IT'S ONLINE NOW
Old 03 December 2008, 13:46   #22
DH
Global Moderator

Wooohooo!
Old 03 December 2008, 14:33   #23
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Great news Guess I'll snatch some tunes when I'm back home Thanks for the info Zambot
Old 03 December 2008, 19:32   #24
AmigaFriend

Finally!
Old 21 December 2008, 14:21   #25
Specksynder

Ftp now available
Old 21 December 2008, 14:57   #26
Avanze
Amiga User

Unfortunately, the download are offline now for both sites, 6581 and 8364.

Check the forum for details.

http://www.dirtcellar.net/phpBB3/vie....php?f=8&t=266
Old 21 December 2008, 15:14   #27
BuZz

Send a message via ICQ to BuZz
These collections have had more downtime that up I think. Although the projects are extremely interesting they have made some strange decisions. For example the availability of the files whilst refusing offers of mirrors (which could have solved this current problem). The fact they wanted to write their own database engine and to be honest it shows. They also have something against torrents, which could be a useful way to distribute the files.
Old 21 December 2008, 17:02   #28
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Well,the greatest "problem" those sites have is most probably "broadband attackers" which tend to download everything in one go!!

This horde of "must-have-all"s already invaded the famous amigaremix.com site in the past.
And IIRC, remix.kwed.org (C=64) too.

Some people simply do not know how to spell "enough".
Old 21 December 2008, 18:03   #29
BuZz

Send a message via ICQ to BuZz
remix.kwed.org offers torrents which I think does help with this. I grabbed all the files from the torrents. Only took a short while (and then I seeded for a while too).

Having multiple mirrors though can help in these cases. With exotica we host the files on ftp (which is easy to setup with bandwidth controls), and then redirect to a random mirror from the website. Those that want everything tend to choose a mirror, but with my mirrors for exotica there are connection limits, so their downloading won't affect others.

I find most problem on my site are from bad bots, or botnet attacks where I have 20 or so machines connecting to the site at the same time wither trying to submit forms, or just causing high cpu usage (which I try and reduce with some iptables rules)
Old 09 March 2009, 18:35   #30
Specksynder

The SOAMC will be released tomorrow!!!
Old 09 March 2009, 21:57   #31
gklinger
Vegetable Lasagna

Love the bouncing ball notifier. Nice touch.
Old 09 March 2009, 22:00   #32
Amiga1992

This guy made the HVSC SID collection available in a pretty similar fashion.
Amazing!
Old 12 March 2009, 23:02   #33
StoneOakvalley

Ah, it did say 10th of March But those pesky bugs kept crawling into my system resulting in 142 additional tunes to be recorded not to mention some skew regarding files recorded and files noted in the database...

But, at this exact point of time.. now 23:01... its finalized and the database locked and ready to publish... (allthough copying 1TB will take some hours extra to complete, but 13th of March is for the end of it)

After 424 days or so breathing, living this project I call...madness?...this is AMIIIIGGAAA! BANG! hehe

Some juicy stats of the project here:
http://www.paula8364.com/soamc_background.php#stats

We know we are quirky about the mirror stuff, but we want to release the project in full and as bugfree as possible. Don't like the idea of half-witted collections with my name on it around. I do have to record some things and finalize, lock the SOASC= collection too during the next month, and after that we shall for real scan for mirrors and see if the community can help us.

Stay tuned!
Old 12 March 2009, 23:48   #34
DH
Global Moderator

An awesome site and one in a million. You've done extremely well and worked your socks off for this project. I can only thank you in words, and I know each and every one of us on EAB can't thank you enough for all your hard work and effort that you've applied in the last 424 days. Commitment on a grand scale and for a worthy cause

Once again, Thanks
Old 13 March 2009, 03:17   #35
gklinger
Vegetable Lasagna

Well done.
Old 13 March 2009, 10:42   #36
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Yup about as awesome as it gets

You're part of history now
Old 13 March 2009, 18:55   #37
Specksynder

Stone,you are a star
Old 14 March 2009, 02:22   #38
StoneOakvalley

Heh, thanks..... my plans for finalizing and copying halted this day, cause "Waxhead - the network guru" had been configuring bad mountpoints or something in linux causing a "out of disk space" before I had even copied 30% of everything..... so an delay has been applied.

Now, for the dreaded 1TB over a 100mbps copying part... ohhhhh... I should really get an GBLAN router some day : )

I really do hope that most of the tracks are recorded properly. If there are any error, they are for sure the bad songlengths. These are 100% caused by problems with player engines within Eagleplayer and Delitracker. I've used so many hours, finding the most usable and most recent version of 157 engines to play with.... a lot of confusion arised.. the player engine revision numbering is highly confusing. Not to mention that a module might work with Deliplayer for windows, but not on a real amiga and vica versa.... maybe it worked in deli for amiga, but not in Eagleplayer and again vica versa... highly messy!

I had a lot of older engines lying around from the 90s and downloaded some from UADE, some from Wanted Team and Aminet, seeing that a revsion 0.5 of a given engine made in 95, suddenly came out as revision 1.2 in 2000, just to appear v0.9 again in 2003...stuff like that...highly confusing, but I guess due to different authors of the engine )

I've added some code since the start of the project to detect typical bad engine recording errors and after the initial recording queue for 394 days about 11000 errors were encontered..... so after many days of debugging and re-recording, the errors was squashed and tracked down.

As you may already know, determing the songlengths happend in Deliplayer 2.50b for windows. By saving the structured playlists and extracting out the songlengths with my own code, some prominent errors occured...and that is the dreaded "unable to detect songlength". These tunes ended up at 4:00 recording time (default in deliplayer), so if the tune actually lasts for more, its been cut off. If it lasted only for 30 seconds, the rest is silence and is detected by using SOX and trimmed accordingly, so no problems there.

Thats all I can say for my defence and I hope not to see any severe bugs posted in our forums...hehehe.
Old 17 March 2009, 20:00   #39
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Can't recall what my password is for the site so thought i'd post here

Chris Huelsbeck music is not entirely 100% with these - R-Type and others have odd instruments sounds in places

Mights just do my own recordings anyway.I suppose because another point is i often like to hear the song loop round for a bit more or fade say and i really don't like the sudden cut off you get from the one playthrough here

And for the wonderfull G.n.i.u.s music of course

Not a moan and anyway i could always edit a fade in i guess for some of these
Old 18 March 2009, 17:36   #40
Crown
Demoscener

Nothing replaces listenning to the Amiga tunes in their original format, instead of MP3!

Especially when the Paula isn't emulated...