English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 29 June 2021, 06:14   #21
Marchie

Yeah that game is looking amazing, can't wait to see it finished.
Old 01 July 2021, 00:30   #22
buzzybee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchie View Post
That's all wise advice, appreciated. And you're right, an animation is not at all a game! We are currently playing through our fave platformers and discussing what, to us, makes a fun game.

Whilst I'm interested in the gameplay I'm flexible on it, my non-negotiable is loads of fun animation on Amiga, I'm willing to concede control of most of the rest to the person/s actually doing the coding (and I appreciate it is a truck-load of coding work!).

Being aware it will be a multi-year project we had in mind to perhaps release the game one level at a time. Sort of release a new level pack every twelve months, then combine the whole at the end. I figure most adults are like me and struggle to find time to play through a whole game in one go, so getting short episodes one at a time might work well. (And like I said - we still package the whole game together at the end).

Does your engine do 8-directional scrolling or just left-to-right? Is it tile-based? (is that an obvious question??) I love the idea of building on top of the hard work that has already been done.
The DLC-like approach might be a good idea, as it supports building up a community for your game, and also keeps the devteam inspired for some time. This is important, as - from my experience - two years is about the timeframe that feels okay for all members of a spare-time-development-team onboard. After that, things begin to break apart if there is no money involved.

Reshoot-engine is tile-based, yes, and so far supports vertical and horizontal scrolling with a bit of overscan area. But an engine is far more than just visuals. It contains all tools needed to implement tiles, place objects, design attack waves, test it all out and implement custom stuff needed to create an interesting and play-worthy experience.

But its usability is ... compromised, I should say, as it's focused on creating hardware-centred, customized Amiga projects. That basically means that I would have to be involved with the project, as even experienced coders would need a bit of time to understand how to handle the engine.

I would imagine that for your project, Scorpion engine might be a far better choice. Have not tried it yet, but from what I have heard it's comparably low barrier to get into, contains everything needed for your workflow, and may create great results if used properly. Just look at those platformers!
Old 06 July 2021, 01:53   #23
Marchie

Cheers.

We are looking into Scorpion engine as a first port of call as thast seems to be getting a lot of recommendations, I wouldn't rule out Reshoot engine yet though, and if we do that I'd be more than happy to have you involved (if you're interested of course).

Looking forward to bringing an update soon(ish)!
Old 06 July 2021, 08:22   #24
buzzybee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchie View Post
Cheers.

We are looking into Scorpion engine as a first port of call as thast seems to be getting a lot of recommendations, I wouldn't rule out Reshoot engine yet though, and if we do that I'd be more than happy to have you involved (if you're interested of course).

Looking forward to bringing an update soon(ish)!
Best choice. I am looking forward to watch your project progress!
Old 15 June 2023, 01:25   #25
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Any progress on this project?
Old 16 June 2023, 17:37   #26
Evillord68

Wow it looks great, i hope the project didn´t die.
Old 16 June 2023, 19:53   #27
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Are you already covered for audio?
Old 14 August 2023, 02:21   #28
Marchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Browne View Post
Any progress on this project?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evillord68 View Post
Wow it looks great, i hope the project didn´t die.

Thanks for checking in guys.

Unfortunately my coding partner had to bail.

I do want to pick this up again would be happy to find anyone interested in collaborating (or even adapting my graphics to something they're already developing for themselves), but won't be for a few months at the soonest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
Are you already covered for audio?

I have had some offers for music, but haven't checked-in with anyone since the project went went on-hold though.