English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.UAE Wishlist

Old 22 December 2015, 22:24   #1
DamienD
Banned

"Native on-screen display" toggle key

Heya Toni,

A few months ago you asked me if there was anything I'd like to see implemented in WinUAE

I couldn't really think of anything useful at the time and let's be honest; the new features you've added over the years are so great that I couldn't even being to put the ideas forward...

Anyway; these days I have "Native on-screen display" enabled on all my configs (which are set to "Fullscreen). I never used to have this but find it useful if I need to know if a disk is still loading / being accessed etc.

My twin brother in Sydney is quite computer illiterate but remembers the old days of Amiga. I've sent him my zipped up package and turned this on so he can see "something is till happening". He doesn't have the patience to learn the ins / outs of the emulator.

What would be cool is if I could disable this option in all my configs but if in doubt on what drive activity is occurring press some key combination to show / hide the "Native on-screen display".

Has this already been implemented (if so I can't find any reference)? If not do you think this is possible or a just silly idea?
Old 22 December 2015, 22:50   #2
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

You can remap keys to a custom event ie. show_leds=true/show_leds=false.

Here's an A1200 config wich uses the '1' key to turn LED's on and the '2' key to turn them off.

Last edited by Arnie; 21 January 2016 at 12:56.
Old 23 December 2015, 00:00   #3
DamienD
Banned

Sure that would work Arnie; and thank you for the suggestion.

I would prefer a set key combination if possible; this means I don't need to hard code the above into every configuration. It's just there.

I don't know; [Ctrl] + [F10] if not used for anything else would be cool but open to suggestions.

Obviously very interested to see Toni's input / recommendation (if my suggestion is not too silly)
Old 23 December 2015, 00:35   #4
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

I don't think it's silly, sounds a good idea to me.

NumLock, Screenlock?
Old 23 December 2015, 09:35   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

No to default key, it is not commonly needed.

You can use "config_host_path=<path to other config file>" to load other config file which overrides any host entries in current config file. (config_hardware_path only overrides hardware entries, even if config has hardware config entries)

Order of operations:
- load config file
- parse config file
- if config_hardware_path, load it and override any previously loaded hardware related entry
- if config_host_path, load it and override any previously loaded host related entry

Put your input mapping config entries to separate config file (and other similar common settings), add config_host_path=<new file> to all your existing files. After this change you only need to edit common config file to virtually modify your normal config files quickly and easily.
Old 23 December 2015, 11:10   #6
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Wow

I just realised that I don't need to toggle Native on-screen display after all
Old 23 December 2015, 20:51   #7
DamienD
Banned

Ok, no problem Toni and thank you for the detailed information / workaround