English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.OtherUAE

Old 03 June 2014, 22:21   #1
amiga1200gamer

RaspberryPI uae4all2 discussion

Update: March 2015

Chips has made a release of uae4all2 with PI specific code for scaling and vsync. Its currently the best way to enjoy uae4all2 on the Raspberry PI
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/vi...?f=78&t=102328

Update: Feb 2015

Uae4all2 is now included in RetroPie. http://blog.petrockblock.com/
The site includes a script to install emulators on raspbian, or prebuilt SD card images for raspberry pi 1 or 2.

Kickstart roms need to be transferred to the BIOS directory at /home/pi/RetroPie/BIOS named kick12.rom kick13.rom kick20.rom kick31.rom
I find the easiest way to do this from windows is by ssh using WinSCP software. Theres plenty of information on the RetroPie/raspberry sites about transferring files to the RPI

It uses lubomyrs code, and resolves the graphics scaling issues/blackscreens using an improved version of SDL which uses the PIs graphics chip for video scaling. http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/vi...p?f=38&t=99822

Performance on Raspberry PI 1 is ok for OCS/ECS games providing frameskip 1 is used.

On Raspberry PI 2 you should get fullspeed OCS/ECS with no problems. Im running with kick31, 2mb chip 8mb fast and a 1gb hdf/whdload setup. I havent experienced any problems.
AGA/68020 works but suffers some slowdown especially on hi-res graphics

Big thanks to buzz/exotica for the improved SDL and bundling this into retropie.

----------------------------------
Original post June 14

To stop me further derailing the android uae4all2 discussion thread ill make new posts here...

My goal is to emulate an A600 with hard drive for whdload gaming with the Raspberry PI. Currently there are 2 Amiga emulators for the PI. Chips UAE4all (hosted on raspberry forums) and the newly released Armiga project. Both of these are based on uae4all1 which does not support hard drive files.

I'm attempting to get uae4all2 up and running on the RaspberryPI. . Right now it can be built from the uae4all2 source....I will make a guide to compiling and running soon.
Its a long way off a good release/stable version, so if your looking for a quick fix of ARM based amiga gaming, check one of the RPI projects above or Lubomyrs excellent Android/tablet release on his thread.

Last edited by amiga1200gamer; 03 March 2015 at 22:39.
Old 04 June 2014, 00:13   #2
amiga1200gamer

Current progress.

It runs but it needs further work, so don't expect to be playing games fullscreen at 50fps.

Heres the current build info for anyone whos comfortable compiling software....

Thanks to Lubomyr for adding the RPI stuff into the source, it can now be built from 2.3.5.3 sources without the need for patch files.

Uses the latest Raspbian image
Requires libsdl and development libraries (full list of dependancies for a new install will be added here soon)
Requires uae4all2 android sources (08062014) guichan 0.8.2

Guichan needs to be built and installed first.
Use Makefile.RPI to build

The AndroidData.zip file needs unpacking in your uae4all2 folder
Kickstarts kick31.rom or kick13.rom should be installed to uae4all2/kickstarts

Last edited by amiga1200gamer; 09 June 2014 at 13:09. Reason: No need for patches now
Old 04 June 2014, 09:56   #3
Chips

Hello,

I made a break on porting uae4all on raspberry pi.
The last version i made has perfect framerate (at least when raspberry has enough power) but sometime the whole session shutter, so i never release it...

I remember i had a uae4all2 which use dispmanX in a basic way, but not released too...

Note that uae4all1 has a clever autoframerate skip mecanism which works quite well that uae4all2 is missing... for some games/demos it is usefull for raspberry.

I wanted to work back on it but was too lazy... anyway perhaps soon . That would be good so that nobody else try to do the same things ...

Last edited by Chips; 04 June 2014 at 10:01.
Old 04 June 2014, 10:00   #4
Dunny

You might want to have a word with a guy called TomB over on the OpenPandora forums - he's been optimising away on our build and managed to get usable AGA emulation at 600mhz; emulating a crappy A600 at similar clock speeds should be full speed on the Pi despite its poor CPU.

D.
Old 04 June 2014, 12:49   #5
amiga1200gamer

Chips,

I did not know you had been working on uae4all2. I really like your uae4all port. I sent you a PM on raspberry forum before i tried this ,to ask if you were still working on your ports.

As i said in my first post- I wanted to try this for HDF support (to get my whdload fix while my 1200 has poorly capacitors )

I have been looking at dispmanx, first with using vanfanels custom sdl lib.

This weekend i tried transferring some of your code for dispmanx for sdlgfx.cpp . I managed to get things running in a basic way with the menus disabled (booting straight to emulation).
With menus (gp2x) enabled, I can switch to menu ok, but switching back to emulation crashes the program and leaves image fixed on screen- so i have to reboot.
I think likely i have missed something in Gui.cpp or i am not closing resources properly.. i still need to look at this.
My programming sucks - i'm just experimenting really...

