English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 11 October 2020, 13:05   #1
Nightfox

Cool MOD player library

Hi there

Is there a lightweight protracker MOD music player library anyone can recommend that I can use to play background music in my Amiga app I'm developing in C? Or is it better to just make my program execute a command line MOD player in the background? Either way I'd need a solution compatible with Kickstart 1.3 and above and as memory light as possible.

Thanks so much guys! <3
Old 11 October 2020, 15:31   #2
a/b

Did you try phx's player in minimalistic mode? It'll strip off the master volume code+tables (that's 4KB+), plus the sfx stuff, and probably a few other things. Not sure how far is that from your requirements, though...
Old 11 October 2020, 18:14   #3
Nightfox

I haven't tried this no. Is this the best way to add MOD support to an Amiga app? My requirements aren't super strict. I'm developing a brand new disk magazine engine and I'd like it to run on the Amiga 500 with 512k expansion as a minimum
Old 11 October 2020, 22:55   #4
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfox View Post
Is this the best way to add MOD support to an Amiga app? My requirements aren't super strict. I'm developing a brand new disk magazine engine and I'd like it to run on the Amiga 500 with 512k expansion as a minimum
My player is mainly intended for games or demos, which take over the machine. I cannot recommend it for OS-compliant apps.
Old 12 October 2020, 02:12   #5
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfox View Post
Hi there

Is there a lightweight protracker MOD music player library anyone can recommend that I can use to play background music in my Amiga app I'm developing in C? Or is it better to just make my program execute a command line MOD player in the background? Either way I'd need a solution compatible with Kickstart 1.3 and above and as memory light as possible.

Thanks so much guys! <3
For a shared library, http://aminet.net/package/mus/play/ptreplay66 might be your best option. It has a few extra features compared to some but is system-friendly.
Old 12 October 2020, 13:07   #6
Nightfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai_Crow View Post
For a shared library, http://aminet.net/package/mus/play/ptreplay66 might be your best option. It has a few extra features compared to some but is system-friendly.

Thanks so much! This one looks perfect for my needs!
Old 20 October 2020, 09:22   #7
thyslo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai_Crow View Post
Many thanks also from me! Was looking for something like that for quite a while.

Unfortunately I'm having a problem with ptreplay.library when using it with bebbos gcc. With SAS-C it works fine, 'though. I've created a new thread for not to spoil this one.
Old 20 October 2020, 09:27   #8
Nightfox

I haven't tested the library yet but I use the C/C++ Visual Studio Code extension as my dev environment and I have full confidence it will work
Old 20 October 2020, 09:37   #9
thyslo

Yeah I'm also using VSCode for bebbos gcc 6.5. And it does compile and create a binary. When starting the binary the mod playback starts and plays fine but it somehow gets stucked in PTPlay(). Maybe I've just used fd2pragma the wrong way to create the headers for gcc. Thats my question on the other thread.