English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

View Poll Results: Do you like or dislike Cloanto?
Dislike 72 48.00%
Like 78 52.00%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13 March 2019, 09:42   #41
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Cloanto are the ones currently taking action against Hyperion. Not Amiga Inc.
In case you did not notice, this is the same thing now.
Old 13 March 2019, 09:43   #42
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

Quote:
Cloanto are the ones currently taking action against Hyperion. Not Amiga Inc.

No, Amiga inc sent a cease and desist to Hyperion for OS 3.1.4, Hyperion then decided to bring that to court. Cloanto got caught up in it because they bought Amiga Inc’s assets. I don’t care much for either of them tbh. But if there’s a chance the AmigaOS gets to be free, I’m rooting for that.
Old 13 March 2019, 09:46   #43
lesta_smsc

As much as I don't like the situation I see it akin to Lucas Arts selling out to Disney. Now a Monkey Island sequel by its greater, Ron Gilbert, cannot be made unless sanctioned by Disney.

If someone has legally obtained the rights to a product regardless of how long it has been or the manner/motive, it isn't fair to boycott purchasing legitimate version simply because I don't like it. Surely the Amiga community and it's users are better than this? If they did it for the money, well that's good for them, they got in at the right time. It may be a profiting scheme but that's their prerogative.

The ROMs are incredibly cheap on Android which is actually helpful for piece of mind in having legitimate version.

If we look at hardware alternatives. I'm sure many have found IC products very handy yet at the same time we have the likes of Kipper who is able to provide the source material for free which is commendable. Naturally, I don't expect anyone giving an entire hardware with components for free because it has to funded somehow.
Old 13 March 2019, 09:48   #44
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter
In case you did not notice, this is the same thing now.
No, it's not. They're two completely different companies and Cloanto were not forced to continue the lawsuit started by Amiga Inc.

But I'll put this in writing, if AmigaOS does ever get open sourced (which it won't), I will completely change my opinion of them.
Old 13 March 2019, 10:17   #45
Jope
-

Quote:
In my personal opinion, anyone who has voted Like, probably doesn't know enough about the situation to make a judgement.
As if anyone of us bystanders has all of the relevant information to make this like/dislike decision based on anything else but gut feeling and a few snippets of info we've heard? :-D
Old 13 March 2019, 11:19   #46
LongLifeA1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
And then I discovered that Cloanto had altered the ROMs on a yearly basis!
Probably to update the © year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon_ View Post
C-A acquisitions plan for the rights is to open source amigaos and its components under themselves as a non profit.
Non-profit?
Old 13 March 2019, 11:25   #47
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLifeA1200 View Post
Probably to update the year.

Non-profit?

Yes. Well, a non-profit will handle the properties, that’s what Mike Battilana has stated at least. C-A is not Cloanto.
Old 13 March 2019, 11:32   #48
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
As if anyone of us bystanders has all of the relevant information to make this like/dislike decision based on anything else but gut feeling and a few snippets of info we've heard? :-D
Best post in the thread.

Which is why MY post was about the "products" they offer, not the behind the scenes legal battles, of which I was well aware.

Even the OP masked the true intent of the thread.
Old 13 March 2019, 11:53   #49
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLifeA1200 View Post
Probably to update the © year.
And to add their own name under the copyright, too. I despise Cloanto for that reason alone, and God knows what else they're tweaking that is bound to break sizeable amounts of old software before long.

So I've decided to use original Commodore ROMs and Workbench disks instead. I have had a real A500 and A1200 in the past, so I don't see why not.
Old 13 March 2019, 12:18   #50
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

At the moment I "dislike", but I hope Battilana can win me over with what he plans to do with the Amiga Ip and OS.
Old 13 March 2019, 12:25   #51
OlafSch

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonay View Post
I never liked Cloanto but cant say i love their roms or the "brilliant" software package they supply.
Hate is a bit harsh though but i feel all these small company's should just stop milking the amiga brand .
How are they "milking" the amiga brand? There are other companies who use amiga in the product name with a OS installed on standard hardware with a different processor. The package Cloanto offers is mainly for beginners and people who only want to use amiga in emulation now and then. Certainly not for people using real hardware for 20 years with own configurations.
Old 13 March 2019, 12:28   #52
OlafSch

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Acid- View Post
This poll serves no use whatsoever.
it only shows that 30 users of eab (of perhaps 20.000 amiga users if you look at facebook) "hate" a company. It says more about the 30 users than about the general situation.
Old 13 March 2019, 12:33   #53
OlafSch

Quote:
I'm quite sure I have, but if you have any reasons why I should change my mind, please enlighten me.
The same situation is in atari community with the original roms. They are not free either. Unfortunately that seems to happened at most retro platforms when the copyright owners went bankrupt. At least there is a chance now that all legal rights get in one hand now so situation could improve.
Old 13 March 2019, 12:46   #54
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlafSch View Post
The package Cloanto offers is mainly for beginners and people who only want to use amiga in emulation now and then. Certainly not for people using real hardware for 20 years with own configurations.

100% Spot on.
Old 13 March 2019, 13:21   #55
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
It says more about the 30 users than about the general situation.
Oh right, so what exactly does it tell you about me?

My points on this are perfectly valid and how I personally see their products i.e:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Onto the question at hand, I'm definitely no Cloanto supporter though.

In all honesty, I do believe that their package / front-end is absolute bloatware and have no need or use any of their Kickstart ROMs / Workbench disks.

If you are going to emulate then just use WinUAE or FS-UAE directly; far less headaches, free and better support on EAB coming straight from the authors'
Old 13 March 2019, 13:22   #56
ExiE

I will not vote in this "part of the witch hunt" poll, but I am on the like side.

What puzzles me the most is why people think the open sourcing AmigaOS will change the Amiga world. This community is so fragmented that I don't believe any meaningful development under unified leadership with a clear goal is possible...
Old 13 March 2019, 13:33   #57
OlafSch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Oh right, so what exactly does it tell you about me?

My points on this are perfectly valid and how I personally see their products i.e:
Why dislike Cloanto at all?

Because they sell a predefined package with roms?

You can say you are not interested in the products they offer for valid reasons, but this is about like or not. So for me the whole survey is weired.
Old 13 March 2019, 13:35   #58
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
So for me the whole survey is weired.
Agreed, I didn't make the thread / poll though...

Would be better if the question was: Do you support Cloanto / Amiga Forever?
Old 13 March 2019, 13:36   #59
OlafSch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiE View Post
I will not vote in this "part of the witch hunt" poll, but I am on the like side.

What puzzles me the most is why people think the open sourcing AmigaOS will change the Amiga world. This community is so fragmented that I don't believe any meaningful development under unified leadership with a clear goal is possible...
how do you define "meaningful" here?

What might be possible is that some shortcomings might be removed, bugs fixed or that it will be adapted to new hardware like vampire. Of course that could also be done as a commercial project but then who will spend the money for it? At least as long the developers do it not for free like with 3.1.4
Old 13 March 2019, 13:36   #60
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioMario456 View Post
Emulators are made to play old games and software for free on a modern computer.
This is just so wrong. Emulators reproduce the hardware but any software you run on it requires a purchased license to use it if it has not been made freely available by the people that own that software.

Emulators are not created for the purposes of running "old software for free".