English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 08 March 2024, 17:31   #1
Michael Doma

Lightbulb JIT and debugger watches/breakpoints

Dear Toni,

just one helpful suggestion:
Using watches ("w") and breakpoints ("f") should be prevented (or at least trigger a warning message to the user) when emulation is in JIT mode. A few months ago, it took me already quite some time to find out why my breakpoint wasn't triggering (I've assumed an anti-debugger protection... ) - and although I resolved the problem back then by disabling JIT, it happened to me again yesterday that I couldn't figure out why emulation crashed right away after adding a watch... until I saw the JIT check mark...

Regards,

Michael
Old 08 March 2024, 17:42   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

No. If you use debugger, you need to know what are you doing and how different options affect it. (There are lots of conditions where it can cause crashes etc. It is by design)

JIT also can be switched on and off on the fly and depending on JIT mode, some types of breakpoints can work.
Old 08 March 2024, 17:46   #3
jotd
This cat is no more

To develop whdload slaves or my games (that run with whdload), I use post/pre scripts to control JIT and turn it off when I run a game. That way I never have any problems.

BTW anti-debugger protection is just not possible with a stealth debugger like WinUAE...
Old 09 March 2024, 19:41   #4
Michael Doma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
No. If you use debugger, you need to know what are you doing and how different options affect it. (There are lots of conditions where it can cause crashes etc. It is by design)

JIT also can be switched on and off on the fly and depending on JIT mode, some types of breakpoints can work.
So what's the safest JIT mode/settings that allow JIT to be turned on and off on the fly without crashing?

Oh and I'd like to oppose that the expected behaviour would be that breakpoints and watches keep on working even after JIT is enabled... !
Old 20 March 2024, 18:36   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Doma View Post
So what's the safest JIT mode/settings that allow JIT to be turned on and off on the fly without crashing?

Oh and I'd like to oppose that the expected behaviour would be that breakpoints and watches keep on working even after JIT is enabled... !
They are never going to work fully with JIT. It just isn't possible with JIT.

Indirect JIT might work in most cases but it is also much slower. You can't have both.