English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 19 November 2013, 23:44   #21
lukassid

Exactly. Amiga was powerfull at the time. AmigaOne cost nearly £2000 and it's as powerfull as your mobile phone. £100 celeron board is 20 times faster. Pointless excercise in my opinion. But hey if someone got money to burn than it can be fun. I understand where people coming from. You get A4000, than you get PPC board then you want more power and ending up buying one of those semi modern "Amiga's"
WiiU is probably last commercially sold machine to use PPC. This stuff will be even more expensive in the future. Release os5 for x86 Hyperion will ya? What is the point making os for low end computers with high end prices. Battle is lost. X86 won and there is nothing we can do.
Old 20 November 2013, 00:12   #22
amigakit.com

@lifeschool

Quote:
Can you compose music on it using Trackers or Composers?
Theres a new enhanced native port of Bars & Pipes for AmigaOS 4.1: http://www.os4depot.net/filedata/sna...006_1_snap.png

Classic programmes such as Octamed should work fine too.

Quote:
Can you draw and animate with DPaint or an equivalent?
Yes classic drawing packages such as PPaint and TV Paint both work.

Quote:
basic word processor
Libre Office for AmigaOS is coming along very nicely. Abiword is a popular word processor. Classic programmes such as Wordworth and Final Writer both work.
Old 20 November 2013, 02:06   #23
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigakit.com View Post
@lifeschool
Libre Office for AmigaOS is coming along very nicely.
Are you kidding? Nicely? It is being anounced since it was called Open Office (many years ago), and yet nothing significant has happened.

OS4 is a gimmick of what Amiga ever was (it is full of unoriginal non native ports and uses an emulator to run most native Amiga software (and then it fails on many programs). My Windows PC with WinUAE is more Amiga-like than that.

And lets not speak about an AmigaOne, because that is a dull PPC motherboard that has nothing to do with an Amiga. It is just severely overpriced with a cpu that has been dead on the desktop for many years.
Old 20 November 2013, 06:24   #24
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by imigger View Post
save this utter nonsense for amigaworld ,this is the real amiga forum .
Save that trolly attitude for amiga.org, this place is friendly and tolerant of all spectrums of amiga fetish.
Old 20 November 2013, 07:13   #25
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson View Post
this place is friendly and tolerant of all spectrums of amiga fetish.
Certainly doesnt seem that way from this thread
Old 20 November 2013, 07:34   #26
klx300r

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI View Post
+1, I love using my favourite OS as my main computer at home along side my classics. Kudos to ACube & A-Eon for giving us a choice of hardware today as it's just amazing seeing OS4.1 moving up steadily to 4.2. Lots of stuff happening with the modern AmigaOS and classic stuff so lots to be happy about being an Amiga user today
Old 21 November 2013, 01:34   #27
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI View Post
Yeah, you're right. I should have kept my big mouth shut, but of course I didn't I do it time and time again about exactly the same topic
Old 21 November 2013, 06:35   #28
NovaCoder

I'm not really into NG stuff but if people get enjoyment out of them then that's a good thing
Old 21 November 2013, 13:18   #29
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
Yeah, you're right. I should have kept my big mouth shut, but of course I didn't I do it time and time again about exactly the same topic
Seems, you jumped the gun. Remember alot of english words / sayings have more than one meaning. Hence its the hardest language to learn or one of (best not mention any facts, ).

I often use "FACT IS". Doesn't mean Im saying its factual.
You could have just asked instead of steaming in.

Now lets get factual,
FACT IS, I agree with alot of classic people as I am a classic person at heart.

Could throw in another FACT, you have never used the machine, yet you comment like you own one and hate it.

I do personally think the X1000 is a nice machine (HARDWARE WISE), as I have setup every single X1000 sold. I think the machine looks stunning, trying to keep with true classic look.

