old 17 May 2017, 10:30   #1022
Chucky

Also by trying to make this as a "standard" cpuslot. then there will be solutions in worst case to solder a pci solution onto the A1200 location. still usable connector for accelerators.. and well. why not even. someone makes a ATX version of the A1200 board. with a cpu slot like this for the cpu. winwin..
Old 17 May 2017, 13:29   #1023
michaelz

Quote:
k, Let me try to explain. I can provide these adapters to people... this means that developers can make their new memory expansions, accelerators, video cards etc plug into this adapter without the need of buying these hard to find connectors or chopping connectors to try to make their own.

Developers now can make prototype boards etc without the hassle of wasting a connector if they mess up and it will make testing much simpler.

All signals are transferred from the A1200 motherboard so it has full capability. I wanted to try to open the A1200 for all developers to have a chance to make their own creations and i believe/hope this fulfills that premise.

see www.kipper2k.com/a1200.html for more info

Before people think they get a PCI port (I think I saw a few of those posts already); you only use the connector because that is easily available and relative cheap right? It's not an adapter to insert a video card into an Amiga as far as I can tell. Is this assumption correct?
Old 17 May 2017, 13:38   #1024
Chucky

that is maybe the drawback of using a PCI connector. there will be people not figuring out that there are NO logic on the board and that means. NO it will NOT convert the slot to a PCI slot magically. it is just a connector. nothing more. a more easy-to-get connector.. and using the femalepart here is also the best.. as it is much more easy to do a PCB without soldering a connector on it. (for the accelerator/memorypart)
Old 17 May 2017, 13:39   #1025
Chucky

Kipper: You MAYBE should add the text "NOT A PCI SLOT!" on the board to avoid less technical people to think that is a PCI slot..

even if it IS something like putting a sign on a plane: Do not step outside during flight.
Old 17 May 2017, 13:40   #1026
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelz View Post
Before people think they get a PCI port (I think I saw a few of those posts already); you only use the connector because that is easily available and relative cheap right? It's not an adapter to insert a video card into an Amiga as far as I can tell. Is this assumption correct?
Correct, this is simply a means to open up the custom 150 pin a1200 port into a much available 120 pin PCI slot. Please do not try to swap this in and out of a regular computer PCI slot. The pinout is shown on my webpage for those that want to start creating and i have already received email from 3 people that are looking to make their own designs so we are hopefully off to a good start

and just to confirm, once i go through my original 150 pin connectors then these adapters will still be available through means of sorcery

Last edited by kipper2k; 17 May 2017 at 13:46.
Old 17 May 2017, 13:47   #1027
Chucky

does that "means of sorcery" change the specs of SIZE allowed for a acceleratorcard?
Old 17 May 2017, 13:54   #1028
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky View Post
does that "means of sorcery" change the specs of SIZE allowed for a acceleratorcard?

nope, it will still be same dimensions, some people say that it eats up space in the expansion bay, and yes it does, but lets be realistic, for example a Vampire 600 easily fits in there so i am sure with newer technoloogy this is not an issue

i am pretty sure no new creations will require use of 72 pin 8mb SIMMs lol
Old 17 May 2017, 14:04   #1029
plasmab
Banned

128mb SDRAM with a small FPGA RAM controller/cache is what I intended to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17 May 2017, 14:04   #1030
Daedalus

And in the opposite direction, I'd hate to see people plugging their new Vampires etc. into the PCI slots on a Mediator for example But it's great that such an adaptor is available - hopefully it'll open the A1200 up to many accelerator and expansion projects we've seen in recent years for other Amigas.
Old 17 May 2017, 14:12   #1031
Chucky

Kipper: ohh I want more 30 pin simm solutions..

but yeah. size is less.. still there is room for a 060 cpu so even a 060 solution would be possible I guess. so. YAY..
(I am STILL waiting for a opensoureced 060 to the Amiga.. )
Old 17 May 2017, 14:22   #1032
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
And in the opposite direction, I'd hate to see people plugging their new Vampires etc. into the PCI slots on a Mediator for example But it's great that such an adaptor is available - hopefully it'll open the A1200 up to many accelerator and expansion projects we've seen in recent years for other Amigas.

You can't stop people being stupid. It's a constant in the universe.

Look at the people drilling headphone jacks in their iPhone 7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17 May 2017, 14:32   #1033
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmab View Post
Look at the people drilling headphone jacks in their iPhone 7.
Amazing!
Old 17 May 2017, 15:31   #1034
AJCopland

It'd be great to get a good size FPGA + SDram in that form factor so that people can dabble.
Old 17 May 2017, 19:59   #1035
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJCopland View Post
It'd be great to get a good size FPGA + SDram in that form factor so that people can dabble.
Long term i'm planning on the iCE40 series. So not especially big.
Old 17 May 2017, 21:28   #1036
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stedy View Post
Hi,

Quick suggestion for the A1200 to PCI adaptor, can you add a TE Connectivity/AMP 171826-4 power connector?

Using the standard PC pinout, you could then source +5V and +12V power for the expansion direct from an ATX PSU. I include +12V in case you want a switch-mode converter that needs higher currents than the small floppy drive cable can supply. From +5V you can take 3A/15W, from +12V it's also 3A or 36W.

I'd better get on with another project shortly.
Hi Ian,

Thanks for the suggestion, i will modify it to the 4 pin header on the next batch that i do. I didn't include the 12v to the header as i figured there would be no need with today's newer discrete components, but, wth, i will add it just in case...

on a side note, do you have any thoughts on one of your projects that can benefit from this ?

on a more serious note, i received this warning on my computer today...

Last edited by kipper2k; 17 May 2017 at 21:46.
Old 17 May 2017, 23:18   #1037
kgc210

Quote:
on a more serious note, i received this warning on my computer today...
Pesky cyber-criminals!

Glad to see so much active development on the Amiga's at the moment.

I don't want to go off topic too much as this thread is about Terrible Fire cards. But could you actually have a universal accelerator like some people mention?
With the lower Amiga's being 16/24bit addressing and the A3/4000 being 32bit on the card interface sides of things.
I noticed the A1200 has all the Data and Address lines for 32bit but is it technically the same as an A3/4000 CPU interface? I am guessing not as A1200 stuff is Zorro 2 or is that purely down to lack of a Buster chip for example.
Old 17 May 2017, 23:49   #1038
grelbfarlk

I can't wait to get one of Kipper's Accelerator to PCI adapters, I'm going to get an A1200 and put a PCI Core2Quad Single-Board-Computer in it to have the fastest A1200-in the world.
Old 17 May 2017, 23:52   #1039
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
I can't wait to get one of Kipper's Accelerator to PCI adapters, I'm going to get an A1200 and put a PCI Core2Quad Single-Board-Computer in it to have the fastest A1200-in the world.
Old 17 May 2017, 23:54   #1040
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmab View Post
Amiga is about freedom man- oh I get it. Kipper can you add a second slot so I can put a Terrible fire in too-for fallback?