English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 12 December 2016, 18:19   #1
BarryB
Amigaholic

Do all WHDLoad installs verify the data read off the disk?

Just trying to gauge whether using a CT RAW generated from a Kryoflux dump would be a good way to verify if the 'dump' is good by using WHDLoad to verify the data as it's installing!

I know the installer may skip certain protection tracks or protections hidden in the gap etc, but for most custom MFM type tracks would the WHDLoad install identify 'bad' tracks?

For example, my 3 disks of Unreal showed Disk 1 and Disk 3 had checksum errors on certain tracks, re-dumping those tracks got a working install, so is using WHDLoad a good idea or pot luck?
Old 12 December 2016, 18:49   #2
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Using WHDLoad with the accompanying rawdic slave is an excellent verification process.
Old 12 December 2016, 18:53   #3
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

@Galahad
Yeh, but would the slave/imager necessarily distinguish between an unsupported version vs an errored disk (supported version or not) for an end-user like Barry and then be plainly obvious as to the cause of failure to that end-user?
Old 12 December 2016, 19:49   #4
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBong View Post
@Galahad
Yeh, but would the slave/imager necessarily distinguish between an unsupported version vs an errored disk (supported version or not) for an end-user like Barry and then be plainly obvious as to the cause of failure to that end-user?
A well written ripper will identify a checksum error and when you run the game itself, most slaves will run a checksum over part of the game to identify unsupported versions.
Old 12 December 2016, 19:56   #5
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

@Ian
Bingo, that's what I was trying to get at! Well-written patches will, but I'm guessing some of the early ones (perhaps by long-retired patchers) that haven't been updated in a very long time (if at all) might not fit into that category. Which begs the question, is there a better way for Barry to go?
Old 12 December 2016, 21:13   #6
BarryB
Amigaholic

Thanks for all the replies chaps

I'll continue creating CT RAW files from my dumps and WHDLoading them to verify! Obviously not EVERY track will be verified if the installer never uses those tracks and if it's not supported it should throw an error up when installing or running!
Old 13 December 2016, 00:18   #7
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
I'll continue creating CT RAW files from my dumps and WHDLoading them to verify! Obviously not EVERY track will be verified if the installer never uses those tracks and if it's not supported it should throw an error up when installing or running!
Well, that's the thing......someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the error WHDLoad usually spit out in that instance say that the disk might either be damaged or unsupported? It's been a long while since I've had it occur, so my memory's a bit hazy.
Old 13 December 2016, 00:32   #8
BarryB
Amigaholic

I guess if the installer errors straight away on the first disk it's probably unsupported, some installers tell you it's unsupported or tell you when running the game.

I've just done Perihelion and my Disk 3 produced an error, redumping the whole set of 4 disks again and creating CT RAW images produced an error free install, so I would say it's a fairly good way to verify disks as Galahad/Codetapper state!
Old 13 December 2016, 17:25   #9
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

@BarryB
Sorry, I should've added that the damaged or unsupported error message I speak of crops up when the game appears to install fine.....but doesn't work when launched. Probably more likely to occur with DOS games than anything else and leave you guessing, I imagine.

Yeh, methinks the only better way to verify your dumps is to send them to Denis each time for analysis! Quicker than sending them to SPS and awaiting feedback, but slower/less convenient than the WHD method if a patch exists