English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

View Poll Results: Do you think the amiga has a chance to comeback ?
Yes 29 17.16%
No 140 82.84%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13 April 2007, 18:45   #41
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Need scanlines to be able to make easier decision?
Old 14 April 2007, 00:05   #42
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis
@Merlin - did you call TOS a GUI??
TBH Anubis I only played with a mate's 520ST a few times and I recall a program called Calamus running under some sort of GUI, if it wasn't STOS I stand corrected.

I can't recall what Atari's GUI was called right now and it would only be being pedantic to find out what it was called anyway, since it doesn't change the overall argument, as I was talking about OS competition in the general sense, irrespective of if it was GUI, WYSIWYG, or a DOS type environment.

AMIGA = Amazing Machine, In Gone Age, sad but true.........

Merlin
Old 14 April 2007, 03:53   #43
VermillioN

well it's looking doubtfull lol..

Old 14 April 2007, 06:00   #44
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

In re: Moobunny....

that has got to be the most awful message board engine ever.
Old 14 April 2007, 06:46   #45
Ultron
Something

Just wait two more weeks! Two more weeks!!
Old 14 April 2007, 22:48   #46
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultron
Just wait two more weeks! Two more weeks!!
What for? An "Amiga" branded gaming PC? Sheesh.....most of us could build a killer games PC at home at least equal to that...

Unless you are on about something more than that (and I mean along the lines of Dennis' Minimig which is going to be a public release AFAIK, or possibly A-Clone being launched), I am finding it hard to get excited about what you are hinting at...just bloody say what to wait for it and we will then know whether to get excited (or not)....

Merlin
Old 14 April 2007, 22:50   #47
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin
What for? An "Amiga" branded gaming PC? Sheesh.....most of us could build a killer games PC at home at least equal to that...

Unless you are on about something more than that (and I mean along the lines of Dennis' Minimig which is going to be a public release AFAIK, or possibly A-Clone being launched), I am finding it hard to get excited about what you are hinting at...just bloody say what to wait for it and we will then know whether to get excited (or not)....

Merlin
I think you'll find he was being ironic...
Old 15 April 2007, 01:14   #48
Ultron
Something

Old 15 April 2007, 02:51   #49
Adropac2
Zone Friend

The Amiga was and is great but like all things great , it should not be ressurected.The Amiga we all remember is still with us anyway and there simply isn't a need for a super Amiga surely considering a PC does all we need.
Old 15 April 2007, 09:14   #50
Jope
-

RE: two more weeks..

I guess you guys who didn't get it haven't been following the current Amiga Inc very closely in the 2000's? That's been their general timeframe for OS4 ever since it was announced. :-)
Old 15 April 2007, 09:20   #51
Ultron
Something

On schedule and rockin'
Old 15 April 2007, 09:32   #52
Critter

sad but true

amiga is dead

Old 15 April 2007, 22:24   #53
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

First I read about the Amiga comeback was in Web User a couple of weeks ago. To be honest, I thought it was an Aprils fool!

Comeback eh? Hmmm......... I'd like to say yes but I know for definite in todays market it doesn't stand a chance.

I prefer to remember the Amiga as it was and one that played a major part in my life years ago. One I certainly won't ever forget - even now!
Old 15 April 2007, 22:30   #54
Ferret-Simpson

Amiga will not return. The Operating system will never return.

AROS is nearing betability, but it's not modern enough.

The Amiga-based BeOS is dead too, but it's clone Haiku has a reasonable chance of becoming a cult poweruser OS - like say. . . Free/Open/Net BSD.

Old 16 April 2007, 00:57   #55
JulioPop

hahaha only when THE_BORG visits earth will this old technology be rediscovered and assymilated... the bodies of all the famous amiga pirates will be exhumed and incorporated into the BORG as software replication spawners and Cloanto will become a branch in their hardware/software manufacturing/design department.

Old 16 April 2007, 02:23   #56
SilentBob

The Amiga never went away. It's just that most people went and forgot about it.

Hehe, well, I really think that the Amiga would need a big miracle to actually make a comeback. Wintel computers come in all sizes and configurations, just one Amiga won't do. It'll also have to cater to everyones needs, including modern gaming.
Old 16 April 2007, 14:43   #57
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin
TBH Anubis I only played with a mate's 520ST a few times and I recall a program called Calamus running under some sort of GUI, if it wasn't STOS I stand corrected.

I can't recall what Atari's GUI was called right now and it would only be being pedantic to find out what it was called anyway, since it doesn't change the overall argument, as I was talking about OS competition in the general sense, irrespective of if it was GUI, WYSIWYG, or a DOS type environment.

AMIGA = Amazing Machine, In Gone Age, sad but true.........

Merlin
THat was just a joke. Atari ST did have GUI, but my catridge with GUI for C64 was better looking and had more functionality.
Old 16 April 2007, 15:13   #58
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

you know say what you want guys.... i am an optomist.

however with amiga.inc at the helm (ie. fleec-you-mossy and co-horts) there is no way anything will be done to bring it back as a viable commercial entity, infact i think in that way the amiga is resigned to its long past fame....

BUT....

here we all are.... talking about it.... dreaming about even loving top play on it... there's still life in the old girl yet!

If only they would open source 3.x and roms ....... the insurgence of retr0-gamming will claim the holy grail that is AMIGA

*ahem... thinking and drooling of the hand-helds right now...

but seriously for a moment, you might thing theres no comeback, but i argue we are experienceing it now.... just think of this.... all the projects that have opened up, revised and improved over the last 12 months...

Amiga Magazine Rack
AMR Coverdisks
KGWHD
EOB 1/2 AGA
Amiga Games Factory
Game Cover Art
Clone A
Mini Mig

and so much more i havent mentioned...

every time i check these boards i get excited to the fact something new is going to pop up...

if there was a golden age of amiga gaming, then this is the golden age of amiga-retr0ism!

If you emulate and or take it to the real machine... Amiga will be here forever (and thats no cloanto pun)

its in your blood.... your thoughts.... and intruth nearly everything you judge computers today is based on the amiga of the past...

arnt you glad to be amiga users?

i know i am.
Old 16 April 2007, 15:19   #59
Anubis
Retro Gamer

One of the first big companies to drop Amiga from offered platforms for their games was Lucas Arts. Was CD reason they dropped support, I'm not sure, but since 1992 when they released Indy IV and MI2 they focused on PC, Mac and SNES?!

When you see one of those big companies promising anything new for Amiga, you can say it's alive again, until then we are in the graveyard.
Old 16 April 2007, 15:32   #60
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Anubis
It may not be alive commercially my friend, but personally to me its more alive than ever before, i supose its a question of half full / half empty.

I see a platform with lots of possibilities with inspiration and synergy almost buzzing arorund like angry hornets LOL... you dont need commecial support to have a sucessfull platform (points finger at gp32 etc), just an open platform with the right special ingriedients, and i think here upon these fair boards we most certainly have a few special ingreidents.... wouldn`t you say... Anubis?

I wonder if it would be commercially possible for a small dedicated development team tp license a game (say from lucas) and develop it for the amiga.... hmmmm.... i wonder....

meh... imma dreaming now....