English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 07 March 2009, 22:47   #1
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

Try this People

Someone give this a try will ya ????
This is kind of the very very lite version.... ( Been so busy i rushed it ) Just want to see if its any good really and worth expanding on. Games included are all legal.

Kind of takes the fun out of it really but still The 4 gig version will be better

Feedback Appreciated !! BTW....I know its nothing special or new !!

[URL removed due to KS ROMs - Graham]

Last edited by Graham Humphrey; 11 March 2009 at 13:07.
Old 08 March 2009, 04:20   #2
skateblind
Village Idiot

So you have bunched other peoples hard work into one pack and now expect to get donations?
Old 08 March 2009, 08:34   #3
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by skateblind View Post
So you have bunched other peoples hard work into one pack and now expect to get donations?
Well no not exactly !!

I have spent a lot of time creating menus, an installer, website, putting the whole thing together then giving it away free to some plank like you !!

The site says exactly what it is !!

"Emulation Station is one single installation of the very best
Emulators available. Most are ready to run and include the
games that are freeware and Public Domain. You are able
to add games or roms to expand your personal collection "

Donations are for appreciation not mandatory. "Funny how both my " Tribute to the Amiga " dvd's went down so well but that may be because i spent hours making them and posting hundreds to people at my own expense !!

The full version of this is over 4 gig and i cant afford to do that anymore so i thought donations might help.

But why would you give a shit !!

No problem il take it down !!
Old 08 March 2009, 11:16   #4
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Put it back up Synchro if skateblind isn`t interested i am.
Old 08 March 2009, 11:21   #5
DoogUK
Doogster

It's a good idea.....put it back up.

I've downloaded it and will try it later and give you my input
Old 08 March 2009, 11:23   #6
Bloodwych

I'll try it too!

As I said before, it's a great idea!
Old 08 March 2009, 11:29   #7
PWLM
He found it at the zoo..

Please put it back up, I like the idea of 1 prog to do the lot. Have a heart!
Old 08 March 2009, 11:44   #8
Ironclaw
Banned

Donations are for appreciation not mandatory.

Hmmm.... I'm in a similar situation, sort of... I program games... and got several I would like to do... like the Monkey Island - Bar game (will be totally awesome).... but lack the motivation as I gain nothing on making it... as I need to spend ALOT of time ripping, coding, putting it all together. As it's not my graphics, nor sound and music, it's illegal to charge anything.... I've heard I can't even have banners on the page, if the game on that page has borrowed stuff... not even a donations button ...

What would you people's thoughts be on this? Could it be ok to have a donations button and maybe banners on a page with games I've created using other peoples gfx and sfx?.... I mean, I do not CHARGE anyone for playing, it's free ofc, but I only hope to get some "appriciation" sent my way .
Old 08 March 2009, 11:49   #9
PWLM
He found it at the zoo..

That's a really good question... I would imagine if the original creator's copyright still existed, you could be seen as making money off someone else's material. Personally I wouldn't have a problem with it but it would be wise to maybe ask a friend who knows something about it. Have you researched whether companies/programmers still hold copyright? If the company has gone defunct I think it would depend on the copyright property ie, held by a defunct company OR an individual who could still potentially come after you.
Old 08 March 2009, 11:53   #10
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

I think it's a good and fair idea to have a donations button IC I think the problem with the direct donation button on the game page could be resolved by a link to an info page about your work and placing the button there. It's still quite obvious, but not that much
Old 08 March 2009, 12:05   #11
Bloodwych

I can't see any problems with a donation button? AmigaSYS and Amikitt both use donation buttons and no one is bothered? They too contain other peoples work.

It's completely voluntary if anyone wants to donate and I'm sure the launcher itself is 100% free without donation nagging screens popping up etc.

Plus Synchro has put in a lot of his own time getting this all together for us. The donation could be just to cover bandwidth and hosting costs for all we know! If people want to thank him for that with a donation, that's their business.
Old 08 March 2009, 12:09   #12
Ironclaw
Banned

Lucas Arts are still active and stuff, if they wanted to they could easily sue me if even a cent was made from their work......but yeah.... just using their gfx and sfx is a violitation in itself without any money being made....

dilemma......
Old 08 March 2009, 12:11   #13
Skope
Protracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironclaw View Post
What would you people's thoughts be on this? Could it be ok to have a donations button and maybe banners on a page with games I've created using other peoples gfx and sfx?.... I mean, I do not CHARGE anyone for playing, it's free ofc, but I only hope to get some "appriciation" sent my way .
I regard that as a variant of sampling, and in my book that is totally ok! It's one thing to rip graphics and say that YOU made it, but since this is not the case I don't think there's any thievery to speak of. The game itself is old enough to have fallen into the abandonware category already anyway methinks, and I don't think you'd even get as much as a grumpy email from the original makers.

Something new from something old.

Edit: And besides you could always email them and tell them a little about your hobbyproject and ask if it's ok with them to use their old material. Could be worth to note that the original game is 20 years old now.
Old 08 March 2009, 12:13   #14
PWLM
He found it at the zoo..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironclaw View Post
Lucas Arts are still active and stuff, if they wanted to they could easily sue me if even a cent was made from their work......but yeah.... just using their gfx and sfx is a violitation in itself without any money being made....

dilemma......
I understand IC, it's one thing to do it for the love of it, but noone wants to work for free...
Old 08 March 2009, 12:18   #15
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skope View Post
The game itself is old enough to have fallen into the abandonware category already anyway methinks, and I don't think you'd even get as much as a grumpy email from the original makers.
We're talking about LucasArts here They are still quite active to sue people who make their 'abandonware' stuff available. I would like to see the game and given that it's basically free, it might be okay. Guess it's worth a try
Old 08 March 2009, 12:26   #16
Ironclaw
Banned

Just afraid if I did send them an email asking for permission, they might say no.. then it would absolutely be NAY to making it.

Quote:
it might be okay. Guess it's worth a try
Nope... nothing is "worth" a try when a sue could come around the courner someday.
Old 08 March 2009, 12:30   #17
PWLM
He found it at the zoo..

Also some other companies may still own the copyrights from now deceased companies as well. You're right IC, not worth it to get into legal trouble, on the other hand it is always worth an ask. Maybe you'll get some support from unkown places? You never never know if you never never go...
Old 08 March 2009, 12:43   #18
PWLM
He found it at the zoo..

Sorry synchro, I was specifically talking about IC's posts in my reply there. Still want to see your proggy, is the link useable yet?
Old 08 March 2009, 12:43   #19
Ironclaw
Banned

Ok, decided to email lucasarts/lucasfilm... but can't find an email address anywhere...... some help?
Old 08 March 2009, 12:48   #20
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

http://www.lucasarts.com/international/index.html?con=2

Seems like you have to email Activision.