English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 12 June 2013, 23:50   #1
merlin1968

Compact Flash Write Errors and Nervous Mouse

Have you ever had one of those days!

I'm looking for some advice...

I have an A4000D which I've just re-built. The battery and clock circuit has been replaced/fixed last year and I thought it was about time to put it back together again with a new Mediator (which was also bought new a while ago, I'm just a bit lazy at sorting things out!!)

I'm using a CF adapter which I know is good but I have swapped it - I've used quite a few of them in other 4000D's.

On rebuilding it with the Mediator I've noticed the mouse is wobbling left and right on certain parts of the workbench screen and it seems to take ages to boot the CF card. It also reports read / write errors on the second partition of the CF when WB 3.1 loads of the first partition.

I've tried other cards (all Sandisk which have been prepared in my working 4000Dcr all working perfectly) but they all seem to do the same.

When I try the OS3.9 emergency disk to install 3.9 over a vanilla WB3.1 install on the re-built machine it is unable to format the drives - Loads the format GUI and lets me select the name and options but as soon as I click 'Quick Format' it seems to do something but never returns with a pointer and the GUI and workbench are non-responsive.

I've also prepared different SANDISK card in WINUAE with the Classic 3.9 build and it works fine in WINUAE - boots and everything but if I try the CF in the real thing, it takes an eternity to boot and again read/write errors - only seems to be on the second partition. Ive set max transfer correctly.

The 4000D was behaving like this before the Mediator was installed - just with 16Mb Fast, 2MB Chip, CF, CD Rom and T-REX 040.

I wasn't too sure about JP100 settings as the A4000D machine seemed to work on int and ext clock. Its set to int now. I swapped the T-REX out of the working A4000Dcr (revision D I think). The suspect A4000 originally had a CMB 030@25 board which is now in the CR and working 100% (if not a little slow )

I will swap the T-REX, Mediator and KS3.1 back into the A4000Dcr but I'm sure they all work fine.

So potentially I have two problems:

1. Nervous 'Wobbly' mouse
2. IDE read/write issue

I was wondering if these two things could be related. I've read other places about potential CIA problems.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Old 13 June 2013, 00:02   #2
thomas

Quote:
it seems to take ages to boot the CF card.
Probably it's validating (verifying the file system structure after a previous write error).

Quote:
It also reports read / write errors on the second partition of the CF when WB 3.1 loads of the first partition.
Set MaxTransfer to 0x1fe00 for all partitions on the CF card?

Quote:
I wasn't too sure about JP100 settings as the A4000D machine seemed to work on int and ext clock.
Is this the clock jumper for the processor board? It shouldn't work in both places. If it does, it's not reliable. If the board needs INT, then it will not do anything when set to EXT (just black screen). If the board needs EXT, then it might work with INT but crash sooner or later. So if it works with both EXT and INT for you, you should set it to EXT.
Old 13 June 2013, 00:09   #3
merlin1968

Thanks thomas for your speedy response, I'll try the jumper tomorrow and post the result.

CF max transfer is $1fe00 but I get this massive delay even if I prep the card in my working A4000 - it boots in seconds on that, put in in the problem machine and it takes ages, even if I boot from floppy; The HD light goes on, the floppy starts to boot, it stops and then 30 seconds or so later the HD light goes out, floppy continues to boot, loads WB and I get a read/write error.

I'll swap the IDE cable too just to make sure its not that.
Old 13 June 2013, 07:33   #4
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

With the mouse issue to me that sounds like a contact problem or pullup problem. If the mouse or associated circuitry has an iffy joint in it and it's making and breaking contact then that could cause it to creep left / right / up / down. I have also seen battery leakage that causes issues around the mouse control circuitry as well, although I know the CR boards have the button cell.

You mention the board is a 4000D with its own internal processor on board so if you have a card in the slot it will work on INT and EXT just selecting the relevant processor.
Old 14 June 2013, 18:00   #5
merlin1968

I starting to think the 4000D might have a motherboard issue with the mouse.
I removed the mediator and T-Rex from the 4000D and put it in my CR machine (setting MB Jumpers to INT, if I use EXT it wont boot) and again it takes ages to boot with the CF I prepped for the problem 4000D and again read write errors on the second partition.

I ignored the write error and installed 3.9 and the boing bags 1-4 on the CR but had a problem with a Guru error on booting which I put down to possibly the SCS update / setpatch with BB4. Still issues with the 2nd partition although before BB4 was installed it let me delete the second partition and re-create it in 3.9 but again read/write errors on that partition so I removed the CF and put back in its original CF (ClassicWB3.1) which again took about 30 seconds to boot but I'm thinking now this is the Mediator setup -

I've no experience with the Mediator busboard. Without the Mediator in it boots in seconds.

So now the Mediator, T-REX and KS3.1 is in the CR (oh I've also had the board out and replaced the tagged cell battery for a socketed one so its not all been in vain )
I've installed the drivers for the Mediator and now attempting to get that working without much look.

I have a Realtek Ethernet, Spider USB & Voodoo 3. PCIINFO reports all the cards there and Trident brings the Spider online but reports a driver problem for the HUB and that's as far as I've got.

Easynet wont' load the FastEthernet.device, MIAMI will find it and gets its MAC etc but when I give it static IP (or DHCP for that matter), it wont ping anything else on the network or get on the net.

Maybe Windows7 has screwed up the CF for the 4000D - I originally prepped it with WINUAE Classic3.9.

Is there anyway in Windows to wipe the CF (remove all partitions) so I can use this card again in a real Amiga?

I'm off now to get the latest Mediator and Spider drivers and try it again!

Should I put the PCI cards in any specific order in the Mediator?
Old 14 June 2013, 18:05   #6
merlin1968

Thanks Loedown. The problem 4000D MB was repaired last year and I'm sure this wobbly mouse problem has only occurred recently.
Its movement is almost a pixel shift left and right of its position but only occurs on certain parts of the WB screen.
I've decided to send it off again and have someone have a look at it.
Old 15 June 2013, 02:44   #7
merlin1968

Mediator now working thanks to a tutorial I found over on Amibay. Well, VooDoo and Ethernet anyway. The spider is another issue but I'll get there eventually!

Thanks guys for your advice.
Old 16 June 2013, 04:01   #8
merlin1968

Registered the Spider and got the spider.device from Elbox and it works a treat!

Also set up my 27" Iiyama LCD and its running at 1920 x 1080 and it looks superb. Tried my 1920 x 1200 Dell 24" and ran into loads of problems; couldn't get a full screen @ 1920 x 1200 but I'll leave that for another day.

Its all fun isn't it!