English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 12 November 2018, 07:19   #21
ubermick

I already have WHDload - my A1200 has a CF drive, a Blizzard 1230 with 128mb and FPU, and an Indivision Mk2. I just want the floppy access for nostalgia's sake.
Old 12 November 2018, 10:03   #22
jpm2901

I use a Gotek on df1 with a 32gb usb pen and transfer directly to df0 using X-Copy (on the nibble setting not the dos setting).works very well and tells me if there are errors during the copy process on the fly...

Old 12 November 2018, 13:10   #23
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpm2901 View Post
I use a Gotek on df1 with a 32gb usb pen and transfer directly to df0 using X-Copy (on the nibble setting not the dos setting).works very well and tells me if there are errors during the copy process on the fly...
Similar to what I do except I go from DF0 to DF1. Does nibblecopy offer any advantage over Doscopy? I thought nibble was for protected disks?
Old 12 November 2018, 13:25   #24
Hewitson

Agree with jotd. Many of these games you are attempting to write back to disk, will probably not actually work on the A1200.

I suggest getting at least a ram expansion, to open up the possibility of using WHDLoad.
Old 12 November 2018, 13:34   #25
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildW View Post
WHDLoad will run some games on a stock 1200, usually if they came on a single floppy, but you're right that generally you need at least more memory. In the past I had a 4MB expansion and could run just about everything. Faster CPU is not a necessity.
I can only find 8MB and it's nearly £100
Old 12 November 2018, 14:47   #26
Daedalus

Welcome to the Amiga hobby world.
Old 12 November 2018, 17:02   #27
Peter
Still an Amiga user

I often like to play a game from floppy (ok I use WinUAE so it's not a 100% retro experience) it's great to see a cracktro and to play the games that WHDLoad just doesn't like.
Old 12 November 2018, 17:24   #28
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Similar to what I do except I go from DF0 to DF1. Does nibblecopy offer any advantage over Doscopy? I thought nibble was for protected disks?
True, no point in using nibble copy for cracked games since they are always DOS disks.

TSGUI has always worked fine for me as well but as others have pointed out, many games will not run properly on an A1200 without some sort of degrader or Relokick 1.3/1.4. Since the write process is less successful on your internal drive, it is probably faulty/dirty which will obviously also affect booting the disks that were successfully written with the external drive.

Notice that most games will not work when booting off DF1, so you will need a properly working internal drive.
Old 13 November 2018, 06:59   #29
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

I have the same problem on the Amiga with floppy disks. Almost all old ones don't work anymore, and writing ADFs with transdisk sometimes works, sometimes it doesn't. It's horrible.

Strangely enough I almost never had any problems on the C64 with my old floppies or writing new stuff on these.
Old 18 November 2018, 21:56   #30
ubermick

Took the drive apart and gave it a cleaning - carefully swabbing the heads with pure isopropyl alcohol, cleaning the old lubricant off the worm drive and replacing it with some high quality axle grease I use on my motorbike. Meanwhile sniffed around on ebay and snagged some NOS floppies, making sure I got ones that were still sealed in their cellophane. (Went a bit mad there, hundred bucks later I ended up with 13 10-packs!)

Success rate is far better now. The two test AFDs I was using - Chuck Rock and First Samurai - worked right away. (Full disclosure though, I downloaded the AGA fixed First Samurai version, rather than faff about with Relokick on that).

One thing, all the floppies had to be formatted prior to use - even selecting the "format while writing" option on TSGUI didn't work, got cylinder errors immediately. Formatting the disk first, and it sailed through. After comparing both, ADFer will be my go-to for doing this. Seems much quicker, and I like that it writes the ADF to disk and then goes back and verifies afterwards - fair play to Daedalus for that, lovely bit of software there.

One thing I am noticing - none of the games I've tried recognize DF1. Chuck Rock and First Samurai both ask for disk 2 in DF0?
Old 18 November 2018, 22:08   #31
demolition
Unregistered User

It seems to me that TSGUI doesn't format the disk if you have the verify option enabled as well. The writing goes exactly as fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubermick View Post
One thing I am noticing - none of the games I've tried recognize DF1. Chuck Rock and First Samurai both ask for disk 2 in DF0?
Many games were only designed for using DF0 so this is just how it is. Some games would not even start if you had DF1 enabled since each enabled floppy drive would use a bit of memory.
Old 19 November 2018, 01:34   #32
B14ck W01f
m68k all the way

I just use CrossDOS to transfer the disks between my PC and A1200, then use ADF2Disk to burn that onto floppy. Much more time is needed when I have to zip up the disks due to them exceeding 720K.
Old 19 November 2018, 02:42   #33
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by B14ck W01f View Post
I just use CrossDOS to transfer the disks between my PC and A1200, then use ADF2Disk to burn that onto floppy. Much more time is needed when I have to zip up the disks due to them exceeding 720K.
Why not use Tequila... you should enough ram to even write over the PC dos disk if you fancy. It supports compression too...
Old 22 November 2018, 22:39   #34
B14ck W01f
m68k all the way

Quote:
Why not use Tequila... you should enough ram to even write over the PC dos disk if you fancy. It supports compression too...
Because I never even heard of it...
Old 22 November 2018, 22:40   #35
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by B14ck W01f View Post
Because I never even heard of it...
Now you have lol. Check it out. It's on Aminet
Old 23 November 2018, 01:07   #36
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Now you have lol. Check it out. It's on Aminet
With "Tequila" you will not find anything because it's called "Tequilla"
Old 23 November 2018, 01:47   #37
lesta_smsc

Lol thank you for the correction
Old 23 November 2018, 01:58   #38
scuzz

Hi

I haven't read all the thread but what I would be doing is trying to find out if the floppy was working. So I would use ADFBlitzer and only ADFBlitzer and get a game or disk that I knew was working without fault [ if you don't have one go buy one ] and make sure it can be copied. [ loads of games have copy protection and wont let you copy ]... then I would ADFBlitz the thing and see if that worked.

I would be copying stuff using DOpus and unpacking LHA files and just get to the bottom of whether the drive was working properly. I would also chuck any disk that was causing probs out the door. It is very useful having other Amigas cus they can really help. I have a 500 set up next to my 4000 cus disks just don't work on the 4000 or 1200. They write boot blockers on disks and the 500 needs to read them. So if it don't work on the 4000 it'll probably work on the 500. I also have disks that will only work on the 1000.

I also would avoid the ZIP decompress on the Amiga. Try and get an ADF or LHA etc onto a CD or disk and use CrossDOS with Dopus or maybe use DecrunchDeface which I use at various times.

First though I would want to check if the drive is working. Just check some disks using Disksalv and see if it craps out. At the moment you have a problem and you have to resolve exactly where it is. So get a disk that you know works and that can be copied. Blitz it and take it from there. Also use things like ARestaure and check over the contents of disks it'll soon tell you if the drive is busted.

I think the old formatting is a red herring by the way. Not sure what that's about. Shouldn't be a problem.

scuzz
http://www.scuzzscink.com/amiga/scuzzblog.htm