English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 10 November 2003, 15:35   #21
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by JudasEZT
Pacmania was incredible on amiga (first fullsceen I saw in my life =) I suppose its really close to coinop.
I always thought it was really close, until I played the coinop version a few years ago. It's missing a LOT of stuff which the crappier looking Genesis version depicts better. Still good. The main sprite is nigh-on-perfect
Old 10 November 2003, 15:58   #22
Bloodwych

Pacmania was a very good conversion and had a larger play area than the coin-up, it just lacked a little speed in its gameplay in comparison. At least it was written specifically for the Amiga using its strengths.

Full screen Amiga games did feel special however and it's a shame that all games couldn't have been made like this. If only the Amiga had a little more umph; imagine Shadow of the Beast full screen! Wonder if they could have managed that with the A1200 or if other technical difficulties (like slow blitter) would have prevented this.

As good as the Pacmania game was, it wasn't as good as Clown O Mania in my opinion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image6.jpg
Views:	1011
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	6152  
Old 10 November 2003, 16:32   #23
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Hmm...whilst I think R-Type is a distinctly average port - especially compared to R-Type II its a bit harsh to call it worse than the SMS version.

And as far as the proliferation of non full screen Amiga games - think of it as a good thing: a kind of future proofing by the then game developers as they can be blown up big in scale on a widescreen TV
Old 10 November 2003, 17:53   #24
BippyM
Global Moderator

Super Space Invaders was quite good, not that I played the arcade ver!
Old 11 November 2003, 04:40   #25
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by Bloodwych
Pacmania was a very good conversion and had a larger play area than the coin-up, it just lacked a little speed in its gameplay in comparison. At least it was written specifically for the Amiga using its strengths.
Smaller screen? Pac mania's arcade screen is not smaller, it's just vertically-oriented. And the screenshot you posted show wnough graphical differences already, but the real deal is in the music and gameplay. They really have changed it a lot (and the Amiga game even has levels missing)
Old 11 November 2003, 05:18   #26
Miggy2TheMax

Quote:
Originally posted by 7-Zark-7

What Codetapper said-play the MAME version if you can to brush up on whats missing!! There was definitely a slowdown as Codetapper mentioned too,btw.

In a WIP preview of Mortal Kombat, that Option of Shang Tsung's alternate characters,was a compromise option chosen on technical grounds-if I recall correctly,the Amiga version was actually a direct port of the Megadrive version,(except maybe with the exception of the sound FX/music). Still, the game producer was very sincere in his observations in that preview & seemed determined to produce an above average conversion.

Agree with Pang being an excellent translation, has Rodland been included yet too? Although I haven't played it personally, I recall Zzap gave praise to Amiga P47 Thunderbolt with a comment along the lines of a "great conversion of a so-so arcade game". http://hol.abime.net/?id=1001
Wow... i really have people disagreeing with me here .. I'm going on when I played it last time.. eg 8yrs+ ago ... and during then I did not have the luxery to open mame in one window and an amiga emulator in another and compare the two. I guess my opinion is biast because I enjoyed the game itself a fair bit (the reason for my avatar) and found the amiga version to be very entertaining to play aswell. If I recall correctly playing the original one in the arcades, had a slowdown aswell... especially the baddies at the end of the train i think, maybe not as bad the amiga but a slowdown non the less.... or maybe my memory is just getting worse for wear
Old 11 November 2003, 11:33   #27
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

I think its fair to say that just because an Amiga conversion of an arcade game lacks some of the originals features doesnt mean its bad necessarily. I too enjoy Final Fight, even if its a cut down version.
Old 11 November 2003, 12:13   #28
manicx

Rodland was even better than the arcade. Speedwise it was faster and I think that's where the arcade was disappointing.
Old 11 November 2003, 12:44   #29
Bloodwych

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
Smaller screen? Pac mania's arcade screen is not smaller, it's just vertically-oriented. And the screenshot you posted show wnough graphical differences already, but the real deal is in the music and gameplay. They really have changed it a lot (and the Amiga game even has levels missing)
I agree Akira, it's definitely not the most accurate conversion but it's still a good one compared to other abysmal attempts.

