English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 18 March 2006, 05:21   #1
JohnnyWalker
aka ThunderPeel2001

Those "Stag" disks

Remember these? I stumbled across one from a friend who had given me a blank disk to copy something for him. I often checked out disks I was given to see if they had anything on that I wanted... but my 14 year old eyes nearly popped out of their head when this came on! Heh!

I never saw another one, but since doing a little research it seems that the "Stag" disks are actually quite famous! (They're not listed in the HOL though! ) Does anyone know where they came from? Or who was responsible for them? Considering the person/persons made something that was a sort of "underground hit", it'd be interesting to hear who it was! Were they based in Germany?

I have to say, considering the Amiga's limitations and, most especially, the , ahem, "subject matter", that they were pretty well-made little disks!

----

UPDATED: Moved from the 2nd page because a lot of people were apparently missing the information within...

Looks like I've found my own answers, so for anyone who cares, here's (far) more information about the Stag disks than you ever wanted to know!

For starters, the complete roster of official Stag disks are:

1: Stag
2: Son of Stag Strikes Back!
3: The Bride of Son of Stag Strikes Back!
4: The Bride of Son of Stag Strikes Back Again!
5: The Bride of Son of Stag Strikes Back Again! Part II
6: The Bride of Son of Stag Strikes Back Again! Part II +
7: Stag EXTRA (disk of sequences that were made but never used)

They were all made by two guys, Movelove and Bruscilla the Muscle, from Norway! (So that's that mystery solved.) The engine (disk 3 onwards) was designed by Vincent of Black Sunday - "178 digitized images on one disk!".

Each disk contained a scrolly, including Stag 1 (although 1's was only visible if you let the videos loop around for long enough). There were some unofficial releases from lame groups/people who just changed the scrolly.

How about a bit of trivia? Each disk started with an audio sample, here's what they were:

1: Depeche Mode
2: Kate Bush
3: Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds!
4: Ministry
5: Skinny Puppy
6: Sisters of Mercy
7: Cabaret Voltaire

And here's "how they did it" (from Stag 6):

Quote:
First of all, we got hold of some ographic videos. I know, I know, you shouldn't give money to slobbering criminals, but we did it anyway. Sent away money to a shop called Man Fashion in Oslo and Sandbergs in Sweden somewhere. We got back a lot of cassettes, most of which we hadn't ordered. But OK, o's o, like. We bought a VIDIAmiga digitizer from Rombo in England. Now we were all set, we thought. But, it wasn't to be that easy. For the first two Stags we borrowed a video machine with a good pause function, but it was really a pain to make the sequences. We used Rombo's own software for digitizing. Really hard to see how the sequences would look after shrinking and bouncing. We wrote a DOS command that shrinked the separate pictures and IFF-packed them into a sequence. As you all know, IFF-packing isn't all that effective, so the first two Stags had about 10 sequences each. Go back and take a look at those two disks. We're quite impressed they turned out so well. The first time we saw how the sequences behaved when played was when the disks was complete and finished. Either we were exceptionally lucky or we're genuises. But then, we got fed up with this rinky-dinky amateurish set up. We were ready for some heavy action! We went to a friend with a LARGE professional VCR. He also had an Archimedes. We wrote a program on the Amiga that digitized whole sequences by controlling the Archie which again controlled the VCR. The Archie controlled the VCR by sending it infra-red signals digitized from the remote-controll. Nice, huh? Anyway... All we had to after getting the whole thing set up was to find the scene we wanted to digitize on the VCR and tell the Amiga how many frames to skip between each frame to be digitized. The Amiga, Archie and the Panasonic did the rest. After the digitizing was finished the program entered edit mode and we could cut and edit the sequence so that it looked OK and was being shown in the appropriate speed. The program also displayed number of pictures in the sequence, and so on. It then automatically packed the pictures using Vincent's Bear-packing algorithm, joined them into sequences and saved them to disk along with info about length and speed. Couldn't be simpler, huh? Then all we had to was make the rest. (Bootloader, samples, graphics, track-saver & loader, replayer, double-buffering, scroller for italic letters etc. You know.) The scroll text font is by the way nicked from a Desktop Publishing Program on the Archie.
And finally, here's a very special something for all of you: One of the creators (Morelove) hid an IFF of himself on the Stag EXTRA disk on tracks $68F - $6DF, and yes, to your delight/horror/indifference I can now reveal it to you all! (I told you this was more than you wanted to know! )

Phew! My brain is fried!

After trawling through all that, I don't ever want to see another Stag disk ever again! Plus, I think I need a long shower!

Last edited by JohnnyWalker; 04 May 2022 at 01:55.
Old 18 March 2006, 19:15   #2
Doozy

Wink Oh yeah

Well I remember these disks from waaaaay back. Im talking 1993 was when i first came across these (13 years old) I don't remember who by or where they were made, but I remember trying to make similar disks using a video borrowed from fathers cupboard and my amiga 1200 with digitiser

Needless to say I failed and the best I could do was a slideshow of still frames

Old 18 March 2006, 22:01   #3
-=SPY=-

uploaded to the zone.... Enjoy.... also the group who released these was B.N.K. and they were based in Germany....
Old 18 March 2006, 22:10   #4
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=SPY=-
uploaded to the zone.... Enjoy.... also the group who released these was B.N.K. and they were based in Germany....
They are ?, not that I need them, i have my own copies, but I do not see them there.

