English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 04 December 2001, 13:58   #1
Tim Janssen

Thumbs up Hoi

I would like to make a plea for one of the most underrated Amiga games ever: Hoi! It is programmed by team Hoi and published by Hollyware in 1992. Hoi is a mix of puzzle, platformaction, shmup and almost every other gaming genre available back in those days except for RPGs/adventures.
You control a cute little dragon who is looking for the love of his life. Pity four huge worlds (rock, yard, shmup, nature and a total over-the-top bonus level) separate the couple. Hoi is a typical avoid ‘em-up: He can’t shoot & smash baddies and dies when he falls from a certain height.

The reason why I like Hoi is because it is Dutch (yes, I am a chauvinistic snob), has a great bonus level (this makes the game stand out from the crowd), beautiful sonics and great lastability (when you turn on the cheatmode).
The game is not without its faults, though; The collision-detection is sometimes not fair and shows no mercy, the amount of animation is sparse (only to be compatible with 0,5 Mb machines) and the design of level 1 has a distinct amateurish feeling. Nevertheless I love this game because it has an unique feeling never witnissed in any other Amiga game.

Have you ever played this gem and what are your opinions?
Old 04 December 2001, 14:11   #2
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

Yes, I have to agree ! It's a great game !!
I once played it a lot but then gave up in level 3. Nevertheless I still have an Action-Raplay freeze disk where I am right at the beginning of level 3
Yes, it is a hard game, but it has the advantage that after game over you can start at the level you were in the last game. So if you leave your Amiga on this is similar to level passwords. ( but an Action-Replay freezer definitely helps here )
Old 04 December 2001, 14:48   #3
Tim Janssen

Lightbulb Hoi cheat

Hi Overdoc,
Great you also like this game. Believe me, Level 4 and the bonus-level really make this game.
However, I think nobody can finish Level 3. In a certain section in this level you will encounter the black-bobbed-tail: a giant monster consisting of balls which makes spastic movements. I have never managed to get passed this 'monster'.

However, even without an Action Replay you can get very far in the game. The programmers 'have spoilt' the game by telling in a Dutch magazine about all hidden rooms, warps (like in Giana Sisters) and a cheatcode which lets you select all four worlds and gives you infinite lives.
You can activate the cheatcode by following these steps:
- In the level-selection screen, only the picture (the one consisting of a tree) in the upper-left corner is visible.
- Click here with your mouse (or joystick, I am not sure) on the most upper-left corner of the pic;
- Now, click with your mouse on the most down-right spot of the pic. Beware that the pointer must match exactly that spot. If everything goes right, you can select from all four worlds;
- In the game you will start with 9 lives. You can infinitely boost the number of lives by pressing the F6 key (I think).
Old 04 December 2001, 17:07   #4
Amiga1992

I never tried this one, but The One gave it high scores and said it was a very underrated game.

Since they always said the same about Jetstrike, and I love Jetstrike, I ought to give this a try
Old 04 December 2001, 17:55   #5
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

I've uploaded Hoi AGA Remix, if anyone is interested.

Hoi's a bit too frustrating to be a classic.

Jetstrike is very good - you should give it a try.
Old 04 December 2001, 17:57   #6
Amiga1992

It's already one of my favs, however, I'm still on the lookout for a properly cracked version, since all the ones I have fail to skip the copyprotection after you completed 10 missions of so (ECS version, I aint got no AGA machine... yet)

Look for my request at the Request board. Do you have a properly cracked Jetstrike ECS, Cody? I don't want to use the PC version anymore
Old 04 December 2001, 18:01   #7
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Ooops - didn't read your sentence properly.

I'll check my version to see if it's cracked...
Old 04 December 2001, 18:07   #8
Amiga1992

If you can get past 10 or so missions, you'll see what I mean. The forst copy protection chck is cracked, but NOT the second.

Perhaps Amigaboy wants to give a try at cracking this bastard properly?
Old 04 December 2001, 18:09   #9
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

My Jetstrike AGA doesn't seem to be properly cracked either...

I've got an original copy of Jetstrike AGA, so I'll check it for codes as well.
Old 04 December 2001, 20:13   #10
Amiga1992

If teh codes work on the ECS version, id like to see them.

Ive been looking for a copy of Jetstrike ECS for a long time now, to no avail Anybody has a spare one to sell me?
Old 05 December 2001, 10:36   #11
Tim Janssen

Smile Hoi AGA

Cody,
Thanks for uploading Hoi AGA. I guess this is the update of the original ECS game (for more info see The Legacy). Is it really they have solely released it in the PD-scene because they were disappointed in Hollyware?