English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 31 March 2008, 18:03   #1
crazyegg

OS3.9 Post Install: Will Not Boot Without CD ROM Drive

Hi,

I just installed OS3.9 successfully on my A1200. Everything works except when I disconnect my IDE CD-Rom (connected as slave to the internal IDE interface).

When the CD-ROM is disconnected, the master IDE hard drive does not boot up. I just get a purple screen.

I even removed the Emergency Boot Driver from the Devs/DOSDrivers as instructed in the FAQ but still it will not boot.

I want to use my A1200 without the CD-Rom drive attached. Can someone shed some light on my situation?

Regards,
ed...
Old 31 March 2008, 18:26   #2
Jope
-

How is your primary drive jumpered? Can you see the drive in hdtoolbox if you boot from floppy?
Old 31 March 2008, 18:48   #3
crazyegg

Hi,

My primary drive is jumpered as Master. I can see it in HDTools. I can access it fine. I just can't boot from it.

The drive is 'bootable' and has high priority in the boot sequence.

FYI, when the IDE slave CD Rom is attached everything is OK. This is what I can't understand.... BUT, I want to be able to use my HD without the CD Rom drive attached....

Please help..! Regards...ed...
Old 31 March 2008, 19:20   #4
ganralf

What exactly do you mean by does not boot up. Does the drive spin up. Can you see/hear accesses to the disk and then the purple screen?

A purple screen suggests a ROM error (or resident modules). Try to add NOROMUPDATE as argument to SetPatch in startup-sequence.
Old 31 March 2008, 20:40   #5
crazyegg

Hi,

I think you are on to something......This just started happening I think AFTER I installed the update Boing Bag 2. In BB2, there was something in the update about updating the AmigaROM.

I am a newbie when it comes to editing the startup-sequence. Can you please let me know what exactly I should be adding/deleting in the startup-sequence?

PS: What exactly is the AmigaROM update in BB2? I also noticed that the BB2 created another startup-sequence with a bb2 extention?

Regards,
ed...
Old 31 March 2008, 20:43   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Does the drive have separate "Master" and "Single Drive" settings? (Use "Single drive" if it exists)
Old 31 March 2008, 22:34   #7
crazyegg

Hi Ganralf,

It worked! This newbie took a chance and included the SetPatch NOROMUPDATE QUIET command in the startup-sequence.

Now, my harddrive can boot into 3.9 WITHOUT the CD-Rom drive attached!

Just curious, what exactly is the NOROMUPDATE command and why did I need to include it in order for my setup to function???

Regards,
ed...
Old 31 March 2008, 23:07   #8
ganralf

Well done.

AmigaOS 3.9 updates a few modules that are located in the kickstart ROM. SetPatch loas the updates to RAM, adds them to list of (reset-) resident modulues and resets the computer. When the list of residents is in some way broken you get a purple screen.

By giving SetPatch the argument NOROMUPDATE you tell it not to update the ROM. Thus your problem isn't resolved just the symptom is gone.

Among those updates is a update for scsi.device. I guess that it fails. You can check by replacing NOROMUPDATE with SKIPROMUPDATES "scsi.device".

Did you check what Toni said?

How did you enable CD-ROM support. Maybe you installed a driver which doesn't like the new version of scsi.device.