Nice to see another thread is destroyed.
Old 21 November 2013, 14:46   #30
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Could throw in another FACT, you have never used the machine, yet you comment like you own one and hate it.
I don't hate the machine, I just don't care for it, which is another reason for me to stop posting useless opinions about it.
Old 21 November 2013, 14:50   #31
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
I don't hate the machine, I just don't care for it, which is another reason for me to stop posting useless opinions about it.
Not a problem, I will have to remember in future to avoid the words "fact is" as they were obviously taken a way I never even thought it would be.
Old 21 November 2013, 19:41   #32
imigger
Banned

I would have 1 if they ported everything over to work on the new spec so its as good but faster ,im not saying there crap I just think its a lot of money for hardly any new software.

if they kept making advances in the paint programs with all that new speed and video editing with all that speed , everyone would go and get 1 ,because theyamiga was the video titler of the world at 1 point, and babalon5 was made on amigas , the power of lightwave and imagine cinema, it was all awesome.

but how many software developers are there now for the new machines come on give me a clue , and I mean giants that are going to produce decent quality software..

I would love to know.

why buy a machine that's not going to get super doper new paint programs as good as photoshop , if you look back in time the amiga ruled in all these areas.
Old 21 November 2013, 21:36   #33
ascp
Pastafarian

Quote:
Great. Now back to thread topics. AmigaOS- How will they manage to get SMP flying with the old OS-code? For me, it seems like a really hard thing to back port in an OS-architecture that wasn't written for it. Or..?
Old 22 November 2013, 08:48   #34
utri007
mä vaan

Amiga OS4 is hobby OS, so do not judge other hobbies. OS4 is direct decendant of Amiga OS3, it based to it source code. It has very same feeling than OS 3.9 had.

I have Sam 440ep Flex 800mhz, I bought it because I get it very tempting price. I was prety sure that I couldn't use it for anything, mostly because of people of amiga.org. Little machine was a very big surprice when noticed that it is very ueasble for some basic tasks like web browsin and watching PAL quality avis.
Old 22 November 2013, 09:26   #35
Slayer
Amiga Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imigger View Post
I would have 1 if they ported everything over to work on the new spec so its as good but faster ,im not saying there crap I just think its a lot of money for hardly any new software.

if they kept making advances in the paint programs with all that new speed and video editing with all that speed , everyone would go and get 1 ,because theyamiga was the video titler of the world at 1 point, and babalon5 was made on amigas , the power of lightwave and imagine cinema, it was all awesome.

but how many software developers are there now for the new machines come on give me a clue , and I mean giants that are going to produce decent quality software..

I would love to know.

why buy a machine that's not going to get super doper new paint programs as good as photoshop , if you look back in time the amiga ruled in all these areas.
The thing is I've been with the Amiga since day one and I for one have never understood the concern with backwards compatiability especially with a new starting point like the new AmigaOne X1000.

All it proves is the OS should have evolved earlier but was always held back by people who wanted there few thousands of dollars to last them a life time. This is a stupid anchor point which infects just about everything today. Sure, standards can't just keep changing every couple of years but they can certainly change after say 5 since technology just evolves so damn fast.

The other thing is you and many like you condemn the machine simply because it is not providing YOU with a strong enough selling point. How the HELL is it ever going to change unless people support it? If you can't see the future WHY speak out against it? Most of us are smart enough to know what we are buying. But we buy it anyway and it's not because it does this or does that it's because it is an interest and it's a great feeling to have an interest that you enjoy and you want to get involved in and love to be part of.

The X1000 and the future is an awesome place to look into.

What are your alternatives? Be a content computer user and find your distractions elsewhere, cars? horses? stamp collecting or Art? How much money do people invest in these hobbies or interests? What's the harm in having a geeky interest like a custom AmigaOS MB/Software solution?

I absolutely love getting new hardware and the fact that it is tailor made to run AmigaOS is just simply amazing in this day and age and the future is even better.

If Trevor and his unique business partners eventually run out of steam in the distant future I am going to still be a very happy user of the NG Amigas for the rest of my life as I was a very happy user running my A4000 and 3.5/3.9 right up until the first SAM came out...I always really believed AmigaOS was too important and too special to die out like that (when things just stopped for the longest time) and I just knew someone at some stage would do something...

Well, it's happened and its time for people to realise this isn't an overnight wonder and it's not going to fail tommorrow. So either please join the cause or at least please just have the decency to respectfully remain quiet, whatever will be will be... We certainly don't deserve the negative scrutiny we are so constantly bombarded with...

