English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 01 February 2007, 22:29   #1
Magno Boots
Zone Friend

How to remove system requests?

Strange thread title I know, but here goes..

I have many usefull little applications on my 1200's harddrive which have been copied from amiga cds. The small nag I have is that once opened they request that I insert the cd that they once belonged to (see mock sample below) or 'system, storage' etc. Once the requester is cancelled they're fine.
Probably simple to some of you guys, but how can I get shot of it? ...easily!

Attachment 13128

Last edited by Magno Boots; 29 February 2008 at 23:23.
Old 01 February 2007, 22:38   #2
Flashlab

You should install these programs correctly. Is there an installer on the cd or a manual?

If that is not available then you could always use the Assign command. You can use it like this:

Assign carzyAboutIt: to xxx:

where xxx: is where you installed/placed the program. You can use a tool called SnoopDOS to see why the system asks for a volume. it will tell you what files the system is missing. SnoopDOS can be found on Aminet (www.aminet.net).
Old 01 February 2007, 22:48   #3
Magno Boots
Zone Friend

I'm not installing the games from the cds, just some little progs found in its C folder.
ie, i have copied 'unpacker' to my harddrive tools folder, but it requests that I insert storage when opened.

Do I have to assign unpacker? and how?
Pardon my ignorance here.
Old 02 February 2007, 20:53   #4
Flashlab

Do you mean the Workbench Storage disk? If that's asked maybe you haven't correctly installed Workbench on your HD.
Old 02 February 2007, 22:12   #5
Magno Boots
Zone Friend

I appreciate your assistance Flashlab.

My workbench is fine.

Let me try to be clear.. had a cd, liked some of the applications found in its c folder, dragged them into my workbench to use as standalone programs, destroyed the cd, opened the said applications in my workbench and am greeted with a requester asking for a folder or device or disk which the application must have once previously (assigned?) belonged to.

CD in question was one of those 'Classix' types in which there is a generic C folder containing hundreds of programs not necessarily associated with the main contents of the disk.

Thanks
Old 02 February 2007, 23:40   #6
Flashlab

Ah ok. I saw one your screenshots and I thought the Work partition had the floppy disk logo. Usually when you install WB to HD you get a different icon and it won't ask for Storage and other WB disks anymore.

Anyway, I recommend you use the program SnoopDOS like I said before. It will tell you what files it tries to find when asking for a volume. That way you can find out if you have the file and when you do you can make the necessary assign to point the system to the right drawer.

To make the Assign command more clear here's another example:

Imagine the system looks for file "xxx" when you open one of your utils. It can't find it so it requests the volume (probably the CD you don't have anymore) it originally was installed onto. So you get a request to insert the said volume.

If you have the file you can point the system to the drawer the file is in. Like this:

Assign Volume: (this should be the volume that the system requests) Work:x/x/ (this should be the drawer where the file is that the program needs)

Hope this helps!

When you get the assign right you can then add to you startup-sequence or user-startup.
Old 03 February 2007, 20:17   #7
rsn8887

Did you run the tool from the Shell or from the Workbench?
If you ran it from Workbench, there might be a tooltype in the icon (use file info... or how it is called) that sets the default directory for that filerequester shown in your screenshot.
The default directory might also be hard coded in the executable, but I seriously doubt it.
If you ran it from the shell, it seems to me they actually hardcoded that filerequester to default to crazyAboutit:/dmsed directory... weird