English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 23 August 2002, 02:02   #1
PixelsAtDawn
Amiga Addict

Happy Converting disks to ADFs

Not exactly the right place to post this, but I couldn't really decide where to put it! Move me if you will

Right - I know HOW to convert disks to ADFs (Transdisk etc), but now I have the slight problem that I no long have access to an Amiga. BUGGER! Obviously games, PD and the like are no problem, as I can just toddle over to Planet Emu and snatch them from there. But I have a few disks I'd like to get the data off - things that I constructed/programmed myself.

Anyone willing to help me out (pleeeeeease )

<--- This is my location, obviously.

Could I post my disks to anyone? I know how nice you all are *crawl*

Old 23 August 2002, 02:36   #2
Chuckles
The Ancient One

Seeing as how you don't have access to an Amiga, but were able to post to this board, I'm going to take a wild guess that you're using some variant of a PC clone. If so, then what you need is the disk2fdi program, along with a 2nd floppy drive. This program can create ADF files on the PC directly from Amiga diskettes, though it can't handle copy protection. Since you said that the disks you want to convert are things that you constructed or programmed yourself though, that's not likely to be a problem. You can find disk2fdi at:

http://www.oldskool.org/disk2fdi/

Hope this helps!
Old 23 August 2002, 02:44   #3
P-J

I've tried this puppy sometime back and it works well, so don't be afraid to steal your daughters/sons/girlfriends/boyfirends/husbands/wifes/mothers/ or fathers floppy drive
Old 23 August 2002, 02:51   #4
PixelsAtDawn
Amiga Addict

You, Chuckles, are a life-saver As the docs say, I didn't think this was possible either lol!

*furtles inside old computer disconnecting it's floppy drive*
Old 23 August 2002, 02:53   #5
Djay
95th User

i'm waiting for my Ami<>PC network software/cable to arrive soon, so if you get no joy, you can send me the disks

i recently got hold of a 85mb HD for my Amiga and it came with a program called ADF blitzer, i've already created a few ADFs of my data disks, and should be transfering soon!!!
Old 23 August 2002, 03:13   #6
PixelsAtDawn
Amiga Addict

I think it is only fair that I also bestow on Djay the compliment of 'THE MAN'
Old 24 August 2002, 02:05   #7
Jim

Question

Let me get this right......

At the moment I have a shed load of Amiga disks (including games and personal stuff I'd love to keep) in my old bedroom cupboard at my parents.

I have a PC here with 1 floppy drive. I have a old PC in the in the attic with a floppy drive.

So if I get the stepladder out and bring down the floppy drive from this old PC and put it in my PC I will be able to read all of my old Amiga disks ?

I don't expect to be able to ready copy-protected originals but does it read cracked games ?

Old 24 August 2002, 02:22   #8
Djay
95th User

@Jim

- if you get stuck with that process then i can transfer stuff for you, only stuff thats not in TOSEC though... data disk, save game disks etc..

let me know
Old 24 August 2002, 02:28   #9
Jim

Thanks for your help Djay.

I could also really use someone to hold the stepladder whilst I climb into the attic !!!

Old 25 August 2002, 01:29   #10
Chuckles
The Ancient One

Yep, Jim - you've got it. If the disk is the sort that is easily copied on the Amiga, then disk2fdi will probably work just fine on it. I've used it to convert lots of cracked copies of games to adf files, with a fairly high rate of success. Good luck with it!
Old 25 August 2002, 01:50   #11
Jim

I've gotta remember to visit my parents soon !

Me: "Hello Mum, just thought I'd visit".

Mum: "Oh, hello darling".

Me: "I'm just going upstairs to my old room".

Mum: "Do you want a cup of tea?"

Me: "No thanks".

(I quickly sort through all my disks grabbing the rare ones and ones I made myself).

Mum: "Do you want a bacon sandwich".

Me: "No, must be going now - work to do".

Me: "Bye".

Mum: ?

Old 28 August 2002, 12:00   #12
Perseid

Couple questions on this:

1) Does it copy track-by-track or file-by-file? As in, can I copy disks that use custom diskloaders so long as they aren't protected?

2) The website says it doesn't like XP. Is it safe to assume I can use 98's DOS mode?

Old 28 August 2002, 12:59   #13
RetroMan

Quote:
Originally posted by Perseid
Couple questions on this:

1) Does it copy track-by-track or file-by-file? As in, can I copy disks that use custom diskloaders so long as they aren't protected?
ADF´s cannot be created file-by-file, it´s more like bit-by-bit So, yes you can create adf´s out of NDOS-Disks
Quote:

2) The website says it doesn't like XP. Is it safe to assume I can use 98's DOS mode?
Yup Should work fine !