English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.CD32 Conversion

Old 01 February 2016, 02:31   #241
Retro1234
Bo Bo

Test Without Fast Ram

Ive got 32mb but they loaded very fast - ill have to test on my A600 2mb chip but it looks like there will be no OS flashing
ill just try disabling my fast ram on 1200 -

just tried Turrican 3 no Fast Ram and no OS flashing - have to think what game would be a realy good test subject?

Just tried Gods normaly has qute a bit of OS flashing without fast Ram Loaded fast without OS flashing looking good - had small control problem have to do some proper testing tomorrow

Last edited by Retro1234; 01 February 2016 at 03:23.
Old 01 February 2016, 04:34   #242
earok

I'm having some problems with keyboard mapping on real hardware that doesn't appear to be present in the emulator. In particular with Zeewolf, gamepad mapping is perfect in emulator but intermittent on real console (double tapping is required for most button functions).

Here's an additional curious thing about Zeewolf - fire button appears to be intermittent, even though it's not a keyboard mapping.

This doesn't appear to be an issue with some other games I've tried on real hardware (example - Apocalypse works beautifully, gamepad mapping never fails).

I'm not sure if it's any changes I've made myself that have messed things up. also I haven't yet tried nocache or novbrmove
Old 01 February 2016, 07:04   #243
Retro1234
Bo Bo

Gods is giving some auto fire for some reason worse with fast Ram disabled? Ill have to test Nocache and other parameters.
Old 01 February 2016, 11:08   #244
earok

I found this out from my experiments with Zeewolf on real CD32 -

The real Red button seems to become intermittent if JoyPad is set to anything other than 0. Even if you have Joypad=1 (so only mouse port is being read by it), the red button on the gamepad port becomes intermittent. Joypad=0 seems to work just fine.

Any thoughts..?
Old 01 February 2016, 14:34   #245
SolderPCB

does the same directory limitation apply when using IDEHD?
Old 01 February 2016, 22:55   #246
jotd
This cat is no more

@earok: CD32Load never flashes. OS flashes are just not implemented in CD32Load

@earok: I think that RN CD routine can also read/write NVM! I have to test that. Maybe it's even used in James Pond 3.

@earok: maybe you could burn each release of cd32load (for games which worked from the start like Assassin or Pang) and check if the button read bug is present from the start or if you broke something with your VK stuff which I doubt since you can disable it. On WinUAE it works 100% fine, but I never tested on real HW. Will do soon.
And if it's only on some games, not all of them, so that's not completely a failure.
I think the "autofire" bug comes from the fact that we write on CIAPRA when we read the joypad. If Gods game (what a good game ) reads joystick in VBLank then it's read just after CIAPRA has been cleared by CD32Load and there could be problems. (That gives me an idea that could fix this)

NOVBRMOVE will fix this as surely as JOYPAD=0, but you won't have joypad=>key redirection...
The fact that the bug is more frequent on fast machines is a clue on something done wrong. That's a hope for a fix sometime...

@solderPCB: I don't know about the directory limitation on a HDD. Much easier to test. I just know that it only works with OFS/FFS and standard IDE. Forget SFS & CF card & SCSI.

Last edited by jotd; 01 February 2016 at 23:01.
Old 01 February 2016, 23:29   #247
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

The effort to get Gods to work is commendable but entirely useless, a working version exists, efforts would be better spent on others not working IMHO
Old 01 February 2016, 23:37   #248
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
I just know that it only works with OFS/FFS and standard IDE. Forget SFS & CF card & SCSI.
Oooh I have PFS3AIO
Old 02 February 2016, 00:30   #249
earok

@Galahad Boo Boo's intention is to play it on a hard drive equipped A1200, is it possible to run your CD32 port from a hard drive..?

@JOTD I've been thinking about an issue we had with Street Fighter 2 that's only present on real hardware, it doesn't like CD32 pads much - it won't read the fire button. The game writes to the POTGO, including the first bit - Tony Wilen suggested doing a hex edit to the POTGO move so it doesn't write the bottom bit and that seemed to resolve it.

If it's any interest, I just tried Zeewolf (without mapping disabled) on a PSX-adapter controller in one button and two button mode, in both of them RED worked just fine (BLUE worked in two button mode but had some weird effects - it activated escape even though it's default mapped to space :S)
Old 02 February 2016, 01:35   #250
Psygore

TypeMPathTable and PathTableSize are from the iso 9660 structure (see the primary volume descriptor).

Attached my cd32 file-loader: you can set the cd speed, read file with size/offset, and doesn't use A5/A6 registers, enjoy.

Last edited by Psygore; 12 February 2016 at 20:27.
Old 02 February 2016, 13:19   #251
earok

@psygore Looks extremely promising

@jotd I have some interesting news to report in regards to Zeewolf. The game moves "cc00" into the POTGO, just NOP'ing it out in the Disk Image seemed to resolve the issues with joystick control. I know it's not a "proper" way of fixing the issue, but it seems to work and I was able to play for about an hour without issues.
Old 02 February 2016, 21:24   #252
Amigajay
醉拳

Is there a list of keyboard commands anywhere?
Edit; its ok i found them here if anyone else needs them.

