Old 27 March 2006, 03:51   #21
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
Sorry if you got confused...?
Yes, quite a lot!
Apologies in return.

That is ... so there ARE non- Stag disks then?
Old 28 March 2006, 01:08   #22
JohnnyWalker
aka ThunderPeel2001

No, no, no! More confusion!

Stag was a series of disks by a particular group, but it isn't a *generic* term for any old disks (as some thought), but rather a specific series!

Phew, this is getting complicated. Check out the Zone and you'll see!
Old 28 March 2006, 08:56   #23
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas
Yes, quite a lot!
Apologies in return.

That is ... so there ARE non- Stag disks then?
I think someone went blind from watching too many os!
Old 01 April 2006, 14:31   #24
JohnnyWalker
aka ThunderPeel2001

Hehe!

Oh well, I guess no-one has been able to answer my question though: Who was behind it? Where did it come from? And did they do anything else?
Old 03 April 2006, 12:05   #25
bloom

"those" STAG disks are all added at pouet

http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=23185

with scene.net ftp download ahhhh those times, hehe!
Old 03 April 2006, 13:13   #26
SilentBob

The Stag series was probably the most distributed set of disks we had around where I lived. I had people on my door after every release, drooling, shouting "ZOMG! You have the latest Stag disk! I must copy it!"
Old 03 April 2006, 14:47   #27
bloom

yeah teenagers and ---
Old 03 April 2006, 16:44   #28
bloom

btw has pouet an adult check.. looking at those stag screenshots i doubt that those are for ppl under the age of 18
Old 08 April 2006, 16:24   #29
JohnnyWalker
aka ThunderPeel2001

Quote:
btw has pouet an adult check.. looking at those stag screenshots i doubt that those are for ppl under the age of 18
Yes, they severely warped MY fragile little mind back in the day!
Old 08 April 2006, 18:11   #30
JohnnyWalker
aka ThunderPeel2001

Looks like I've found my own answers, so for anyone who cares, here's (far) more information about the Stag disks than you ever wanted to know!

For starters, the complete roster of official Stag disks are:

1: Stag
2: Son of Stag Strikes Back!
3: The Bride of Son of Stag Strikes Back!
4: The Bride of Son of Stag Strikes Back Again!
5: The Bride of Son of Stag Strikes Back Again! Part II
6: The Bride of Son of Stag Strikes Back Again! Part II +
7: Stag EXTRA (disk of sequences that were made but never used)

They were all made by two guys, Movelove and Bruscilla the Muscle, from Norway! (So that's that mystery solved.) The engine (disk 3 onwards) was designed by Vincent of Black Sunday - "178 digitized images on one disk!".

Each disk contained a scrolly, including Stag 1 (although 1's was only visible if you let the videos loop around for long enough). There were some unofficial releases from lame groups/people who just changed the scrolly.

How about a bit of trivia? Each disk started with an audio sample, here's what they were:

1: Depeche Mode
2: Kate Bush
3: Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds!
4: Ministry
5: Skinny Puppy
6: Sisters of Mercy
7: Cabaret Voltaire

And here's "how they did it" (from Stag 6):

