English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 16 April 2017, 23:30   #1
Nibbler
namm namm AMIGA

Amiga Furia Compact Flash Corruption & Freezes

Hi Folks.
So i got my Furia for the A600 and i have a Transcend Compact Flash.
No matter what i do files gets randomly corrupted when loaded.
( animations.iff´s are a good test for this )

I try´d the FFS, the PFS3 Aio , always the same problem

No matter if i make the RDB in WinUae or on the A600, always some random corruption

I working for hours on this ( i think for 2 days .... no luck )

Any help ? it drives me nuts

Picture of the Card down there .... what shall i do ???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	card.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	52815  
Old 16 April 2017, 23:46   #2
Superman

I gave up with CF cards as the furia is very picky with them. I also have that Transcend with errors and also a Sandisk which wont boot at all. I switched to an 8gb SD card and I have had no problems at all so for using PFS3aio.

Last edited by Superman; 16 April 2017 at 23:51.
Old 17 April 2017, 00:02   #3
idrougge

As Superman said, and as the Furia maker himself says, it is picky about cards. I use mine with Sandisk cards, as is recommended.

Transcend has always been a bit hit-and-miss with the Amiga, although I use an industrial Transcend in my A1200.
Old 17 April 2017, 00:17   #4
Nibbler
namm namm AMIGA

Thank you so much guys, youre the best. i will try that. Greetings and thanx, Nibbler \o/
Old 17 April 2017, 14:15   #5
idrougge

Corruption is usually a case of bad maxtransfer setting.
Old 17 April 2017, 15:42   #6
Nibbler
namm namm AMIGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
Corruption is usually a case of bad maxtransfer setting.

No,not in that case. No matter the Maxtransfer Corruption when data loading happends.

Thats a Known problem with the Furia like mentioned above.

I tried 1fe00 (manual in the 3.1 hdtoolbox) and with the 3.5 hdtoolbox the maxtransfer is accurate and automaticly set to 1fe00.

Its a Furia Problem and if i had looked on the Homepage of the Furia maker i had known
Old 17 April 2017, 16:41   #7
supaduper

@ nibbler I have the Furia and had the same probs as you but it was a while back now.
After some chat with the furia maker we arrived the solution at what as been mentioned here before that is recommending using any of the Sandisk `Ultra` range of CF, I have the 16gb `Ultra` and works no problem

Last edited by supaduper; 17 April 2017 at 18:28.
Old 17 April 2017, 18:12   #8
Nibbler
namm namm AMIGA

Yesss, it was the CARD !!!!

I exchange the card for this 4GB SanDisk (30mb/s) and it works like a champ.

(i made a script that loads random Iff animations.... it works for 1 hour without any corruptions or Crashes,without the SanDisk it would work only for maybe 1 minute and then CORRUPTION and Freaky Reset tries)

Thank you so much guys... at first i thought " dawm, my luck, the furia is maybe broken " , but now i am SOooooo HAPPYYYY

Thank you so much guys

PS. Here is a picture of the WORKING CARD !!! ( no corruption or Freezes )

PPS: the funny thing is, i got the Furia From Versalia.de with a compact flash card ( maxflash 4gb ) and this card dosent work in any amiga i got ( even when i use diskpart )

THEY SHOULD KNOW !!!! grrrrr
i had a Transcend at home ( from the PCMCIA Slot ) and that worked... well
at least a bit

But Screw this, A SANDISK is what i needed

FURIA + SANDISK = GREATNESS

Greetings and a lot Happy Vibes from Nibbler
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	card-works.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	52823  
Old 17 April 2017, 20:29   #9
Superman

I have an 8gb 50 mb/s version of that Sandisk card and it doesn't work with my furia funnily enough. Thats when I got fed up with wasting money on CF and switched to the SD card.
Old 17 April 2017, 23:51   #10
jack-3d
kLiker

Fúria is not picky, I tested 4 Compact Flash cards (Sandisk 4 GB, Sandisk 8 GB, Sandisk 16 GB, Sandisk 32 GB) and all works perfectly ;o))) But I personally use Microdrive 4GB.
Old 18 April 2017, 10:17   #11
idrougge

I can confirm that Sandisk 1 GB also works.
Old 19 April 2017, 12:48   #12
Nibbler
namm namm AMIGA

Hi Folks.

So the marathon long run IFF Animation loading test is over.

As mentioned above the SanDisc 4GB works 100% IF you leave the IDE Boost off !

IF i use the Option "IDE On" ( for the IDE BOOST ) the card is not 100% stable anymore, pretty close but not 100%.