Hey! I actually posted instead of cutting it out and saving it to a file for later viewing by myself
Old 22 November 2013, 09:36   #36
Slayer
Amiga Member

Btw, that wasn't directed at you solely nor was it an absolute statement, I'm just glad I actually posted something, you have no idea at times how much some of us would like to post but because of the way the forums are today (the mods and admins don't care about the Amiga as much as they love traffic - so freedom of speech and ideas run riot even on a supposed themed board) you just end up getting frustrated with the lack of control and the senseless disrespect of some users

Just imagine, why the hell can't we change something if we try hard enough? One day soon I hope to help Trevor, all the man needs is some more help, he's already paved the way.

Think about it...

p.s.

My new Xbox One arrived this morning, I still haven't unpacked it, do you think I'd leave a new Cyrus + MB sitting there like that??? LOL
Old 22 November 2013, 16:08   #37
gulliver
BoingBagged

The problem is that you are denying afew simple facts: OS4 is not a direct descendant of AmigaOS. It is just a port to another unrelated platform that a gaming company did with the sources they managed to get (they didnt get the entire 3.9 sources by the way), and then, they heavily modified it to suit their needs at the expense of compatibility (which is very important if you dont have good native PPC apps).

The other thing, is the hardware: The AmigaOne series has absolutely no relation whatsoever to what the Amiga hardware ever was, not even conceptually speaking.

I believe more than half of the problems AmigaOne users face are due to the marketing tactics of these companies trying to revive an extinct dodo (the Amiga), to make some quick buck, and then it gets worse when they delude users in that they are buying a real Amiga when they arent. They should follow a more honest path like MorphOS and AROS people do.

Look, Trevor seems to be a nice guy, but then he is indeed not selling/manufacturing/designing Amigas, just simple PPC motherboards.
Old 22 November 2013, 16:41   #38
klx300r

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
I'm not really into NG stuff but if people get enjoyment out of them then that's a good thing
+1

@ Slayer

long winded but point well made

@ gulliver

OS3.5/3.9 are mainly 3'rd party patches atop OS3.1 (which is the main core of AmigaOS). OS4.1 is based on OS3.1.

btw, A-Eon is designing, manufacturing, and selling PPC computer systems that are soley being made TODAY to run my favourite OS of choice. To me this priceless I also enjoy using AspireOS for my mobile Amiga experience and kudos to the AROS guys also keeping the dream alive!

psssst...I'll let you in on a little secret....I'm also a regular OS1.3 & OS3.9 user too ya know
Old 22 November 2013, 17:12   #39
SS454
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by klx300r View Post
+1, I love using my favourite OS as my main computer at home along side my classics. Kudos to ACube & A-Eon for giving us a choice of hardware today as it's just amazing seeing OS4.1 moving up steadily to 4.2. Lots of stuff happening with the modern AmigaOS and classic stuff so lots to be happy about being an Amiga user today
But they've not given us a choice of hardware. Instead they locked the OS to these weird low volume, high cost motherboards.

See the biggest problem is the OS4 camp can't decide what they want to be.

It's not a retrocomputer, because the hardware is completely different.

It's not a Modern system, because all the hardware is something in performance and specification from 5-10 years ago, at prices higher than 5-10 years ago.

It's not even a hobby hacker system. Nobody is breaking out breadboards for this, the only thing X does is cost money. And the demo people either left or stuck to AGA Amigas.
Old 22 November 2013, 17:52   #40
klx300r

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS454 View Post
See the biggest problem is the OS4 camp can't decide what they want to be.

It's not a retrocomputer, because the hardware is completely different.

It's not a Modern system, because all the hardware is something in performance and specification from 5-10 years ago, at prices higher than 5-10 years ago.

It's not even a hobby hacker system. Nobody is breaking out breadboards for this, the only thing X does is cost money. And the demo people either left or stuck to AGA Amigas.
it's an evolution of AmigaOS and A-Eon has committed to PPC hardware for quite some time now. If you have a chance to use OS4.1 at perhaps a computer show then you will feel quite at home.

You do have a choice of AmigaOS4.1, AROS, or MorphOS today to enjoy your modern Amiga fix. It's up to you to support it and make it better

The Xorro/XMOS slot on the X1000 is there waiting to be hacked by an old or future amigan....been quite a few interesting discussions about current/ future projects.

I enjoy what i have today and when something cool comes out of the Xorro/Xmos slot I'll be happy to try it out.

Last edited by prowler; 24 November 2013 at 01:25. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged.