English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 15 August 2012, 02:08   #1
Amiga1992

AROS on Mac PPC?

Is this possible? I saw references to a PPC version of AROS availabe but I didnt find it. Is there any distro that caters for this?

Would be awesome to install AROS on my iBook.
Old 19 August 2012, 23:31   #2
OlafSch

I know that Jason is working on the PPC version (I think for SAM computers). There is still a problem to create a distribution because you need all compiled for PPC. But it is possible.
Old 04 September 2012, 18:40   #3
fishyfish
Banned

The only native PPC versions of AROS are for Efika and Sam440, with a Sam460 port being worked on.

Most other PPC hardware will run AROS, but hosted.
Old 04 September 2012, 18:52   #4
Amiga1992

It would be great if this hardware is considered, since it's a very cheap and portable alternative.
Old 05 October 2012, 11:19   #5
OlafSch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Is this possible? I saw references to a PPC version of AROS availabe but I didnt find it. Is there any distro that caters for this?

Would be awesome to install AROS on my iBook.
I know nothing new regarding Aros (X86). But I know that PUAE and my distribution "Aros Vision" runs on Mac.
Old 05 October 2012, 16:23   #6
fishyfish
Banned

Too slow to be usable though unfortunately. PPC uae currently has no jit, and 68k aros itself is slow. Combine the 2 and it verges on useless
OS3.x should be usable, albiet quite modest in terms of speed, but 68k isnt the point here anyway
Old 26 June 2015, 15:51   #7
Amiga1992

So, again, why has nobody built AROS PPC to run on actually widely available and cheap hardware like PowerPC Macs?
This is ridiculous. Why support junk like efika and Sam4** and not iBooks, mac Minis and Powermacs?

Old 25 September 2018, 21:48   #8
amigappc

I could not agree more, even in 2018.
That hardware is cheap and available past few years, and it could give boost to Amiga community, much more than overpriced new PPC boards.
Old 26 September 2018, 00:45   #9
grelbfarlk

Back thread necromancer back! The power of Persephone compels you!

Though this changed, there is now JIT for UAE PPC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyfish View Post
Too slow to be usable though unfortunately. PPC uae currently has no jit, and 68k aros itself is slow. Combine the 2 and it verges on useless
OS3.x should be usable, albiet quite modest in terms of speed, but 68k isnt the point here anyway
Old 26 September 2018, 10:19   #10
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyfish View Post
and 68k aros itself is slow.
Now no more, AROS 68k is growing considerably

WinUAE AROS 68k
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 26 September 2018, 13:23   #11
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
Now no more, AROS 68k is growing considerably

WinUAE AROS 68k
[ Show youtube player ]
So still slow then? That's on an 060 and you can watch the windows drawing!
Old 26 September 2018, 23:56   #12
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
So still slow then? That's on an 060 and you can watch the windows drawing!
First of all I used an old DualCore PC and old AROS versions, second the slowness you notice is not a power problem but linked to the graphics drivers, otherwise he could not do this:

AROS 68k: Warp3D
[ Show youtube player ]

AROS 68k: NetSurf 68k
[ Show youtube player ]

AROS: Quake3
[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 27 September 2018 at 00:09.
Old 28 September 2018, 04:16   #13
grelbfarlk

Right, one of the major complaints against AROS are the slowness of the graphics API. That you have some fast possibly 3d accelerated drivers for games is nice and all but when you're saying a DualCore PC can't possibly be as fast as a 50MHz 060 with a Zorro Graphics card drawing windows in AmigaOS 3.x, that sort of means it's slow.

But it can get better one of these days.
Old 28 September 2018, 10:27   #14
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
DualCore PC can't possibly be as fast as a 50MHz 060 with a Zorro Graphics card drawing windows in AmigaOS 3.x, that sort of means it's slow.

But it can get better one of these days.
These RTG configurations require a powerful PC, if you do not have a high performance CPU, a good Video Card or a good Audio Card the difference is noticeable.

Do a little try, install an RTG system like that of my video and then try it on a DualCore with powerful Video Card and then do it on a DualCore with Video Card "integrated", well the difference will be considerable.

[ Show youtube player ]

Another test you can do is to try playing 3 MP3 or more at the same time, if you do not have a PC with the right hardware you will not be able to do it.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 28 September 2018, 11:32   #15
kolla
Banned

One of these days I should record AROS/68k that I have installed on MiST and MiSTer
Old 28 September 2018, 11:40   #16
kolla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
one of the major complaints against AROS are the slowness of the graphics API.
This slowness can also to some degree be avoided by simply configuration. Most people also don't expect OS3 Workbench with 8bit plane (256 colours) mode to be particularly fast, and the same is of course also the case for AROS/68k. Nobody expects true colour OS4 or PNG icons to fast on ECS/AGA with OS3, and the same is of course also the case for AROS/68k. Same for theming. Once you trim away all the "bling bling" and cosmetic cruft of the default AROS and replace them with OS3 equivalents of your choice, things speed up quite a lot. I use AmigaOS scsi.device (needed for IDE controller at this point), pfs3aio, PeterK's icon.library and DirectoryOpus 5.91 on AROS/68k. The fact that LoadModule works to load scsi.device under AROS/68k, and that scsi.device and pfs3aio, as well as icon.library just work without much hassle, is a testament to how compatible AROS really is.

As for AROS on PPC - anyone with a PPC system can do that, it is a matter of interest and accessible hardware. Also, AROS can be used hosted on PPC, which is how I prefer running AROS on "capable" systems anyways.

Last edited by kolla; 28 September 2018 at 11:46.
Old 28 September 2018, 23:47   #17
grelbfarlk

Well it's also slow with RTG too. I mean run the same hardware with a comparable screen resolution and bit depth and AROS is far slower. Some have said it's the Workbench replacement that's slow too, but as you said Directory Opus could be used instead.

I'm not hating on it, just when I tried running it on real hardware the response from people with more AROS experience was basically yeah, the graphics API is just not good yet.
Old 29 September 2018, 20:43   #18
AMIGASYSTEM

I believe they are working on the graphics AP, we wait confident, in the meantime AROS 68k is starting to be more and more compatible even with the old Amiga games.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 02 October 2018, 07:36   #19
Hewitson

I love how the title of the video says it "works well". It's completely unusable!
Old 02 October 2018, 08:42   #20
AMIGASYSTEM

Meanwhile, it is a system under construction that is not currently directed to common use, but in any case there is a lot of compatibility with OS3 and many things work if you know OS3. At the moment no Amiga system is usable and is in step with the times, so there is nothing to reproach at Aros 68k.