English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 28 January 2003, 11:46   #1
Mojo2000

Folder shortcuts? Recall window settings?

1) How do you make shortcuts to folders? I am finding it tedious to have to open deeply nested directories, whether in Shell or WB. Because of this, I would appreciate being able to click on a Desktop shortcut for quick access. (I know Directory Opus 5, as bundled with AF, does allow quicker access, but it's not the same.)

2) Is there no way for WB to remember the position and size of a window as last viewed? 2b) It would also be really nice if the positions and view modes of the files/icons were stored as well.

Thanks in advance to any veterans who can help.

3) PS: Is there a way to open subdirectories in the same window as the parent, rather than the default new window? (Again, DOpus does this, but it ain't the same and I would like to combine this feature with requests 1 and 2 above )

Old 28 January 2003, 12:46   #2
blackcornflake

1) Not sure about directly jumping to a drawer (folder) within a drawer without first having to open the parent. I personally use alternative methods, such as ToolsDaemon Prefs in conjunction with MagicMenu, to launch applications quickly.

2) Set the item(s) in question up to your liking, then select (RMB menu) Window/Snapshot/Window (to freeze the position of the window plus View As settings: icon positions not saved). 2b) Window/Snapshot/All (to freeze current window + all contents settings). No shortcut keys afaik.

3) I don't understand this one... a subdirectory will always open a new window, I thought. Anyway, there are loads of programs on Aminet that provide extended control over WB windows. Maybe one offers the feature you require.
Old 28 January 2003, 13:16   #3
Paul
RIP Friends

Re: Folder shortcuts? Recall window settings?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mojo2000
2) Is there no way for WB to remember the position and size of a window as last viewed? 2b) It would also be really nice if the positions and view modes of the files/icons were stored as well.
See...
http://jambo.abime.net/howto.php?view=4
Old 28 January 2003, 13:56   #4
Severin

Send a message via ICQ to Severin
Grab this program:

http://wuarchive.wustl.edu/pub/amine...eKeyIt2_4a.lha

it lets you add your own shortcuts to any workbench menu
Old 28 January 2003, 22:47   #5
Mojo2000

ToolsDaemon: a "bad hack"?

Quote:
Originally posted by blackcornflake
1) Not sure about directly jumping to a drawer (folder) within a drawer without first having to open the parent. I personally use alternative methods, such as ToolsDaemon Prefs in conjunction with MagicMenu, to launch applications quickly.[/b]
In passing, I DID use ToolsDaemon back on my physical A3000, but the reason I hesitate to use it now is because I also want to use MagicCX, but the docs to MagicCX warn against incompatibilities with ToolsDaemon and list the latter with others in a "bad hack" category. Whatever that means! I just want to avoid conflicts wherever possible, since I don't have the time, knowledge or inclination to go digging deep into the System folders and fixing clashes.

Quote:
2) Set the item(s) in question up to your liking, then select (RMB menu) Window/Snapshot/Window (to freeze the position of the window plus View As settings: icon positions not saved). 2b) Window/Snapshot/All (to freeze current window + all contents settings). No shortcut keys afaik.
Someone else has also pointed out this feature. Thanks to both of you.

Quote:
3) I don't understand this one... a subdirectory will always open a new window, I thought. Anyway, there are loads of programs on Aminet that provide extended control over WB windows. Maybe one offers the feature you require.
It just occurred to me that yes, Microsoft Windows does by default open subdirectories in a new window, unless (as I do) you go into Folder Options and specify Open in Same Window.

Thanks again to you and all other respondents in my threads.

Last edited by Mojo2000; 29 January 2003 at 00:02.

Old 29 January 2003, 00:03   #6
Mojo2000

Eek JAMBO!! Of course!

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul
See...
http://jambo.abime.net/howto.php?view=4
Of course! I already HAD Jambo stored in my Favorites, and in my stupidity it just didn't occur to me to consult that site for very basic aspects of operation.

Thanks and cheers!