Supamax
Da Digger :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy1234 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supamax View Post
What do you mean with "shifted"?
Is there a link to the relevant thread?
Shifting or rotating a track in HxC exe is re-aligning the track in relation to the track index markers. Jim Drew, the SCP man is big on this as some hardware reads can cause differences and re-setting the offending track can make the image functional in certain cases. The upload I did of your dump has the 0.1 protection track shifted by +5 points.
Thanks for the explanation .
Not sure I fully understand it but I'd like to test the related software... do you use HxC Floppy Emulator?

Quote:
It would be interesting to hear if it works for you.
Do you mean in WinUAE or on my real A500/A600? I don't have it at hand, here
Old 19 November 2022, 14:41   #82
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:
Just some questions about Kryoflux I ever wandered about:

- can I directly load Kryoflux dumps (the ones consisting in multiple files, one for each track/side) in WinUAE? If so, how? By putting them in a dedicated subdirectory?

- CT RAW is a different representation of a "multiple files" KF dump?
- can I directly load Kryoflux dumps (the ones consisting in multiple files, one for each track/side) in WinUAE? If so, how? By putting them in a dedicated subdirectory?

No, WinUAE will treat the xx.x.raw file as a single file and will try to load just that file, which it can't as it's not in a supported format!

Yes, a CT RAW takes all 168 RAW files (1 RAW for each track) created with a Kryoflux and creates a single file from them, however, not all protections/formats will work as CT RAW and DM is one of those that won't work!
Old 19 November 2022, 14:43   #83
Supamax

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Uploaded my version of version 2.0 to The Zone! This version runs perfectly under WinUAE and when written to a floppy disk. Hopefully it works for the rest of you!
I tested your image for half an hour and it would indeed seem to work!
I've put it in the 'good candidates' folder!
Old 19 November 2022, 14:48   #84
Supamax

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post

No, WinUAE will treat the xx.x.raw file as a single file and will try to load just that file, which it can't as it's not in a supported format!
Oh, ok .
A xx.x raw file dump can only be used directly by the Kryoflux utility?

Which utility is the best one to convert from the xx.x raw file to a more convenient one (for WinUAE or Greaseweazle's GW.exe etc.)?

Quote:

Yes, a CT RAW takes all 168 RAW files (1 RAW for each track) created with a Kryoflux and creates a single file from them, however, not all protections/formats will work as CT RAW and DM is one of those that won't work!
Ok, thanks .
Old 19 November 2022, 17:21   #85
lesta_smsc

Quote:
I tested your image for half an hour and it would indeed seem to work!
I've put it in the 'good candidates' folder!
Excellent! Thanks for the feedback, I tested for around 20 minutes and that was on a real Amiga so I assumed if the image was written properly then the source / raw image was ok.

Hopefully @BarryB and @rhester72 can test it too to confirm and then maybe someone can risk an IPF conversion lol.
Old 19 November 2022, 17:24   #86
BarryB
Amigaholic

Only the publicly available Disk-Utilities will create IPF's from KF RAW dumps and only then if the format/protection is supported!

HxC will take KF RAW dumps and create HFE files to use in the HxC Floppy Emulator or Gotek with Keir's Flash Floppy firmware, it will also create ADF files for unprotected KF dumps for use in WinUAE!

My SCP dump I made of my v2.2 disk with Greaseweazle Guru'd on me while fighting the Rock Monsters
Old 19 November 2022, 18:05   #87
Supamax

Quote:
Excellent! Thanks for the feedback, I tested for around 20 minutes and that was on a real Amiga so I assumed if the image was written properly then the source / raw image was ok.

I'll gradually test all the images collected, just in case I find other 'good candidates'.

Using your image I still noticed this behaviour, but it could be normal for disk images of this troublesome protection: when clicking on the floppy icon in one charachter's menu, sometimes (40% of the time, maybe) the game asks for the master disk. If you click on Ok it will eventually proceed.
Maybe it doesn't do that on your real Amiga using the recreated original (from your .SCP image).

Also, but I'm probably being paranoid, when changing/adding clothes (i.e. trousers) I see enhancements which remain if I remove the clothes. Must investigate... is it normal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
Only the publicly available Disk-Utilities will create IPF's from KF RAW dumps and only then if the format/protection is supported!
Ok, thanks.
And... for disk analysis which is better, HxC or Keir's utilities? (tough question, I suppose)

Quote:
My SCP dump I made of my v2.2 disk with Greaseweazle Guru'd on me while fighting the Rock Monsters
Arrrgh

Which one, 3-revs or 5-revs?
Old 19 November 2022, 18:11   #88
BarryB
Amigaholic

5 revs

HxC will give you an idea if the disk is index-aligned, use the Dummy Disk view to see, best for ADOS disks!!
Old 19 November 2022, 22:28   #89
lesta_smsc

Quote:

Using your image I still noticed this behaviour, but it could be normal for disk images of this troublesome protection: when clicking on the floppy icon in one charachter's menu, sometimes (40% of the time, maybe) the game asks for the master disk. If you click on Ok it will eventually proceed.
Maybe it doesn't do that on your real Amiga using the recreated original (from your .SCP image).
Not noticed that behaviour with the working disk. However, one of the dumps worked ok on WinUAE but when that same dump was written to disk it said insert master disk around the time of FTL logo appearing so it was very early on.
Old 19 November 2022, 23:18   #90
Snoopy1234

Quote:
Oh, ok .
A xx.x raw file dump can only be used directly by the Kryoflux utility?

