English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 15 August 2019, 16:18   #301
lovebus5

+1 for Mega-lo-mania, played that soooo much. And the graphics were just mindblowingly good and awesome for me back then!
Old 15 August 2019, 18:12   #302
Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
Exile .

Everyone always said this game is incredible and awesome. When I finally got it and played it, all the time I was "What the hell am I supposed to do? I fly around, cool... and?"

Without a manual that game is impossible.
haha yes Exile is freaking amazing. It uses loads of keys on the keyboard though. Literally all the function keys and about 12 other keys from memory.

If you pick up a grenade for example : there's a dedicated button to prime it and another to drop or throw it and maybe 2 more keys to use to change the direction you aim it in

No wonder you had problems!
Old 15 August 2019, 20:19   #303
bolding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilbert View Post
haha yes Exile is freaking amazing. It uses loads of keys on the keyboard though. Literally all the function keys and about 12 other keys from memory.

If you pick up a grenade for example : there's a dedicated button to prime it and another to drop or throw it and maybe 2 more keys to use to change the direction you aim it in

No wonder you had problems!
+1 I loved Exile as a kid! But had no idea what-so-ever how to play it. I usually just roamed about and had fun flying a space suit
Can't wait to try it again as an adult... maybe I'll actually figure it out now
Old 18 August 2019, 12:30   #304
gandamaluco

Space Ace and Dragon's Lair games...
Almost broke a few joysticks with all the frustration!
I don't remember very well but I think I never used the others disks ( 2, 3, 4, etc ).
Old 21 August 2019, 19:03   #305
haynor666
retro maniac

Carthage - I was never interested enough to understand this game.
Old 23 August 2019, 15:39   #306
svabos

Storm master - never learned how to play it, still intrigues me
Barbarian (Psygnosis) - really frustrated me how unplayable it was and jet attracted me so much to try after some time again
Armour geddon - I guess the problem was long load time which killed the ability to learn from mistakes after starting again? I don't remember exactly thou

Mega Lo mania - not so hard to get a grip, extremely hard to master. Never finished it and I believe computer has serious advantage of not needing to wait for selecting the bigger amount of people which gives it a huge advantage in play.
Diggers - painstaking game play. But I remember mastering it and managed to get very far in the game. And then stopped for some reason and forgot how to play it in total. I remember it as a great game when I got hang of it
Genesia - same as Diggers. I just couldn't figure it out and then at one time, I did and played it and build balloon, had research going on and everything but stopped for some reason and forgot how to play it in total
Elvira - never had any clue what to do, never learned how to play it although it still haunts me
Old 06 September 2019, 22:29   #307
JohnnyWalker
aka ThunderPeel2001

Don't recall ever having problems with Mega-lo-Mania. Such a great game. Pretty sure I finished it.

Never got to grips with Populus II. It seemed impossible to do so without a manual.

EXILE was another great game. There's no levels, you just have to think everything through. It's *incredibly* clever, but a manual probably helps. Can't say I've played many games like it.
Old 08 September 2019, 16:06   #308
piesel

Always found Barbarian (Psygnosis) and Obliterator to be almost unplayable due to the laggy and unresponsive controls.
Old 10 September 2019, 19:57   #309
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by piesel View Post
Always found Barbarian (Psygnosis) and Obliterator to be almost unplayable due to the laggy and unresponsive controls.
Ever tried to play Barbarian or Obliterator in an emulator on a tablet or touch screen? Should be a bit better... (i did not)
Old 11 September 2019, 01:53   #310
ExiE

Burntime (http://hol.abime.net/251) – postapo genre always lured me but I never knew what to do in the game

Last edited by ExiE; 11 September 2019 at 11:53.
Old 11 September 2019, 17:03   #311
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiE View Post
Burntime (http://hol.abime.net/251) – postapo genre always lured me but I never knew what to do in the game
I love manual with that game, and one of good games with HD installation back in day. Used to play it quite a lot, but never completed it. IMHO it was very good surviving game where you have to worry about everything, food, water, health, radiation... and interact with people/mutants. That was fallout before fallout games.
Old 11 September 2019, 17:21   #312
piesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
Ever tried to play Barbarian or Obliterator in an emulator on a tablet or touch screen? Should be a bit better... (i did not)
Interesting suggestion, thinking about it that control method seems really suited to a touch screen, Psygnosis was ahead of its time
Old 22 October 2019, 14:00   #313
weaponx031277

Armageddon + Carrier Command.

Because i had copy versions of both and no instructions i didn't have a clue how to play either. Just used to like flying around on them until i crashed or was shot down.
Old 22 October 2019, 14:20   #314
mantakno

youtube has plenty of let play video or "wtf is gamename?"

i highly recommend that, and a good way to see other play it, and a good coffie brake sometimes insted of the same funny videos all the time.
Old 22 October 2019, 14:53   #315
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Hill Street Blues is another game that always looked very interesting but most of the time I felt I didn't know what I was doing.
Old 29 October 2019, 11:53   #316
utri007
mä vaan

Burntime was interested, but that time I didn't have enough patience to read manuals.

Genetic Species, it is actually Paradroid 3D

http://hol.abime.net/2716
Old 24 November 2019, 11:08   #317
DrBizzaro

The first game that comes into my mind that I did not understand back in the day is Utopia - Creation of a nation.
Old 24 November 2019, 14:22   #318
BippyM
Global Moderator

Powermonger.. It just wasn't a pick up and play game
Old 24 November 2019, 14:43   #319
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BippyM View Post
Powermonger.. It just wasn't a pick up and play game
I'd add to that and say the Populous series also
Old 25 November 2019, 23:10   #320
Mikerochip

Quote:
Originally Posted by svabos View Post
Storm master - never learned how to play it, still intrigues me
Elvira - never had any clue what to do, never learned how to play it although it still haunts me

Storm Master was soooo good.

Best £9.99 I ever spent on a game. It ended up not being too deep, and if you let the computer do the 3D battles you often lost.
But it still amazed me.
(Until I got Civilization!)

Elvira, I knew how to play... I just kept dying. And couldn't figure out much more than 2-3 puzzles for the whole length of time I owned/played it.

And I paid full price for it. Not the worst purchase I made, but definitely up there! (Actually, maybe it is the biggest disappointment after the fact)