English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 05 June 2010, 19:21   #21
kriz

thats cool, qwak is a true Classic !!
Old 06 June 2010, 13:33   #22
jotd
This cat is no more

@Jaimie: thanks, now sorted out and reached the final boss of the Aztec level (lost there!)

I must say this game is really awesome, with good level design which allows to sometimes quit the level in panic, and on next games, when you're more skilled on this particular level and you learned the mechanics, try to reach more bonuses/lose less energy/eggs.

The parts where I "cheat" is that when I get the "baddies get revenge" chore in the hardest levels (egypt/forest/aztec) I tend to suicide because it costs so many eggs to kill them that it's better to lose a life.
Another annoying thing is that when you have 0 eggs and you lose a life, you restart with 20 eggs, which is definitely not enough for most forest/aztec levels.

Having said that, the game (PC version) is extremely well done and addictive, with an excellent difficulty curve & longevity: a must play!
Old 08 June 2010, 01:18   #23
qwak
Game Developer

Send a message via MSN to qwak
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriz View Post
thats cool, qwak is a true Classic !!
Thank you! I'm just hoping it isn't too hard for iPhone gamers!
Old 08 June 2010, 01:26   #24
qwak
Game Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
@Jaimie: thanks, now sorted out and reached the final boss of the Aztec level (lost there!)
Super cool! Those boss levels get a bit tricky huh?! You need all your ninja skills to get past em..

Quote:
I must say this game is really awesome, with good level design which allows to sometimes quit the level in panic, and on next games, when you're more skilled on this particular level and you learned the mechanics, try to reach more bonuses/lose less energy/eggs.

The parts where I "cheat" is that when I get the "baddies get revenge" chore in the hardest levels (egypt/forest/aztec) I tend to suicide because it costs so many eggs to kill them that it's better to lose a life.
Another annoying thing is that when you have 0 eggs and you lose a life, you restart with 20 eggs, which is definitely not enough for most forest/aztec levels.

Having said that, the game (PC version) is extremely well done and addictive, with an excellent difficulty curve & longevity: a must play!
Thank you!

I play tested it quite a bit myself, and I feel it's fairly good, and balanced in terms of the game-play mechanics. That said, I can also see it's not quite right in some ways (like if you run out of eggs, you're kinda screwed!). I also panic a bit, that it's going to be too difficult for most people, but then, maybe I'm worrying over nothing there...

There's a lot about the game, I think could be better, and I'm half tempted to do a spin off game, with quite different mechanics. It will be even more awesome and fun; and probably with a more gentle difficulty curve, but still with lots of additional tasks and extra stuff you can do on levels for mega points etc.

Hope people buy it on the AppStore, I hear it's pretty easy to get swamped and lost in the loads of games that get released each day (like 80 games a day or something silly). Also, it's not always the decent games that sell! Ah well, onwards and upwards.
Old 08 June 2010, 04:57   #25
Hewitson

Who composed the music for the Amiga version of Qwak? I've always loved it.
Old 08 June 2010, 08:42   #26
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Who composed the music for the Amiga version of Qwak?
http://hol.abime.net/2272
Allister Brimble (The Demon)
Bjørn Lynne (Bjorn; Dr. Awesome/Crusaders)
Old 08 June 2010, 14:05   #27
qwak
Game Developer

Wooo! Break open the champagne!...

http://bit.ly/qwakappstore

Enjoy! :-)

Please remember to rate and leave a review on the AppStore (if you buy the game), and also, if you want to pass any comments or feedback to me too, that would be awesome and very useful.
Old 08 June 2010, 17:08   #28
BrooksterMax

Hi there, I remember the original and purchased it all those years ago. Have you made a "Lite" version so we can try a "demo"?
Old 08 June 2010, 19:49   #29
Sledge/FLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksterMax View Post
Hi there, I remember the original and purchased it all those years ago. Have you made a "Lite" version so we can try a "demo"?

Try a demo? This is no game that you should live without you know... Buy it, coz you'll like it!
Old 08 June 2010, 19:54   #30
Sledge/FLT

btw... I bought it just about right now on appstore
Old 08 June 2010, 21:35   #31
jotd
This cat is no more

@qwak: actually the boss levels are kind of easy when you have the right technique (egypt stage and works even above)
Destroy most of the vanishing tiles and the blue monsters will be stuck just in front of you at the bottom left or right of the screen. Then shoot as fast as you can and you have some extra seconds to collect the loot.
Without that trick, the egypt level guardian stage is reaaaaally hard.

I don't have an iphone just a lousy ipod so I wish you good luck with your app.
(but I already bought it for the Amiga, for the GBA and for the PC!)
Old 09 June 2010, 00:52   #32
qwak
Game Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledge/FLT View Post
btw... I bought it just about right now on appstore
Wooo hooo! That's great thanks.

Let us know how you get on with it, thoughts on the contols and difficuty etc..

Have fun!
Old 09 June 2010, 00:54   #33
qwak
Game Developer

Quote:
@qwak: actually the boss levels are kind of easy when you have the right technique (egypt stage and works even above)
Destroy most of the vanishing tiles and the blue monsters will be stuck just in front of you at the bottom left or right of the screen. Then shoot as fast as you can and you have some extra seconds to collect the loot.
Without that trick, the egypt level guardian stage is reaaaaally hard.

I don't have an iphone just a lousy ipod so I wish you good luck with your app.
(but I already bought it for the Amiga, for the GBA and for the PC!)
Yeah, definitely using the crumble tiles helps you get past the boss levels. You must be close to wrapping the game?

No worries, will let you as you don't have an iPhone!
Old 09 June 2010, 07:17   #34
Sledge/FLT

Hoho... I even bought it for my Mac now too
Old 09 June 2010, 09:43   #35
Vairn
The Grim-Button

Had so much fun with this game as a kid.

I bought and played this on my ipad too, looks sweet, will there be an Ipad version, so it isn't pixel doubled?
Old 09 June 2010, 10:45   #36
BrooksterMax

I think a demo may be helpful to those were not familiar with the original.

However I did buy it last night and musically it certainly has the feel of an Amiga title.

I have only tried the tutorial so far, the controls seem responsive. I am getting used to the fact that your thumbs can cover up some of the gaming action particularly when you are dropping down platforms. I think that is the only drawback so far but it does work well all things considered.
Old 09 June 2010, 22:22   #37
jotd
This cat is no more

@qwak yes I have wrapped the game. Now all levels are unlocked and I can play any of them. Cool.
Ok back to some more serious stuff now
Old 09 June 2010, 23:00   #38
MethodGit

Nice to see it out, though I'm personally a bit aggrieved by its supposed minimum requirement of iOS 3.1.2 - I've been mainly trying to avoid changing the firmware on the Touch I use as I kind of share it with my mother!

Also, is its release the reason why you took the GBA download off? That was pretty short-lived I must say.
Old 09 June 2010, 23:39   #39
fiath

Superb. I've waiting for this game ever since Touch Arcade mentioned it a month or so back. I remember it on the miggy, and I think I remember playing the demo, but not much more. Will be great to see it on my iPod Touch, well done!
Old 09 June 2010, 23:40   #40
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

"me wonders if the level formats of this version would be compatible with the Amiga version"....... hmmmm.....