English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware pics

Old 29 May 2011, 09:23   #81
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkauer View Post
Coze is selling an unopened 1351 at Amibay right now.
Thanks, but that doesn't seem a 1351.

I'll search for it.

I would like to know if there's any other difference between the Amiga and the Commodore 1351 mouse, as if the only one is the cable (and the sticker under it) I'll be happy to have cutted a more common Amiga one so I can keep the 1351 and make the other look like it just using it's cable.

Last edited by Retrofan; 29 May 2011 at 18:09.
Old 30 May 2011, 04:17   #82
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Difference (in visual) is only the size of the connector on some A1351 and the sticker on the underside.
Old 04 June 2011, 14:40   #83
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Now my mouse isn't the more important.
I've tried 3 different ram modules and it doesn't start.

Read this from another forum about my AT5IONT-I:

"My solution, I know this is not available to everyone, was to update the BIOS by removing, reprogramming and re-installing the socketed BIOS FLASH chip. I used version BIOS 0316 from the ASUS website and for info as supplied it was probably 0312 although I can’t be 100% sure. The FLASH is in an 8-pin Dual-inline Package near the CMOS clear jumpers (rear-right when viewed from the back-plate). I have a stand alone programmer for my embedded designs that can program the Winbond W25Q80BV chip that is used for the BIOS FLASH. I decided to try to update the BIOS chip rather than send the board back as a DOA only to have the same problem with the next board.

I've now had my favourite Memory tester (MemoryTest86+) running for more than three passes without an error (that's more than 6 hours of testing for the 4GB total RAM). My next step is to try WIN7!!

The good news is that, for me, the 2GB Kingston KVR1066D3S7/2G works with BIOS 0316. The bad news is ‘Can I trust ASUS products?’ ‘Will the board continue to work at all temperatures and power-supply fluctuations that it will see during the normal life of a Motherboard?’

Big thanks to the forum contributors on this and other forums that gave me the confidence to suspect the BIOS version as the problem.
"

I've ordered an updated Bios chip (I didn't know I could buy it).

Or it's the Bios or my "as new" mb is DOA.
Old 04 June 2011, 17:44   #84
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
Have you see raukers post on amibay about the use of crap heat past between chips and their heat sinks ??, just a thought
Old 04 June 2011, 20:16   #85
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfrog View Post
Have you see raukers post on amibay about the use of crap heat past between chips and their heat sinks ??, just a thought

Thanks. You say this: http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php...ght=heat+paste

I hadn't seen it, but in fact I thought and did the same a couple of days ago. I changed the thermal paste for Artic Silver 5 just as I did with an XBox.

But that's not the problem. As I've said or it's the Bios or it's Dead On Arrival.

Last edited by Retrofan; 05 June 2011 at 23:48.
Old 05 June 2011, 00:27   #86
CritAnime

I hope it is just the BIOS thats having issues. it sounds to me that if they are releasing an update for it then it possibly is just that.

I hope it goes alright for you friend.
Old 05 June 2011, 00:35   #87
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Thanks mate. If it isn't I will sell my car or something to buy another mini Itx...
Old 05 June 2011, 13:56   #88
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Like I said it was just a thought

but I really want to see this finished as I`m sure u do to
Old 05 June 2011, 23:25   #89
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Yes, you'll see it working no matter what problems I'll find in the way (and how much money...)

I think I will need to change another thing: The joystick connectors. They work with the ones of the Keyrah, but it seems they are done for a 1 button joystick.

The best would be to disconnect them (so now, if you want to make this mod you won't need to solder so many cables from the keyrah) and use a couple of USB to DB9 adaptors there.

I'll have to try it when it will be working.

Last edited by Retrofan; 16 July 2011 at 03:12.
Old 08 June 2011, 21:05   #90
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

It seems that Amigakit were waiting for me to need it (today's thread): http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=59209
I've already ordered it.

But tell me what do you believe. This is what the keyrah says:

"Joysticks:
Only joysticks with one fire button are supported. In switch position "off" (down), joystick 1 will output cursor keys, and the firebutton will "press" the space bar. Joystick 2 is mapped to the keys of the numeric keypad:
right=6
left=4
up=8
down=2
fire=5

Switch position "on" (up) will leave joystick 2 unchanged, but the key codes for joystick 1 are re-mapped to:
right=1
left=7
up=9
down=3
fire=0 "

I still haven't tried them with the keyrah (well, I've tried that they work in Word), but what I'm thinking is that I need to connect there a joystick that you can use to play games not only for C=64, but for the more platforms (and buttons) the better. Yes, I can use too an usb joystick for the rest, but connecting it at the rear part.

Do you agree that I should change both keyrah joystick connectors and put there the Amigakit ones?