As for the screen I realise it's oriented differently, but I only mentioned the Amiga version has a bigger "play area" which it clearly does. This actually helps gameplay, but the slower speed hinders it more in comparison to the arcade. The annoying thing is when you collect a green pill, the whole game speeds up to about the same rate it should play normally!

Overall a good conversion or should I say version of the game, but like you point out, not the most accurate.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 11 November 2003 at 13:00.
Old 11 November 2003, 13:05   #30
Amiga1992

Quote:
the Amiga version has a bigger "play area" which it clearly does.
Well... the maps are just as big and the sprite doesn't move any further from the center of the screen, so I would say the "play" area is the same. you can see more of the map to the sides, yes. But since the other game is vertically oriented, what you gain horizontally, you lose vertically

Don;t get me wrong, I love Amiga pac-mania! but this thread is about MOST ACCURATE CONVERSIONS, so that's what I'm talking about

The latter Pacmania levels get speedier and more enjoyable. The speed of the first levels is disgusting.
Old 11 November 2003, 13:26   #31
Bloodwych

Grrr, Akira, you're warping the meaning of my terms on purpose you sneaky thing - by play area I meant the amount of map shown on the screen and the Amiga version has more or less the same vertically and quite a bit more horizontally regardless of how the monitor was mounted in the arcade!!! Just look at the pics

Which of course makes it less accurate. Which then of course backs up your comments that were on-topic. So I'm basically agreeing with you. But I did that in my last post.

ARRGGGHHHH I'm just going to shut up.

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira

The latter Pacmania levels get speedier and more enjoyable. The speed of teh first levels is disgusting.
Oh yeah, I forgot it got faster on later levels! Man, I haven't played the game for so long! That's not so bad then just frustrating at first.
Old 11 November 2003, 13:46   #32
Bloodwych

Back on topic, what about Dragon Ninja?

A fairly accurate conversion:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image6.jpg
Views:	985
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	6154  
Old 11 November 2003, 15:05   #33
spiff
Oh noes!

Roll eyes (sarcastic)

Super hangon?

Rememberd it in the wrong thread
Old 11 November 2003, 15:42   #34
Bloodwych

What do you mean remembered it in the wrong thread - it was a valid submission!

It's just the bikes always seemed so small on the Amiga version and everything didn't move with the same quality and speed.

Not too bad - I prefer RVF Honda for playability.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image4.jpg
Views:	919
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	6155  
Old 11 November 2003, 16:14   #35
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Super Hang-on & Power Drift.....poles apart

Super Hang-on was a terrific conversion (pretty faithful to the original coin-op), especially given it was released in 1988. Pity ZZKJ couldn't pull off the same sort of magic in converting Power Drift!
Old 11 November 2003, 17:45   #36
Amiga1992

Quote:
the Amiga version has more or less the same vertically and quite a bit more horizontally regardless of how the monitor was mounted in the arcade!!! Just look at the pics
It obviously matches vertically because you edited the pic

Super Hang-On is fabbo. But I cannot understand how ZZKJ screwed it up for Outrun as well.
Old 12 November 2003, 00:14   #37
staticgerbil

I have never seen this arcade machine in real life so don't know how it played but...

Didn't the Zool machine basically have a cd32 in it? If so i would say that the amiga and arcade version would be spot on.

[edit] That is probably more of an "Which are the most accurate Arcade Amiga conversions?" maybe? Depends how you read it i guess.[/edit]
Old 12 November 2003, 00:27   #38
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

What about Rolling Thunder?
*ducks*
Old 12 November 2003, 01:00   #39
staticgerbil

Were there any other games that went to the arcades from the amiga?
Old 12 November 2003, 01:02   #40
spiff
Oh noes!

Lemmings made it to the prototype test.. The amiga gfx dumped directly and the sound from the ST I'm guessing.