English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.AmigaOS

Old 19 November 2021, 08:46   #1
amifan
WhatIFF? Amiga Magazine

Amiga OS 3.2 pre-install questions

Hi guys, I have got Amiga OS 3.2 ready to install, I have a new 8gb CF to replace my current 4gb one but I have a few questions that I would like to clear up before I go ahead and install the new OS. My current set up is using ClassicWB and I hope to move that to another partition on the new CF card. One thing though is that when using a CF card as a hd with 3.1 I had to change the MaxTransfer rate, is this still necessary with 3.2? And finally will ClassicWB still boot with 3.2 roms installed or do I need to add some extra libraries to the drive? Thanks in advance!
Old 20 November 2021, 20:32   #2
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by amifan View Post
One thing though is that when using a CF card as a hd with 3.1 I had to change the MaxTransfer rate, is this still necessary with 3.2?
MaxTransfer should be set to the safe value automatically [0x1FE00] (this was also the case in 3.1.4). My paranoia means I always check it anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by amifan View Post
And finally will ClassicWB still boot with 3.2 roms installed or do I need to add some extra libraries to the drive? Thanks in advance!
I assume ClassicWB is based on 3.1? You'll need to add icon.library and workbench.library to the CF with ClassicWB on it, as these have been removed from the 3.2 Kickstart for space reasons. BUT - if ClassicWB has many patches/programs that fix various 3.1 issues, you may hit problems when it tries to apply these to 3.2 components.

Finally, have a look through this: http://nl.aminet.net/docs/help/AmigaOS_3.2-FAQ.txt

FAQ for 3.2, has lots of useful info/tips that might help you as you go
Old 22 November 2021, 04:12   #3
amifan
WhatIFF? Amiga Magazine

Thank you for that, I will give it a go this week, will be interesting to see if it all boots afterwards