English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 15 May 2004, 06:04   #1
Oscar Castillo

Send a message via AIM to Oscar Castillo
Looks like it's about to happen.

http://www.hyperion-entertainment.com/_amiga/index.html

Looks like OS4 really is around the corner. Anyone for an A1?
I have plenty of quality spares, basically just need the board & OS. I might just do it, but I dread having to deal with software hut again with that kinda cash.
Old 15 May 2004, 06:46   #2
spiff
Oh noes!

I havn't tried 4.0..
But from what I get its like paying for a mac but not getting OSX..
And compatible with amiga trough UAE?
I'm more compatible trough winUAE under x86 then..

As for os4 A lot has happened since 3.9 and if the a1 ships with a complete linux install what's the point of running a 4.0 on it? KDE or gnome will do the same things but with better support and critical updates.
Old 15 May 2004, 12:22   #3
Oscar Castillo

For me, I'm not really interested in any backward compatability. I want to check out the APIs and write some code. I thought about just using the classic Amigas, but haven't come across a decent C compiler with documentation and all. Looked around online at some Amiga dealers and didn't see any. But you're right it's certainly in the price range of an iMac and still infinished. Looks like the name Amiga and high prices will always stay with it.
Old 15 May 2004, 12:52   #4
Ian
Global Moderator

If I wanted to buy a relatively unsupported piece of crap, I'd buy a Mac.

Only Amiga "Uber Ubernerds" will even consider using OS4 or an AmigaOne for that matter, if I had one, it'd be running Linux.

It's nothing more than some hardware manufacturer cashing in on the Amiga name.

I wouldn't mind if it was some chinese sweatshop knocking out replica's of the A500 and A1200, that would be acceptable, but not something that has no relationship to the REAL Amigas other than someone's written an OS and called it OS4.0.

Last edited by Ian; 15 May 2004 at 13:00.
Old 15 May 2004, 12:56   #5
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Im with Ian, sorry. Even the MCC project was more related to the Amiga than this.
Old 15 May 2004, 14:16   #6
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff
But from what I get its like paying for a mac but not getting OSX..
Not only that, but you would be paying the same as the cost of a high end Mac, and getting REALLY old hardware. Yeah, it is a waste of money to be honest.
Old 15 May 2004, 18:01   #7
Oscar Castillo

I suppose you are all right, but I'm only really interested in the OS itself. I would prefer it was sold standalone, so I can dual boot with OS X, but it's not so I don't have much of a choice if I want to try it out. But like I said I'm not looking to keep any ties to the old hardware or software. It's old and outdated and don't want to keep buying old hardware for spares.
Old 15 May 2004, 19:45   #8
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian

No offense gay gay, but you are wrong. Mac software is plentiful, top quality in most cases and the best dedicated hardware support
of any major computer manufacturer. Don't even try and compare the OS's
Old 15 May 2004, 19:55   #9
Ian
Global Moderator

But compared to Winblows, it's relatively unsupported crap.

Last edited by Ian; 15 May 2004 at 21:18.
Old 15 May 2004, 21:12   #10
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Macs have enough support to be able to get just about any comon job done. PC's get enough support to get any job done.

OS4 and A1 get enough support to boot, and run an amiga emulator. For the price of a motherboard and OS you could get a new PC with an amiga emulator.

I predict OS 4 will be abandoned within a year of release as all parties go bankrupt or find another market of unloved faithfuls to milk out of hard earned money.
Old 15 May 2004, 23:45   #11
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Quote:
and the best dedicated hardware support of any major computer manufacturer
Exactly, as if they didn't they woudln't have any hardware at all. The reason they are so expensive is because it is virtually proprietry.
Old 16 May 2004, 01:42   #12
Unknown_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enverex
Exactly, as if they didn't they woudln't have any hardware at all. The reason they are so expensive is because it is virtually proprietry.

The only thing proprietary on the new mac is OSX and the case look, everything else is industry standard (I believe the g5 itself is being sold to other companies and is in IBM's own equipment).

Macs cost alot because they have a VERY high markup compared to PC makers who kill for 5% profit on each machine they make.
Old 16 May 2004, 19:47   #13
Korodny
Zone Friend

Well, I wouldn't by one yet (okay, I did - but I'm stupid sometimes), they're too expensive right now. Eyetech need to make a profit, and currently they're targeting 4000-5000 Amiga nerds (that's their own estimation, not mine).

Small production runs are extremely expensive, that's why the machines are that expensive right now. Eyetech is targetting other markets (embedded, industrial appliances, kiosk systems etc. - but they need OS4 to be attractive to those customers) and once they manage to strike a deal about several 10k A1 motherboards, the machines will be a lot cheaper.

About the OS part: It's always funny to watch you guys slagging of OS4. You really seem to be pissed that someone stole your trademark
Old 17 May 2004, 03:40   #14
Unknown_K

I was under the impression they were not making a profit on those boards because of the R&D charges needed to design them, and sales even to the geek audience was low.

No profits means that sooner or later they will quit supporting it.
Old 17 May 2004, 06:28   #15
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Ian, Ian, Ian. I'll have to chip in and agree with Fred. I think Macs are second to the PCs in terms of software support, and development is growing thanx to the X nerds coding stuff for OSX. They don't have as much shit as PCs, but the PC's have lots of smelly turds among all that shit. If we're talking volumes only... probably you have a point. But macs still are second.

Regarding OS4, I'll wait for someone to "hack it" or something so it runs in ANY PPC hardware. Then I'm installing it in my mac. I think I can wait eons for this to happen, innit?
Old 17 May 2004, 08:32   #16
Unknown_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira
Ian, Ian, Ian. I'll have to chip in and agree with Fred. I think Macs are second to the PCs in terms of software support, and development is growing thanx to the X nerds coding stuff for OSX. They don't have as much shit as PCs, but the PC's have lots of smelly turds among all that shit. If we're talking volumes only... probably you have a point. But macs still are second.

Regarding OS4, I'll wait for someone to "hack it" or something so it runs in ANY PPC hardware. Then I'm installing it in my mac. I think I can wait eons for this to happen, innit?
I remember Stalin saying that "Quantity has a quality all of its own", in this case meaning there might be some crap apps for the PC but they have all thier bases covered with mostly good software in every category known.
Old 17 May 2004, 19:01   #17
Korodny
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown_K
I was under the impression they were not making a profit on those boards because of the R&D charges needed to design them,
No. Eyetech made sure that the price includes appropriate profit margins for both themselves and the involved dealers.

Quote:
and sales even to the geek audience was low.
Certainly not. According to rumours, they sold more than 1000 boards until now - i.e. *before* there was any OS available.

The "geek audience" was (until now) the only target.
Old 19 May 2004, 21:38   #18
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown_K
I remember Stalin saying that "Quantity has a quality all of its own", in this case meaning there might be some crap apps for the PC but they have all thier bases covered with mostly good software in every category known.
Stalin needed sheer quantitity to counterbalance the poor quality, at least in the early going, of his hardware, officers and troops. Compared to the german men and eqiptment, his stuff was crap.
The only truly shining examples of weaponry in the soviet arsenal in the first year and a half of the war were the heavy tanks (KV and T-34) and the brutal but superb tommy submachine gun used by the shock and guards troops.
Old 20 May 2004, 14:53   #19
StarEye
Zone Friend

I'm hoping SharkPPC will finally go into production when OS4.0 is released, just as Elbox says on their website.
Old 20 May 2004, 20:13   #20
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarEye
I'm hoping SharkPPC will finally go into production when OS4.0 is released, just as Elbox says on their website.

Fuck does that have to do with Stalin and T-34's???