EDIT: Update: Waiting for a new mini ITX...

Last edited by Retrofan; 13 July 2011 at 00:44.
Old 13 July 2011, 00:51   #91
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Well... sometimes you can buy something "as new" and it's "as broken".
But... Today I've received my new Asus Mini ITX and I've just booted it will all connected (I will detail what later) using the HDMI cable.

IT WORKS!!! I get the Windows 7 installation process working and I can use my mouse. All very, very silent; you don't notice it's running (I'm using now only the large fan, surely will put another, smaller, later). The problem now is that it is asking for the drivers (I don't know why it does need them if it's reading the dvd drive) of the dvd.

I don't have them. It's an hp DU10N Dvd-Rom drive. Does anybody know where can I get the drivers?

EDIT: Or do I try installing Ubuntu 11.04?

EDIT: It seems it lets me install Ubuntu. Now goes the question: Shall I go Ubuntu or Windows 7 Ultimate searching the drivers I can't find?... Can I use MAME with Ubuntu? And hyperspin? And tell me soon, if not I will go Ubuntu tomorrow.

EDIT:... I will wait. This seems very interesting: http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/4...g-install.html

Last edited by Retrofan; 19 July 2011 at 01:35.
Old 13 July 2011, 07:09   #92
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

It's all based on your personal preference 100%
I used many times both OSes (Ubuntu and Windows) with success but when I had to decide what to keep... I always turned back to Windows due to simplicity and a great know-how that I have.
Ubuntu has matured and it's really awesome these days (although since last versions Kubuntu is more responsive imho).

Take a spin in both OSes and decide a week later
Old 14 July 2011, 12:56   #93
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

windows7 when connected to the net might be able to find the drivers for its self

but surley asus will have all the drivers you need ??
Old 14 July 2011, 13:17   #94
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

The problem is my Ultimate dvd, not the drivers:
http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/4...g-install.html

Now I'm trying to boot from a pendrive using the instructions of Jess Coburn: http://jesscoburn.com/archives/2007/...sb-thumbdrive/

"Format the thumb drive
1.from a DOS prompt execute: diskpart
2.list disk
3.select disk 1 (assuming disk 1 was your thumb drive in the above list disk command)
4.clean
5.create partition primary
6.select partition 1
7.active
8.format fs=fat32
9.assign
10.exit

Copy the Win2008 install files
1.xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (assumes your dvd is drive D: and your thumb drive is drive E:\, adjust accordingly)

That’s all it took other than verifying the server BIOS was set to boot off of the USB device."

EDIT:
It was very extrange what was happening. The pendrive booted without problems, but even with the dvd drive disconected from the mb, it asked for the drivers of the dvd...

But ...I've just installed Windows 7 Professional and it's working right

Right now I'm installing the drivers for the Wlan usb wifi, but I had to connect it first with ethernet to find the drivers.

EDIT: jojo... This posted using wifi... I have to connect again the C=64 keyboard, as I'm using to install it all an usb one, as it was too difficult to find where f8 and other keys are in the C=64

I have to put it looking well to take some photos, although all is running, and have to configure a little Windows 7 to make a nice video... perhaps before than the C64x running?

Last edited by Retrofan; 07 August 2011 at 01:34.
Old 16 July 2011, 00:28   #95
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

A photo of the progress in my -more than ever- messy place:

I've got a couple of ideas in my mind:

-To take off the cable of the mouse:
Against: It won't look as "original" (although for that (just the cable) I should buy another -expensive and rare- mouse).
In favor: I can use it from further.
-To buy an smaller PSU and to put it inside a C=64 one (I bought that Psu a couple of days ago).
-To change at least one of the Keyrah joystick connectors and use an Amigakit one -but for this I want to try it first-
-To install Mala to use it as a multiplatform games "place". I'm on it. I liked hyperspin, but I believe it needs too much cpu to run it right (too much videos, images, music...I installed it in my laptop). Mala is nice and I want to try it in my "multiplatform machine". I don't want to slow it's speed.
-To use a C=64 screen screensaver... I know one that works great. I will be installing it.
EDIT: I was reading another forum talking about the C64x thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duce View Post
Only thing is, Eliyahu - people are having massive problems with the damned things. Overheating is a common problem, so bad that wireless networking doesn't work and a guy is forced to crack the case, void warranty and put new fans into, as well as run it on a laptop cooling stand.

The things are a goddamned trainwreck for some of these people. A "nice creation" doesn't run at such high core temps, lol.

How's the "Cherry Brand" keyboard when the underside of the case is at 140 degrees?
Mine doesn't overheat (it's been 4 hours installing things right now) and I've got it connected using wifi...jojojo

EDIT: Hey Jens, if you see this post I would like to know what are you thinking about this project and how I'm using your Keyrah.