This was back before the internet was available as it is today, I started getting these when I was in the UK and this was like 1990, then it took me a while to re-establish contacts to the amiga scene after moving to Australia, but then the Net appeared

And in usual Pr0n style... corney background music.
Old 19 March 2006, 16:43   #5
MajicMushroom
Proper Old Skool Scener

On the same subject, not that my innocent liccle eyes (stop laughing at the back) ever saw such things (ahem) - Does anyone remember the similar disks by "Wet Beaver"? Or they were called "Wet Beaver"..... Needless to say, there was a sound sample of a bunch of blokes in a very funny scandinavian accent going "Wet Beaver".

Made me piss myself laughing everytime I heard it.

heh
Old 21 March 2006, 02:20   #6
JohnnyWalker
aka ThunderPeel2001

Quote:
the group who released these was B.N.K. and they were based in Germany....
B.N.K - I remember that from the opening screen! I don't recall ever seeing anything else by them though. I had the vague impression it was just one guy, no idea why! Also, for a disk produced by "scenesters" there was nothing to point to their BBSs or a 'Greetz' list or anything (that I recall)... It all added to the mystery!
Old 21 March 2006, 08:57   #7
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

I had a "friend" who thought that these disks were excellent.

Oh and some of the corny music (my "friend" tells me) was a sample looped around of "Dirty Mind" by Shakespeare's Sister.... how appropriate...
Old 21 March 2006, 10:30   #8
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

A got an A1200 from a garage sale a few years back, all it had with is was a copy of workbench 3.0 and about 3000 'Stag' disks, of course it gave absoloutely no enjoyment looking through them all
Old 21 March 2006, 13:30   #9
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

My "friend" tells me there were only about 5 or 6 STAG disks... unless you are using a generic term for "pron" (whatever that is!!!)
Old 21 March 2006, 17:28   #10
Dizzy
Pirate

Yeah I also rember it as only 5-6 diff discs.

Some of the had a story on, and it was easy to grab with the action replay (to borring having to read it in the demo). But I heard that they are gone on the adf versions

The wet Beaver was a pong game with sound effect of Monica Seles (not much pr0n)
Old 22 March 2006, 15:40   #11
MajicMushroom
Proper Old Skool Scener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy
The wet Beaver was a pong game with sound effect of Monica Seles (not much pr0n)
Good lad! Yes, you are right. Still cracks me up though
Old 22 March 2006, 21:38   #12
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

Ah ok, thought we were just talking ! damn

*backs slowly out of room*
Old 26 March 2006, 03:59   #13
Rogueraven

me and my mates all had amigas when we was younger and we used to go to car boots to buy pirated software we all spent £3 of our pocket money every week on amiga games then copy what we bought for each other

one week my oldest friend at the time bought a bunch of slideshows i remember the guy selling them him laughing, making comments like your be blind before your old enough to watch them legally.

anyway can only remember a couple of them Cindy Crawfords slideshow Madonna Slideshow but the was another one might have been a STAG disk but at the end of it was like a mini cartoon movie like snowwhite and 7 dwarfs doing all sorts of things with medieval contraptions, me and my friends was like WTF!!! think the word we would of used back then would more then likely have been WICKED!!!! or COOL!!!

would love to find that disk again and get it back on my amiga, just to show it my friends
Old 26 March 2006, 04:48   #14
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogueraven
anyway can only remember a couple of them Cindy Crawfords slideshow Madonna Slideshow but the was another one might have been a STAG disk but at the end of it was like a mini cartoon movie like snowwhite and 7 dwarfs doing all sorts of things with medieval contraptions, me and my friends was like WTF!!! think the word we would of used back then would more then likely have been WICKED!!!! or COOL!!!
Snow white and the seven dwarves... with medieval objects ???? WTF!!! is an understatement..

Stag did not have this...
Old 26 March 2006, 16:07   #15
Dizzy
Pirate

Guess you might be looking for this swedish animation (torrent and it do have some seeders) its not an amigadisk but a avi file....
Old 26 March 2006, 17:24   #16
JohnnyWalker
aka ThunderPeel2001

Yikes, it's weird that so many people think STAG just means "" disks. No, no, no! The "STAG" disks said STAG very cleary (and very noticibly) during loading. They were made up of looping video clips from .

After doing a little research I've found that there are seven Stag disks 1-2-3-4-5-6 and Extras. They all do the same thing, but with different clips. I've even managed to grab hold of all of the adfs, too.

So for anyone who's interested and for preservation, I've put the entire series into the Zone!

(It should clear things up for people who have never seen them, too!)
Old 26 March 2006, 19:29   #17
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
Yikes, it's weird that so many people think STAG just means "" disks. No, no, no! The "STAG" disks said STAG very cleary (and very noticibly) during loading. They were made up of looping video clips from .
So they ARE disks then. Eh?
I too have encountered many of these on old 'zeraw' CDs, and they didn't contain anything else but THAT.
So quit talking around the subject! They are , period!
Old 26 March 2006, 23:05   #18
JohnnyWalker
aka ThunderPeel2001

Uhhh...?

Some people here thought that 'Stag' was a generic term (euphemism, perhaps?) for disks in general, and began talking about non-Stag disks. I was just stating the obvious for those who have never heard of the infamous 'Stag' disks.

Sorry if you got confused...?

Last edited by JohnnyWalker; 28 March 2006 at 01:07.
Old 26 March 2006, 23:14   #19
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyWalker
So for anyone who's interested and for preservation, I've put the entire series into the Zone!

(It should clear things up for people who have never seen them, too!)
Why aren't they named ???

Stag
Return of stag.
bride of stag
Son of stag
Bride of son of stag.

They all had names like that.

The Stag series hits the Zone once every few months , seems its quite a "nostalgic" item for the Amiga
Old 27 March 2006, 00:22   #20
JohnnyWalker
aka ThunderPeel2001

Quote:
Why aren't they named ???
You can name them all and re-upload them if you like