English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 09 April 2019, 11:46   #1
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

LoadState issue

As you may know I have translated to French meynaf's ST port of Sinbad.

Since meynaf has released his work, I try to debug, in context, the translation I have done.
Unfortunately, the process is slow because there are a lot of texts (and meeting people requires luck and a lot of reboot).

Since the beginning I tried to help myself with the SaveState facility of WinUAE. But bad luck as LoadState leads always to a game crash...

In the beginning I was full of enthusiasm (despite of the fact I was not able to use the LoadState function) but more time is going, more it turns to be frustrating knowing also that our spare time is not unlimited...

So Toni, could you please be of any help here to help using the LoadState facility ?

I sent you a PM with a link (since the 7z file include some stuff not to be linked here). 7z file contains the crash dump, the config, the HDF & a really rikiki video of the issue.

If you need anything else, let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by malko; 09 April 2019 at 12:23. Reason: typo
Old 10 April 2019, 16:55   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Reason was use of HDFs. They can't work with statefiles in most situations because part of HDF state is in HDF, part in memory (amigados/filesystem) and if HDF is modified after state has been loaded, restoring the state file almost certainly cause crash, sooner or later.

Directory harddrives are usually more state file compatible because almost everything is stored in host-side and there is no Amiga-side buffers that would get out of sync.
Old 10 April 2019, 19:42   #3
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

I have copied the game to a 'directory HD' and now the LOAD STATE does not leads to a game crash as soon as a click is performed in the game (just to be sure I did try LOAD STATE several times and in various places in the game - no crash at all).
So definitively the way I have to set up this game for my "in context text debugging".
This trick saves my time !

Thank you Toni
Old 17 October 2019, 00:48   #4
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Reason was use of HDFs. They can't work with statefiles in most situations because part of HDF state is in HDF, part in memory (amigados/filesystem) and if HDF is modified after state has been loaded, restoring the state file almost certainly cause crash, sooner or later.

Directory harddrives are usually more state file compatible because almost everything is stored in host-side and there is no Amiga-side buffers that would get out of sync.
Could work if the hdf is in read mode only, and still in this mode, then ??
Old 18 October 2019, 17:26   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Probably. But remember that any outside modification will make it instantly incompatible (= result is weird file system errors, crash etc..)