English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 22 October 2019, 12:56   #81
roondar

Just to be clear: all I wanted to get across is that porting graphics from an 8-bit machine is never really 'easy', unless you don't alter the looks in any way.

So yes, upscaling C64 'fat' pixels is hard. But on the other hand the C64 does have the advantage of having the same horizontal resolution as standard Amiga modes so screen layout can be kept the same while not introducing side borders.

Meanwhile, the Spectrum's advantage here is that it's graphics don't use 'fat' pixels (and maybe coloring in monochrome graphics with colour clashing is easier than it is to invent new pixels?). But on the other hand, it does use a different horizontal resolution which will either require accepting a smaller screen or requires more innovative solutions such as mentioned by Dunny.

At any rate, I think it's all a bit off-topic here. This is a thread about which C64 games might be nice to port, not a thread about Spectrum ports

With that in mind, I've always rather liked Retrograde on the C64 and think it could work well on the Amiga
Old 22 October 2019, 14:51   #82
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
and the amazingly good fun Kickstart II.
Kikstart II is already one the Amiga
Old 22 October 2019, 22:48   #83
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
The Spectrum displays in 256x192, compared to the Amiga's 320x256 (or 320x200). This means that a one-to-one conversion will lead to a rather small screen on the Amiga with horizontally squished graphics (including sprites)
A rather small screen yes, just like the original.

Pixel widths on the ZX spectrum and PAL Amigas are practically identical. PAL Amigas have a lowres pixel clock of 3.55MHz. The original ZX spectrum is 3.50MHz but later models are 3.55MHz - same as the Amiga.

NTSC Amigas have a pixel clock of 3.58MHz which creates slightly narrower pixels, but they look much more squished due to the stretched vertical in NTSC. Perfect for emulating the Timex Sinclair 2068!

Quote:
I suppose you could accept the squished graphics and merely change the level lay-out, but it won't look great to anyone who knows the original.
Keep the layout the same and it will look identical.

I play Spectrum games through an emulator on my A1200, displayed in PAL composite, and they look and feel just like the real thing. My A1200 has a 50MHz 030 so emulation works well, but it would be nice to have games ported to native 68k code for lower spec machines. Keep the graphics identical for that true retro experience!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Plus3 vs ZXAM.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	64885  
Old 22 October 2019, 22:50   #84
roondar

Yeah, I already got told about the similar aspect ratio and have already agreed I was wrong there. No need to point it out three times, twice was plenty
Old 22 October 2019, 23:06   #85
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
Pixel widths on the ZX spectrum and PAL Amigas are practically identical. PAL Amigas have a lowres pixel clock of 3.55MHz. The original ZX spectrum is 3.50MHz but later models are 3.55MHz - same as the Amiga.
Ahem. 3.54MHz, or 70908 T-States per frame. Earlier 48k models used 69888 Ts/Frame, until the 128k models came out with the slight (0.04MHz) speed increase. The +2a/+3 further threw things out by changing timings again but went with the same clock speed as the 128k.

Quote:
I play Spectrum games through an emulator on my A1200, displayed in PAL composite, and they look and feel just like the real thing. My A1200 has a 50MHz 030 so emulation works well, but it would be nice to have games ported to native 68k code for lower spec machines. Keep the graphics identical for that true retro experience!
The point would be to not have the border. It's wasted space on an Amiga screen with addressable pixels, which the Spectrum didn't have. Might as well make use of it rather than having swathes of differently coloured panels around your game.
Old 22 October 2019, 23:40   #86
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

By the way, if someone is going to port Cyclone from Speccy count me in! Loved that game in the day; only difference is i want to SEE the hurricane while am in! (might be crazy rain, deep shadow or screen turbulence, but something has to be visible)
Old 23 October 2019, 00:01   #87
roondar

One game that I'd be interested in would be Lords of Midnight (or it's follow up Doomdark's Revenge), still using the same 'static 3D' graphics, but fully re-imagined using 16 bit graphics. Maybe even in 16 colour hires.

That should be possible to do in a very nice way.

As an added bonus, it was a Spectrum AND C64 game
Old 23 October 2019, 00:53   #88
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

I actually thought of that in a Robinson's Requiem fashion or using the 68k raycaster and transparences, a but like the modern Silk, that is inspired from LoM too.
Old 30 October 2019, 12:29   #89
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_a500 View Post
I wouldn't want the C64 version of Blue Max, but the original, superior Atari 8-bit version of Blue Max.
Yep, same here, another vote for Blue Max but preferably based on the Atari original. The Atari version has a nicer feel, a slightly different view distance that makes it play a bit better, and looks better with the Atari palette than the C64 version.

Incidentally, I actually started the early groundwork for an Amiga port of Blue Max a little while ago. I've so little time for my own projects these days that it's not likely to appear any time soon, but it's been on my to-do list for a long time.

I think, as has been brushed upon earlier in the thread, a simple 1:1 port is probably not the best approach. Updating the sound, graphics, palettes and controls to a more modern look and feel while keeping the essence of the original game.