I really hope one day you release your uae4all/uae4all2 updates!
Old 23 June 2014, 18:31   #6
ulysess

I'm very interested on this port. Any guide will be appreciated, because I don't know how to install on Raspbian the guichan.

I can help like a betatester if you need

My blog: http://misapuntesde.com

Old 29 June 2014, 19:37   #7
Higgy

I see someone has put up pre compiled uae4all2 binaries for RPI.

I can't paste link as using tablet, but head over to Rapsberrypi.org forums - gaming.

I might get a round to trying it later. I have just got VICE running nice on my barcade so want to try that.
Old 29 June 2014, 21:15   #8
lubomyr
AMIGA EMU DEV

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/vi...80602&p=570709
Old 29 June 2014, 21:25   #9
Higgy

I had to sudo chmod +x amiga & uae4all for it to work.

As I just asked on RPi.org, anyway of adjusting the SDL keys the emu uses? My bartop arcade is already setup and I would like to alter uae4all2 to the SDL keys I have.

Cheers.
Old 29 June 2014, 23:35   #10
amiga1200gamer

Hi higgy,

didnt see you here as well, just posted to you on raspberry forum. Right now custom controls dont work in raspberry , you have to change code in gui.cpp gui_handle_events to remap controls I think.

its on my long term to-do list when i get some time
Old 13 November 2014, 19:09   #11
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Is this project still alive?

I installed EmulationStation on my RPi, and never tried to emulate Amiga. I did emulate C64 and at the moment emu has only SNES, GENESIS (MD), NES and Master System installed.

How good is amiga emulation, is it worth messing with?
Old 16 November 2014, 17:35   #12
TuKo
Apollo Team

Hi guys,

I've just made myself a small and nice "A1200 in a box" with UAE4all2 and a Raspberry Pi B+.

Booting with a custom Boing Ball splash screen and going straight to Workbench. Only problem is that I just can't get any sound out of it.

Emulation is not very fast, but it's acceptable. We have there a really cheap and portable solution.

Lot of work has to be done to get it really working :
* Multiple HDF support
* Both HDF and filedir support
* Improvement on keyboard mapping
* Bugfix of audio over HDMI with B+

I hope new builds will come !

Here is a small video of it working :
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 16 November 2014, 19:58   #13
Higgy

Nice.

Regarding the sound you might have to edit the config.txt or is it raspiconfig and you can 'force sound over HDMI'.

I have had problems when not using a HDMI TV, and have had to force the sound when using a PC monitor with HDMI input.

Good luck.
Old 16 November 2014, 21:35   #14
TuKo
Apollo Team

Thanks Higgy. That did the trick.

I'd prefer having no sound finally, it's stuttering like hell. I don't know if this is because of the slow Pi CPU or because of unoptimized software for Pi.
Old 17 November 2014, 20:16   #15
pandy71

Go for http://www.bananapi.org/p/product.html
Old 29 November 2014, 18:17   #16
lubomyr
AMIGA EMU DEV

For banana pi i can recommend re-build uae4all2 with armv7 optimization and with using neonhelper routines. It will be works much faster then current PI-version.
Old 30 November 2014, 07:19   #17
rSl

hi
i get the following error when building the latest source from github on the rpi:

src/menu_guichan/menuTabMain.cpp:739:1: error: expected ;
after class definition
src/menu_guichan/menuTabMain.cpp: In member function virtual void widgets::BlitterModeActionListener::MemorySliderActionListener::action(const gcn::ActionEvent&):
src/menu_guichan/menuTabMain.cpp:279:29: error: cannot call
member function void widgets::BlitterModeActionListener::show_settings_TabMain() without object
src/menu_guichan/menuTabMain.cpp: At global scope:
src/menu_guichan/menuTabMain.cpp:739:1: error: expected }
at end of input
make: *** [src/menu_guichan/menuTabMain.o] Error 1

would love to be able to get that building, thanks for any fix.

cheers
rSl

Old 30 November 2014, 13:46   #18
lubomyr
AMIGA EMU DEV

It look like problem with line 194 with symbol '{'
I removed it
github updated
try again and post result
Old 30 November 2014, 17:09   #19
Gaula92

lubomyr: can you please post building instructions for Banana Pi? I have a CUbieboard2 which is basically the same hardware. Tried the armv7a-neon-hard makefile (make -f ...) but it fails.
Also, does it manage NTSC? No PAL videomodes for me in emulated Amiga as my monitor won't support them.
Old 30 November 2014, 18:39   #20
lubomyr
AMIGA EMU DEV

Makefile.armv7a-neon-hard - this for android

added Makefile for BananaPi (not tested)
https://github.com/lubomyr/uae4all2/...efile.BananaPI

Please check if it works.

Last edited by lubomyr; 30 November 2014 at 18:54.