Also i cant get the virtual keyboard to display using the vb command, can someone show me the correct format to type in the startup sequence please.

Last edited by Amigajay; 02 February 2016 at 23:01.
Old 02 February 2016, 22:15   #253
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by earok View Post
@Galahad Boo Boo's intention is to play it on a hard drive equipped A1200, is it possible to run your CD32 port from a hard drive..?

@JOTD I've been thinking about an issue we had with Street Fighter 2 that's only present on real hardware, it doesn't like CD32 pads much - it won't read the fire button. The game writes to the POTGO, including the first bit - Tony Wilen suggested doing a hex edit to the POTGO move so it doesn't write the bottom bit and that seemed to resolve it.

If it's any interest, I just tried Zeewolf (without mapping disabled) on a PSX-adapter controller in one button and two button mode, in both of them RED worked just fine (BLUE worked in two button mode but had some weird effects - it activated escape even though it's default mapped to space :S)
My version of Gods does indeed work on a plain 2meg chip ram A1200 with hard drive

It will load on any accessible AmigaDOS compatible device.
Old 02 February 2016, 23:17   #254
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
My version of Gods does indeed work on a plain 2meg chip ram A1200 with hard drive

It will load on any accessible AmigaDOS compatible device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
Is there a list of keyboard commands anywhere?
Edit; its ok i found them here if anyone else needs them.

Also i cant get the virtual keyboard to display using the vb command, can someone show me the correct format to type in the startup sequence please.
I use WHDLoad's rawkey codes page - http://whdload.de/docs/en/rawkey.html

Virtual Keyboard doesn't seem to work that well on real hardware yet, I need to make a few more tweaks to it. In any case there's nothing to "display", it merely enters characters (like an arcade high score system). If you're on a screen where you can enter text, you should see an "A" as soon as you activate it, and then can use a dpad to enter the rest of the characters.

If you set "vk=$11" on the command line, it'll map the virtual keyboard to the play button.

Last edited by earok; 02 February 2016 at 23:24.
Old 02 February 2016, 23:32   #255
Amigajay
醉拳

Ok thanks, will have a look a little later.
Old 03 February 2016, 00:07   #256
jotd
This cat is no more

Galahad: Gods is just a slave among dozens. It just works on CD32Load without any extra work.
Making more and more slaves work allow more and more slaves to work, that's all.

@earok: ok well done for zeewolf, but that'll take forever to patch all the games to suit CD32Load needs. I have another idea that I'll try later.

@psygore: you did that yourself? great. Will check that later and will adapt to my proggy. Hopefully this will allow to run games impossible to run now because of diskimage size + memory requirements.
Is there a reason why you never provide source for your work, installs & other?
Old 03 February 2016, 01:10   #257
Amigajay
醉拳

Quote:

Virtual Keyboard doesn't seem to work that well on real hardware yet, I need to make a few more tweaks to it. In any case there's nothing to "display", it merely enters characters (like an arcade high score system). If you're on a screen where you can enter text, you should see an "A" as soon as you activate it, and then can use a dpad to enter the rest of the characters.

If you set "vk=$11" on the command line, it'll map the virtual keyboard to the play button.
Im using play as pause, so i changed it to $12 but cd32load failed, so atm ive left it out whilst i sort the other buttons first.

The other buttons work great bar setting the cursor keys to the pad, they work once and freeze, if i press the cursors again on my keyboard they work again but obviously thats no good once on the cd32 without keyboard! Is this a known problem?
Old 03 February 2016, 01:13   #258
earok

Quote:
Im using play as pause, so i changed it to $12 but cd32load failed, so atm ive left it out whilst i sort the other buttons first.

The other buttons work great bar setting the cursor keys to the pad, they work once and freeze, if i press the cursors again on my keyboard they work again but obviously thats no good once on the cd32 without keyboard! Is this a known problem?
Ah, that may be the root cause of my virtual keyboard troubles! I can take a closer look at it.

Does it freeze on WinUAE or just real hardware? If WinUAE, what version are you using?

What game are you using to test with?
Old 03 February 2016, 01:17   #259
Amigajay
醉拳

Quote:
Ah, that may be the root cause of my virtual keyboard troubles! I can take a closer look at it.

Does it freeze on WinUAE or just real hardware? If WinUAE, what version are you using?

What game are you using to test with?
All tested on Winuae atm, on my ipad atm, its a pretty old version tbh The game is Hunter, want to map the zoom in and out from the cursor keys to the shoulder buttons, but as i say they freeze after pressed once.
Old 03 February 2016, 01:27   #260
earok

Quote:
All tested on Winuae atm, on my ipad atm, its a pretty old version tbh The game is Hunter, want to map the zoom in and out from the cursor keys to the shoulder buttons, but as i say they freeze after pressed once.
Let me know when you find the exact version, I'm not having issues like that emulated but I am on real hardware.

Are you tapping or long-holding the buttons?

Edit: Have you tried mapping them to something other than shoulders, say green and yellow? Also which version of CD32load are you using?