EDIT: I was going to close it right now, but while doing it's making updating 1 of 81 ones...

Last edited by Retrofan; 16 July 2011 at 04:14.
Old 17 July 2011, 22:25   #96
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Well, I've got all connected internally and to have enough Usb connectors I'm using a Pci express card with 5 ones. I've got the Keyboard, card reader (to the mb), internal wifi, wireless mouse... and all working. I've left finally the hd light connected to a led inside the power button, and the C=64 light connected to the Keyrah.
This is a photo I taked before I closed it (well, I added another fan later).

And I've just made a poor quality video:

[ Show youtube player ]

Sorry but my mobile likes to control the volume...

Last edited by Retrofan; 18 July 2011 at 00:50.
Old 17 July 2011, 23:17   #97
prowler
Global Moderator

Congratulations! What a wonderful result you have produced from this project with all your hard work! It's superb! You must be very proud of that! Well done, mate!!!
Old 17 July 2011, 23:38   #98
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Thanks mate. I am. And I'm wondering what's happening with the C64x's running videos. I installed Windows 7 on friday and it has only taked me two days to change the wallpaper to show the C64 screen with the prompt moving (dreamscene with a video of vice running), hide the bin icon and install Mala. I also installed the new C64x launcher, some drivers and updates, a C64 screensaver (http://www.kephyr.com/c64screensaver/index.phtml) and few more...

EDIT: And I want to thank you in first place for your help, TCD, cosmicfrog, CritAnime, Mfilos and the other guys who had trusted me.

Last edited by Retrofan; 09 August 2015 at 00:51.
Old 18 July 2011, 14:31   #99
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Looks good to me, took me a few mins realise the c64 was just a background, nice
Old 19 July 2011, 01:13   #100
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Thanks. It looks like a real C=64 running. I like it.

I like too how fast it boots. In my laptop I've got Vista, with password, and it takes about 7 minutes to boot (well, ok it's full of things). This takes... how much, a minute?
Now I'm going to use any of the remaining internal Usb connectors to use a cordless gamepad for the games that need more than one button, for example to use Mala. In the video I'm using to move between platforms an Usb gamepad. I will leave the keyrah connectors as they work very well with the new great C=64x emulator platform. I'll make a better video of it running... Yes, I want to show what this little machine with an integrated keyboard can make... An almost real C=64 upgraded to 2011.

Now I think I will take off the cable of the mouse so I'll be able to use it from further, as I'll be with the cordless gamepad.

I'm thinking about changing the bezel of the dvd too, making one with the remaining plastic of the Commodore. Will see what I do.

EDIT: System updated with Anytime Upgrade to Ultimate, 64bits... (hard work on it; it's 2:59 in the morning and I'm working tomorrow).
Tomorrow I will try to make another partition to install Amiga Forever as a bootable partition with Linux.

And some news: I will be using Blu-Ray... Perhaps I will change the bezel and will be using one with the plastic of the C=... and I'm waiting for an original C= joystick....

EDIT (28/July):
I have to say I'm extremely happy of how this thing is running (I'm posting on it). It goes very fast with Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1. Yesterday I noticed (I'm installing Amiga Forever) that the Card Reader wasn't detecting the Pcmcia cards, and it was showing some problem in hardware caused by the controllers. It seems I've fixed them today. Now (right now) I've just changed the Dvd drive for a BluRay (slim one to make it fit), and I've changed the bezel to one made with the remaining plastic of the C=64, so it will look more as an original improvement over the C=64 when you'll see it. I'm thinking to put a C= logo over that bezel. Tomorrow I will low the keyboard for this height I've won, to put it at the right height.
And the best will be that I'll be able to play 3D movies in my led TV!! I didn't have a Blu-Ray player.

I'v been reading and trying too to use Ubuntu, Knoppix, Aros, Windows XP lite with WinUAE at boot, but there's something I don't like in all of those OS's: I would have to use an OS launcher to select between one or another, and I want it to boot directly. I thought I could select between a System or another using different partitions selecting them in the Bios, but it seems the Bios is used by the OS's and you have to use always a launcher for them. Am I wrong? I don't want that.
I'm waiting to receive too a wireless gamepad that I will be connecting internally, so you won't see anything outside (well, Hdmi, Psu and optionally another cable to connect to my Hi-Fi). When I will have the joystick I will connect it to a 42" Led Tv and will make a better video to show it to you and my other friends.

Now there's one thing I would like to know how to do: to change the F12 key (which I don't have) to work with another key. It can be done adding for example "win32.guikey=0x29" (Tilde-key), but I don't know how to do it or where. EDIT: I think I will try with this:
http://www.usnetizen.com/fix_capslock.php

Last edited by Retrofan; 28 July 2011 at 14:52.