Which utility is the best one to convert from the xx.x raw file to a more convenient one (for WinUAE or Greaseweazle's GW.exe etc.)?

Ok, thanks .
GW.exe convert can transpose a folder of KF raw.xx files to an scp etc.
Old 20 November 2022, 00:27   #91
Snoopy1234

ipf (Keir Disk Utilities) of lesta_smsc scp image returns "Dungeon Master System Error 60" in Hall of Champions.
Old 20 November 2022, 03:54   #92
Supamax

Quote:
ipf (Keir Disk Utilities) of lesta_smsc scp image returns "Dungeon Master System Error 60" in Hall of Champions.
Hmmm, I suppose it's better to leave it in .scp format...

Quote:
GW.exe convert can transpose a folder of KF raw.xx files to an scp etc.
I didn't know that! Thanks!
Old 20 November 2022, 19:26   #93
lesta_smsc

Quote:
I'm not convinced an IPF conversion is warranted as unlike SCP, it needs refining before image is valid/useable.

Quote:
Hmmm, I suppose it's better to leave it in .scp format...
Yes, that is why I didn't bother to convert it.

I'd be interested to know if that error was reproducible on SCP itself?

As mentioned, I have several SCPs of my disk, but the one uploaded seem to run the smoothest (at least for me) from a written disk (the emulated disks seem okay).
Old 20 November 2022, 23:43   #94
Supamax

Quote:
I'm not convinced an IPF conversion is warranted as unlike SCP, it needs refining before image is valid/useable.
[...]
that is why I didn't bother to convert it.
Yes, I agree.
.SCP and .IPF formats remind me of the ZX Spectrum .TZX and .WAV formats.
(Simplifying) .SCP is the digital representation of the floppy disk analogue magnetic flux, just like .WAV is the digital representation of the cassette tape analogue waveform;
and .IPF is an interpreted conversion of .SCP, just like .TZX is an interpreted conversion of .WAV.
If the interpretation is not correct, the resulting file will be missing something.
Old 21 November 2022, 00:11   #95
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Yes, I agree.
.SCP and .IPF formats remind me of the ZX Spectrum .TZX and .WAV formats.
(Simplifying) .SCP is the digital representation of the floppy disk analogue magnetic flux, just like .WAV is the digital representation of the cassette tape analogue waveform;
and .IPF is an interpreted conversion of .SCP, just like .TZX is an interpreted conversion of .WAV.
If the interpretation is not correct, the resulting file will be missing something.
Yes. the IPF as it is cannot handle yet the protection system used. It's not simply Weaks bits used (There are already Amiga games in IPF using Weak Bits protections).... it requires more work on the IPF format to get the support.

as IFW explained it, "in practice the Amiga version checks for the fixed and random bitcells. The ST version can only check for the data bits (the Amiga one does check the clock bits), but does not matter, in principle the result is deterministic weak bits."
Old 21 November 2022, 16:05   #96
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
Yes. the IPF as it is cannot handle yet the protection system used. It's not simply Weaks bits used (There are already Amiga games in IPF using Weak Bits protections).... it requires more work on the IPF format to get the support.

as IFW explained it, "in practice the Amiga version checks for the fixed and random bitcells. The ST version can only check for the data bits (the Amiga one does check the clock bits), but does not matter, in principle the result is deterministic weak bits."
From the SCP I've uploaded, are you able to make sense of the quality of the dump? I'm wondering whether doing another run with more revolutions will help in anways although I hope that the disk dump in present state is playable @Supamax ?

Someone needs to longplay that version lol.
Old 21 November 2022, 16:36   #97
Supamax

Quote:
Someone needs to longplay that version lol.
The problem with DM's protections is that one can't be sure until he longplays it till the very end .
Old 21 November 2022, 17:06   #98
lesta_smsc

Quote:
The problem with DM's protections is that one can't be sure until he longplays it till the very end .
And so the journey by @Supamax starts at the entrance of the dungeon... lol
Old 21 November 2022, 17:20   #99
Supamax

Quote:
And so the journey by @Supamax starts at the entrance of the dungeon... lol
Old 15 December 2022, 17:27   #100
BarryB
Amigaholic

Just a 'heads up'!

Keir has now modified his DM decoder in Disk-Utilities to make an IPF that works under emulation, so let's get testing!!