Maybe its just my config ( 1.5 rev board ) but i leave the IDE Boost OFF ( like standard

My Furia command looks like this

C:FuriaTune AddMem ShadowRom >Nil:

Works AWESEOME !!
Old 19 April 2017, 13:47   #13
springycz

You need a motherboard with Gayle rev. 1 (the one Superman has) in order to use the IDE boost.
Old 19 April 2017, 18:56   #14
Nibbler
namm namm AMIGA

Thanx for all those great Infos. Now i/we know. I dont miss the IDE boost because with the PFS3 filesystem and the ShadowRom option the A600 Furia is verz fast and responsive. I think my OS3.9 boots 2 seconds. Crazy !! The Furia is really a great card and with 6722 drystones in sysinfo it shows ! In my opinion the best card for the money. Especially if you dosent want / or have a vampyre. BIG Thanx to the Furia creator. \o/ happy vibes
Old 20 April 2017, 10:14   #15
Toryglen-boy

The Furia IS very picky about what CF cards it will use, the maker of the card admitted himself, he lost some compatibility with CF cards, from pushing the board as fast as it will go. I had the same issues with mine, in the end, i bought an industrial grade 8Gb Sandisk CF card, and i found using PFS3 made a HUGE difference to stability when copying over files etc. no more 'disk suspended activity' shenanigans, take my word for it
Old 21 May 2018, 17:41   #16
turrican9

Sorry to bump an old thread but I have the same problems. Tried all kinds of Compact flash cards. Even the Sandisk Ultra 8GB that came with the Furia will not be stable with this accelerator. It can be stable for a few hours then suddenly it happens. Somtimes it happens at coldboot where Classic workbench will not start first try. Last thing I tried was to use PFS3 file system on the Sandisk card and still the same random lockups or crashes. btw, I did not notice much speed difference between FFS and PFS3. Some people are talking about PFS3 as if it makes a huge difference. I know it supports large drives but 4GB is really enough for me. I think I will just stick to FFS. I never had any problems with FFS on any of my other Amigas. Also, looking at PFS3 made no difference with regards to stability or noticeable speed improvement over FFS on this Furia setup.

Finally gave in an ordered an IDE to SD adapter and a 8GB Sandisk SDHC card. I read that people using SD cards with the Furia has no problems. I really think the Amiga shops selling the Furia should offer SD card setups to go with it.
Old 21 May 2018, 17:53   #17
Amiga1992

PFS3 is not just about speed, but mostly about reliability. You'll suffer validation errors if your software crashed mid-write or you do an accidental reset. Validation errors never happen with PFS.
A validation on a large (4GB) drive after a crash or reset could take FOREVER to complete and without you completing it you can't properly use the drive.

However if you are going to use your volume as read only, FFS is an option. I use FFS on read only volumes.
Old 21 May 2018, 18:32   #18
turrican9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
PFS3 is not just about speed, but mostly about reliability. You'll suffer validation errors if your software crashed mid-write or you do an accidental reset. Validation errors never happen with PFS.
A validation on a large (4GB) drive after a crash or reset could take FOREVER to complete and without you completing it you can't properly use the drive.

However if you are going to use your volume as read only, FFS is an option. I use FFS on read only volumes.
Thanks for the in-depth explanation.

I mostly play games and watch a few demos. I sometimes make savegames and some Hi-scores get saved now and then. Never had an issue. This includes Amiga 600 with ACA 620, Amiga 500 with ACA500 + ACA 1221 and Amiga 1200 with ACA 1233. All of them using 4GB CF Cards with a small 200MB system drive and two 1800MB ish partitions for games and demos. All of them using FFS filesystem. Never had any issues.

My Amiga 600 with Furia and the "approved" Sandisk Ultra 8GB which came with (because one could select it. And it should be working with the Furia) this Furia when ordered from amigastore.eu shows the same symptoms when using PFS3 VS FFS. So this seems more like the Furia having issues with CF cards in general.

And I cannot remember ever being asked about the drives needing validation. Maybe I never had a crash or reset while the disk was writing? I use classic workbench full on all my Amigas.

Oh, and in case something should happen, I have the CF images stored on a PC so can write them back easily.

Last edited by turrican9; 21 May 2018 at 18:42.
Old 21 May 2018, 18:47   #19
Amiga1992

Sure, you never had an issue, but you are just dealing with faith and hope you will not have one. Just a suggestion, you use what you want, I just shared how I do things.
This might all change with the new Amiga OS 3.1.x and its new FFS implementation though.
FFS is a bit more streamlined and low on requirements though so there are systems when it is your only chance.

Anyway, it DOES suck that the Fúria you got was shipped with a card that does not work, but I don't think there's an "approved" card, shops ship stuff with cards like this perhaps not knowing there's a problem. If you bought the combo from a shop and your combo does not work, you should complain to the shop and ask for a replacement o a refund.

Do you have your Fúria properly connected to ground? ACA620 and Fúria need proper grounding (via metal washers that connect to the mobo) to run properly.
Old 21 May 2018, 18:58   #20
turrican9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Sure, you never had an issue, but you are just dealing with faith and hope you will not have one. Just a suggestion, you use what you want, I just shared how I do things.
This might all change with the new Amiga OS 3.1.x and its new FFS implementation though.
FFS is a bit more streamlined and low on requirements though so there are systems when it is your only chance.

Anyway, it DOES suck that the Fúria you got was shipped with a card that does not work, but I don't think there's an "approved" card, shops ship stuff with cards like this perhaps not knowing there's a problem. If you bought the combo from a shop and your combo does not work, you should complain to the shop and ask for a replacement o a refund.

Do you have your Fúria properly connected to ground? ACA620 and Fúria need proper grounding (via metal washers that connect to the mobo) to run properly.
I appreciate you sharing knowledge. As I said, been running for a few years now without any problems related to FFS. I might switch to PFS3 later on.

That's another thing. It came with some plastic washers and no grounding screws. My ACA 620 came with two grounding screws at least. I have since connected a grounding wire from furia and connected it to the motherboard. Did not fix the issue.