Quote:
First of all, we got hold of some ographic videos. I know, I know, you shouldn't give money to slobbering criminals, but we did it anyway. Sent away money to a shop called Man Fashion in Oslo and Sandbergs in Sweden somewhere. We got back a lot of cassettes, most of which we hadn't ordered. But OK, o's o, like. We bought a VIDIAmiga digitizer from Rombo in England. Now we were all set, we thought. But, it wasn't to be that easy. For the first two Stags we borrowed a video machine with a good pause function, but it was really a pain to make the sequences. We used Rombo's own software for digitizing. Really hard to see how the sequences would look after shrinking and bouncing. We wrote a DOS command that shrinked the separate pictures and IFF-packed them into a sequence. As you all know, IFF-packing isn't all that effective, so the first two Stags had about 10 sequences each. Go back and take a look at those two disks. We're quite impressed they turned out so well. The first time we saw how the sequences behaved when played was when the disks was complete and finished. Either we were exceptionally lucky or we're genuises. But then, we got fed up with this rinky-dinky amateurish set up. We were ready for some heavy action! We went to a friend with a LARGE professional VCR. He also had an Archimedes. We wrote a program on the Amiga that digitized whole sequences by controlling the Archie which again controlled the VCR. The Archie controlled the VCR by sending it infra-red signals digitized from the remote-controll. Nice, huh? Anyway... All we had to after getting the whole thing set up was to find the scene we wanted to digitize on the VCR and tell the Amiga how many frames to skip between each frame to be digitized. The Amiga, Archie and the Panasonic did the rest. After the digitizing was finished the program entered edit mode and we could cut and edit the sequence so that it looked OK and was being shown in the appropriate speed. The program also displayed number of pictures in the sequence, and so on. It then automatically packed the pictures using Vincent's Bear-packing algorithm, joined them into sequences and saved them to disk along with info about length and speed. Couldn't be simpler, huh? Then all we had to was make the rest. (Bootloader, samples, graphics, track-saver & loader, replayer, double-buffering, scroller for italic letters etc. You know.) The scroll text font is by the way nicked from a Desktop Publishing Program on the Archie.
And finally, here's a very special something for all of you: One of the creators (Morelove) hid an IFF of himself on the Stag EXTRA disk on tracks $68F - $6DF, and yes, to your delight/horror/indifference I can now reveal it to you all! (I told you this was more than you wanted to know! )

Phew! My brain is fried!

After trawling through all that, I don't ever want to see another Stag disk ever again! Plus, I think I need a long shower!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Morelove.gif
Views:	1903
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	10733  

Last edited by JohnnyWalker; 08 April 2006 at 18:29.
Old 08 April 2006, 23:46   #31
Parsec

Does anyone remember another series called something weird like "bodeans bodacious bordello of " or something similar? Those disks featured some quite naughty ladies, especially for a lad of 13/14!

Looking back I had some really eye popping stuff on my A500, in fact the clarity of some of it was a lot better than the free stuff you get off the net these days.

We could call it retro , but actually I think that title is already taken by people who are into the old black and white shit
Old 10 April 2006, 16:34   #32
BippyM
Global Moderator

there are some of these bodean disks in tosec ;D
Old 11 April 2006, 01:27   #33
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Please tell me more, i am always after "Memorabilia"
Old 20 April 2006, 13:52   #34
Rick Dangerous
Registered Playmate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec
Does anyone remember another series called something weird like "bodeans bodacious bordello of " or something similar? Those disks featured some quite naughty ladies, especially for a lad of 13/14!
I too well remember "bodeans bodacious bordello beauties".

cheers,
Rick
Old 11 May 2006, 16:41   #35
Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteb
Please tell me more, i am always after "Memorabilia"
There is another one called Betag. The name even sounds like an acknowledgement/tribute of Stag but the catch is that there is only the one disk in the "series".

Old 11 May 2006, 17:58   #36
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

Yeah retro fits very well. By the way, anyone to upload to the zone any of those disks?
Old 11 May 2006, 18:32   #37
Enforcer

Betag upped to the zone. Hope you like it.

Old 13 June 2006, 22:23   #38
Tim

Wow. My first post here and it's to talk about

I remember these disks being used on Sky News, many years ago, to illustrate what computers could do when it came to animated and the dangers of corrupting our youth.

Two young guys had set up an Amiga in the studio which was running a Stag disk, "frozen" on one of the tamer clips. This thread has brought back a few memories.

I even produced a poor softcore set of disks for a PD library once (can't remember who though) under the awful handle of Topdog. Very basic stuff. I used a Panasonic VHS with a rock steady pause and my Vidi Amiga 12 to capture and loop roughly 30 frames of "high quality" animated breast fun

Old 26 July 2006, 12:30   #39
sinatra
Zone Friend

Hehe, inspired me to make this: http://tinyurl.com/syuz8
stag2pc (all seven disks in one menued exe)
Old 26 July 2006, 22:48   #40
Adderly
[Satan^God]

Send a message via ICQ to Adderly
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatra
Hehe, inspired me to make this: http://tinyurl.com/syuz8
stag2pc (all seven disks in one menued exe)
LOL. *Downloading*