English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 21 September 2016, 19:12   #21
jPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
I have some old Amiga Format Cover CD with PPaint 7 (.*?) Maybe I should dust it off.
Does the latest version have any sort of RTG support?
Yes, it has had RTG support as long as I can remember. Your 7.any version should work fine on RTG too.
Old 21 September 2016, 19:31   #22
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve T View Post
As you would lock the background in dpaint, then you can paint over and delete etc, without modifying the underlying image.
Yeah this is why I would love to actually have layers on it. grafx2 is the one that handles layers.
grafx2 is available for Amiga 3.x but I never tried it: http://pulkomandy.tk/projects/GrafX2/downloads/22

[edit] tried to run grafx2 to no avail, even after downloading the required ixemul library from here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/ami....library/63.1/
It then asks for an AmiTCP: volume (???) and if I assign it anywhere the program just won't load. If anybody could make it run, let me know.

Last edited by Amiga1992; 21 September 2016 at 19:48.
Old 22 September 2016, 11:33   #23
kolla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
For me - the main difference is Dpaint has a tool box on the right side while PPaint has its on the left side. And since I am right handed and hold my mouse right from my Amiga, I always preferred DPaint. Or is it possible to choose on which side the tool box appears?
Indeed! I too find it totally awkward to navigate to the other side of the screen to pick from a tool box. I always suspected this was done solely to be "different" from DPaint.

My biggest grief with PPaint is that it is nowhere near as easy and intuitive to do animations with as DPaint is. If PPaint could implement the "move editor" of DPaint, a lot would already be done to get me over.
Old 22 September 2016, 18:25   #24
jPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolla View Post
Indeed! I too find it totally awkward to navigate to the other side of the screen to pick from a tool box. I always suspected this was done solely to be "different" from DPaint.
Well... I guess it depends where you are drawing too For a full screen picture it's as far on both sides on the average and doesn't matter.

But if I'm drawing/processing an image which is smaller than the screen (typical situation with modern monitors and their optimal resolutions), it feels intuitive for me to have the small image on upper left corner (and it also goes there automatically usually with any program), and then the tool box is close to it when it's on the left side too. It would feel awkward to me have the small picture somewhere on the right hand side or if I'd need to move/arrange it there before starting the work on it.

And most of the other programs have the toolboxes on left side, so it's consistent with other usage then too.
Old 22 September 2016, 18:43   #25
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
The image processing features of PPaint are indeed mostly useless, but on the other hand, its palette manipulations are unparalleled by any PC program.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jPV View Post
Yeah, I feel the same, when you need image processing I do it mostly on true color modes with ArtEffect on Amiga, but when I want the results to 8bit or less, then PPaint steps in.
Yep, 8-bit stuff is where PPaint's processing features excel IMHO. Works beautifully for HOL stuff here when I have the need!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigakit.com View Post
We can continue to update PPaint to incorporate features and suggestions, so please give us feedback so we can make it even better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Can you include layers like in grafx2? That would be absolutely fantastic (and a "must buy" feature). Then you don't need to lock a background, like, ever.
+1. TBH it's hard to tell from A-EON's website whether it's worth buying the upgrade. A video/tutorial demonstrating the new features might be helpful on that front.

Last edited by DH; 23 September 2016 at 15:33. Reason: Edited out non PPaint 7.3b related info
Old 23 September 2016, 15:13   #26
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
And I even didn't get an answer to my on-topc quiestion in post #3
Old 23 September 2016, 15:37   #27
Amiga1992

Boo hoo derail
We're still talking about Personal Paint, about a version available in the page linked above and even about additions that could be made to it as asked by the OP.
Perhaps if we don't talk much about 7.3b is because we don't give a shit or because information is unclear on the official page (someone asked what the changelog is and if registration makes your copy customized, nobody replied).

This is a forum and conversation is bound to flow, if you don't want people to talk about stuff in a post you make, post in a blog and disable comments.

How is talking about adding layer support to it, about where the toolbox is (and if it can be changed), comparing it to Deluxe Paint and the available 7.1c download off-topic?

[edit] I see DH felt pressured to comply with your ridiculous request. Good job censors. How are you gonna deal with this very message now, will you censor me too?

Quote:
Well... I guess it depends where you are drawing too For a full screen picture it's as far on both sides on the average and doesn't matter.
Well grafx2 has the toolbox below At first this was sacrilege! But I really got used to this.
Of course people might complain "why is it on the top?", nobody will ever be pleased
Old 23 September 2016, 17:17   #28
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
And I even didn't get an answer to my on-topc quiestion in post #3
Im sure it will get answered once we get chance to sit down read forums completely.
Old 23 September 2016, 18:54   #29
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

For layers in deluxe paint there was a dirty workaround: set an animation with a certain number of frames and lighttable transparency to 0; was a bit messy but doing the job
Old 29 September 2016, 08:27   #30
SvladJelly

Dpaint - Pressure?

My god @saimon69 - I never knew that "layers" trick! I did mostly animation, not stills in DeluxePaint though, but I doubt I would have ever thought of this!

On another note, does anyone know a Wacom tablet that actually works with DeluxePaint, or even TVPaint?

I can't currently do high color desktop modes beyond 256 anyway with TVPaint, but I'd be interested to hear if anyone can confirm any working Wacom setups that use pressure in any drawing or animation program on the Amiga.
Old 29 September 2016, 16:27   #31
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
For layers in deluxe paint there was a dirty workaround: set an animation with a certain number of frames and lighttable transparency to 0; was a bit messy but doing the job
And how do you composite whatever you do onto a single image?
Old 29 September 2016, 18:58   #32
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
And how do you composite whatever you do onto a single image?
A bit rusty not having touched DPaint for ~20 years and all, but I'm pretty sure you could copy pixels of one frame to a new brush and then paste it wherever you want.
But of course comparing to modern software where you decide how a specific layer should be blended together.. then a simple copy paste seems pretty crude...

Skickat från min HTC One via Tapatalk
Old 30 September 2016, 07:31   #33
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Background - Fix, Background - Free does the trick with single image (Deluxe paint layer)
Translucency and light table, together with Spare screen does it in anim mode.

I am not skilled in PPaint, maybe there is something similar? I am Deluxe Paint lover, have all its issues and a poster of the famous Tutankhamun is hanging in my office
Old 06 October 2016, 20:55   #34
jediknight

i use photoshop cs3 lol
Old 07 October 2016, 08:21   #35
eXeler0

This looks very usable if you wanna go down that road...

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=usaAFdGt0TM

Skickat från min HTC One via Tapatalk
Old 07 October 2016, 08:49   #36
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediknight View Post
i use photoshop cs3 lol
lol
Old 20 February 2017, 14:48   #37
Team_Hoi
Former Amiga game creator

Question

Quote:
And of course the support for PNG, GIF, JPEG, etc is mandatory nowadays, I don't remember what formats DPaint supports, but at least for me the source graphics comes usually in PNG or JPEG, and I also want to save to PNG or GIF when doing for example web graphics or any other gfx than purely for Amiga use.
Hi,

Does anyone happen to know if there's a Personal Paint version that supports saving of animated GIF? Or is there maybe a separately available converter tool for that? I'd love to be able to export or convert DPaint / PPaint IFF animations to animated GIF.

Thanks in advance!
Old 20 February 2017, 16:39   #38
Daedalus

PersonalPaint 7.1 and up includes an ARexx script for exporting an animbrush as a GIF, and includes options for frame timings, looping etc. I still use it occasionally for doing GIF animations as nothing else is as simple.
Old 20 February 2017, 17:56   #39
emufan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
PersonalPaint 7.1 and up includes an ARexx script for exporting an animbrush as a GIF, and includes options for frame timings, looping etc. I still use it occasionally for doing GIF animations as nothing else is as simple.
actually 2 scripts you have to use - click on crown icon
1) AnimGif - define anim-brush
push f9 & f10 and select the whole anim canvas
push f9 & f10 again
2) AnimGif - Save Anim-brush

----

#1) did you already tested the mac version of ffmpeg?

#2) is there an AnimPaint feature in PPaint ?

Last edited by emufan; 20 February 2017 at 18:05.
Old 20 February 2017, 18:48   #40
Team_Hoi
Former Amiga game creator

Thumbs up

Thanks guys!

I've got PPaint version 6.4, that's the last free version if I'm not mistaking. But the script makes it attractive to buy the latest version. I'll look into it.

In the mean time I've found a nice little tool at Aminet called Anim2GIF. I haven't tried it yet, but it might do the job.

Emufan, I didn't know there's an ffmpeg version for MacOS. Thanks, I'll check that out too.

As far as I know there's no animpaint function in PPaint 6.4. I'd love to use DPaint's animpainting, but I'm currently stuck due to an issue that causes the Alt key to not work simulatenously with the left mouse button in FS-UAE for MacOS. I've entered the issue in the FS-UAE bug tracker, and hope it will be fixed soon.