English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

View Poll Results: Wich is your favorite Lotus?
Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge 31 23.13%
Lotus Turbo Challenge 2 86 64.18%
Lotus 3: The Ultimate Challenge 17 12.69%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11 August 2004, 21:52   #1
Marcuz

Wich Lotus do you pick?

The Shadow of the Beast poll gives me this idea:
wich is your favorite of the three Lotus Turbo Challenge?
i'm also interested in knowing if there are also racecar games in the same league of this, i mean with similar gameplay, that you feel/felt in competition with these and why you find them better or worse of this saga.
Old 11 August 2004, 21:56   #2
BippyM
Global Moderator

Lotus 2 all the way man!
Old 11 August 2004, 22:04   #3
the wolf
Just Leeching

Lotus 2, no way!
Old 11 August 2004, 22:25   #4
Eny-
R3tr0 G4m3r

Divided between 2 and 3... but my choice ... Lotus 3... as more tracks than the 2nd
Old 11 August 2004, 22:48   #5
RetroMan

Lotus 2 for sure
Old 11 August 2004, 23:01   #6
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Thumbs up Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge for me!

Lotus 1 is the most fun with it's "must get within top 10 each race" and is very fast. Pity the cars are the same colour. I played this game an enormous number of times with my brother competing to win the championship on hard. It's good to see a game that makes you want to play through it on harder levels. Nothing better than seeing your human opponent smash into a solid barrier and come to a complete halt while you fly past!

Lotus 2 is great but I don't like the checkpoint thing as much as Lotus 1. The graphics are the best of the series but it's silly that you can just bounce off everything.

Lotus 3 is just naff - the road goes backwards most of the time, stupid futuristic turbo zones, road is so wide on some tracks you can just drive in a straight line, and the track editor is garbage. Lotus 3 was a complete letdown for me.
Old 11 August 2004, 23:06   #7
Marcuz

heh lotus 1 was almost the same for me and my brother, with him being a couple of positions ahead (he got also to win on hard), me giving him punch and screams here and there... and it was my first game, original and boxed.

and about games you like better or worse and why?
Old 11 August 2004, 23:54   #8
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

This is gonna be a whitewash.

Lotus 2 without a doubt.

It's like running a james pond poll, the 2nd one will romp home easy.

It's got everything. Full screen driving, great sounds, great tracks, great gameplay. ROCK ON!

Old 12 August 2004, 01:19   #9
StarEye
Zone Friend

I pick Lotus II, simply because that's the one I've played the most with my cousin (maybe completed the game - with cheat - around 100-200 times).

But the first one is very special too, the sounds were better, speed was faster, the crashes were more realistic (in the sense that you lost much more speed than in Lotus II). Still the second one have some great samples, like "TURBO" or "EXTRA TIME", or the unforgettable "YEEEHAAAW" when driving under a trailor.

Lotus III wasn't dissapointing, it had an excellent number of tracks, and the choice of cars was a great addition, as well as bringing the Radio back. I missed the samples from Lotus II though.

Come to think of it, I think it's a shame they never made Super Cars III too, as an alternative to Lotus III.
Old 12 August 2004, 01:26   #10
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

Send a message via MSN to sarek2k
Supercars 1 & 2 oh sh*t wrong game ok then Lotus 1 because my m8 always used to run out of fuel before end of 2 player race. 2 was good 3 i didn't like at all!
Old 12 August 2004, 06:44   #11
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Sarak reminded me of something - the refueling! It was a really awesome aspect of Lotus 1 (that is sadly lacking from the other 2) in that if you were behind you could try and gain valuable positions and time by not fueling and risking running out of petrol!

In 2 player mode it was brilliant because you might be winning, with one lap to go you are unsure if you will make it so you pull in for fuel, then look down and see your opponent drive past the pits then start abusing them saying things like "you'll never make it!" and secretly hoping they'll run out of gas!

Also when you are just out of the top 10 with one lap to go, sometimes you stupidly forego petrol thinking you will lose too many positions in the pits and often it will cost you the race!

Lotus 1 is definitely the best of the 3 for 2 player action - just brilliant!
Old 12 August 2004, 07:51   #12
oldpx

Old 12 August 2004, 14:56   #13
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Thumbs up

Gotta go with Codetapper on this one, Lotus one for sure. Though not the most varied driving game ever, it was as good for the Amiga as Pitstop II was on the C64.
It finally showed what an Amiga race car game could be like,with smooth graduated hills/road effects,& was (in 1 player mode esp.),FAST-a far better illusion of speed than the like of Batman the movie's 3D effect which up 'til then had been regarded as decent 3d rather than the jerkfest that truly was!

Dunno about the roadblocks though-more often than not the CPU cars miraculously could fit though road barriers,overtake you & send you crashing to a halt whilst you usually needed at least two cars width to try & perform a similar overtake-very annoying!
Old 12 August 2004, 16:49   #14
Magix
calm down do how.

Send a message via ICQ to Magix
Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge is the best.
Old 12 August 2004, 20:50   #15
Eggsplosion

lotus 2
Old 12 August 2004, 21:24   #16
Jope
-

Lotus number two, please. Three was also nice, but two was nicer.
Old 12 August 2004, 21:27   #17
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper
Sarak reminded me of something - the refueling! It was a really awesome aspect of Lotus 1 (that is sadly lacking from the other 2) in that if you were behind you could try and gain valuable positions and time by not fueling and risking running out of petrol!
Lotus 3 also has that if you select the "not time limited" mode.. Then you have a fuel gauge and have to refuel after checkpoints if there's not enough.
Old 13 August 2004, 00:15   #18
Drake1009

Lotus 2 was great. It had more soul. 3 was fun because you had that many level types but 2 had predefined levels which you could remember stuff from, for example the lieing signs in the foggy level where the signs point the wrong way in one of the turns.
Old 13 August 2004, 01:41   #19
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

Send a message via MSN to sarek2k
Just noticed @Codetapper it's Sarek not sarak geez you should know me m8 i am in your Action group and did logo graphics for your site (reminder the action logo made of over 50 layers! lol)
Old 13 August 2004, 08:04   #20
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Lotus 3 for me.

I liked what The One said about Lotus 3

1 + 2 = 3

That's how I feel about Lotus 3. They took the the best things of Lotus 1 and 2, mixed everything and made Lotus 3.

Anyway, IMO, Jaguar XJ220 was better, and Lamborghini American Challenge was better than Jaguar, and Domark's F1 was better than Lamborghini.

So, I've never been a big fan of Lotus anyway . But Lotus 2 was the best racing game back when it was released. I remember playing it a lot with a friend of mine. It just got easily forgotten after Jaguar was released.