English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 27 March 2008, 17:15   #21
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Alexh

shit, could you imagine the f*cking buzz if it turned out KS3.0 was indeed free?!

... no i must stop.... my hopes are just above sea-level as it is.... sheesh...
Old 27 March 2008, 17:23   #22
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

As far as I am concerned, they are all free ;-)

These are not world wide copyrights though, just USA
Old 27 March 2008, 17:27   #23
Siggy999

I wish that interpretation were right, and that some crucial failure meant it was 'free as in free at last, good God almighty free at last' - it would make it a lot easier for a lot of people.

On a related note - there's a LOT of 3.1 roms turning up on Ebay from just one or two sellers.... makes me wonder if someone's got themselves a lil burning action going on there.

Not that I cared - I bought one anyways... If I ask no questions I'm told no lies.
Old 27 March 2008, 17:35   #24
Siggy999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
@Siggy99

Hello there,

Welcome to the EAB, theres plenty of mischief to get up to around here, so kick back and make yourself comfy and enjoy the honey coated retr0-ness that this fair board provides...

although in retrospect, as much as i could wish that KS 3.x was free from AI's tyranny this is not so...

but i can dream, and i can wish... and I would absolutely die laughing if they lost the bit of paper, (and were not clever enough to knock up a new one lol)
Thankya - I've been lurking a few weeks - just got back to the Ami after a 10 year hiatus due to a lucky break on ebay
Old 27 March 2008, 18:03   #25
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Remember that KS3.1 is post Commodore.

It was published by VillageTronic
The standalone versions were post-Commodore, but KS 3.1 was present in the limited number of A4000Ts (V40.70) that C= produced in the U.S. and Europe before they went bust in '94. Interestingly, Greg Donner's webpage also suggests that some CD32s were equipped with KS 3.1 (V40.56-V40.60) too, which is something I didn't know:

http://gregdonner.org/workbench/wb_31.html

Anyway, this thread is all moot and an old post of mine explains why:

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=345959&postcount=18

Now that Acer owns Gateway, presumably they own the patents to all Amiga IP (including the KS roms) and AI's license to them from Gateway is still good.

Last edited by DrBong; 27 March 2008 at 19:05. Reason: Fixed typo
Old 27 March 2008, 18:34   #26
Eclipse
Turpentine

The thing is looking at it now, sadly the Amiga name got treated like the office bike when they went belly up.
I agree it is a moot point, but unless people are willing to either fight to get the truth or test them we will never know.
I truly believe that Amiga Inc do not have the copyright for KS3.X.

The topic is an old one, I just feel strongly about it. This has been discussed a million times before so I'd like to let the thread die. I will say that I will continue to seek the truth and I will be writing to Amiga Inc.

Last edited by Eclipse; 27 March 2008 at 18:41.
Old 27 March 2008, 22:47   #27
Siggy999

One way to find out for certain would be to challenge them.

(obligatory - I AM NOT A LAWYER.. )

I *THINK* these things are supposed to be public record - so you should be able to request it from them. If they refuse to give documented proof you could always inform them (in a cordial and polite manner) that you will be releasing a product that includes KS 3.1 (I dunno - A Linux UAE complilation or something). I'm sure if they own the copyright they'll be more than happy under those circumstances to prove it

I am, however, 90% sure that when they bought the name, company, IP, that was all in there.

And what if it wasn't? You have to find out where the copyright reverts to... the original programmers? Whatever parts of the company that are left and owned by others.. So even if they don't own it (which is unlikely) you'll still have to find out who does.

I think it's good that someone out there is questioning these things - if you hit the lucky 10% and you're right - fantastic... if not, at least you tried..
Old 27 March 2008, 23:40   #28
Eclipse
Turpentine

Last post,
Thanks Siggy.
Acer own Gateway now don't they?