English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 09 April 2010, 16:58   #1
mancalledSun

A600 2MB SRAM - IconX says "bad number" post WB boot

Anybody else seen this? More testing to take place over the weekend, but...

Upon booting of CustomWB (GAAE) with the SRAM installed, I get this message from IconX for a few seconds before disappearing. The RAM still functions as it should.

Reboot without the RAM, it doesn't happen.

Swap for a CF adaptor (also PCMCIA) and reboot, it also doesn't happen.

Am sure this started happening since installing the AmigaKit ADF software. But like I said, I need to do more testing over the weekend (with a fresh build).

Old 10 April 2010, 13:00   #2
Allen1

I haven't heard of that before, I do have a 2MB SRAM card but not the AmigaKit ADF software. Hopefully someone else will know what the problem is and how to avoid or fix it, I am also just using a standard Amiga formatted and set up CF drive ie no Custom Workbench as yet (I want more CF cards for trying different set ups).

Good luck with the answer, someone here is bound to have seen this before
Old 10 April 2010, 19:22   #3
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Go to the tools drawer, open the prepcard program and prepare the module as RAM. Reboot and the message may become away.

I use the Classic Workbench GAAE updated to 3.1 (as my A600 have 3.1 ROM) and swap the PCMCIA devices a lot. Both CF to PMCIA, SD/MS to PCMCIA, wired and wireless LAN cards and a 1/2Mb SRAM card as system memory.

This kinky message never appeared to me.
Old 10 April 2010, 19:44   #4
mancalledSun

Right. Found the culprit.

After installing a fresh build of GAAE I only checked the following during installation:

Update DEVS:mountlist

and

Copy Mount_CF0 to SYS:WBStartup

The compactflash.device and fat95 files are already part of GAAE.

The Mount_CF0 file is the killer here. When removed from WBStartup the error disappears (with the SRAM inserted). So essentially my workaround is to only mount the CF when I need it and leave it out of the startup.

I can make it error on demand by running the program again and again while the SRAM is inserted.

So I suppose this query either needs to go to Amigakit, or we just blame my SRAM (which works as it should aside from this odd message).

Thoughts?

@rkauer - already prepped (but I re-prepped in anycase).

Old 10 April 2010, 20:03   #5
Allen1

Ah I only use mount CFO: when I use the CF card, I stuck the command in the workbench menu with ToolsDeamon which may explain why I have not seen that error.
Old 10 April 2010, 21:18   #6
mancalledSun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen1 View Post
Ah I only use mount CFO: when I use the CF card, I stuck the command in the workbench menu with ToolsDeamon which may explain why I have not seen that error.
I wonder how many others are doing this. WBStartup is the default install location from the Amigakit floppy.

Oh well, it's no big deal, just one to watch out for.

Old 10 April 2010, 21:28   #7
Jope
-

Why on is there a "Mount CF0" script when the original Startup-Sequence already does this for you if the CF0 dosdriver is in devs:dosdrivers?

If you don't want it to be automounted, you just drag it to sys:storage/dosdrivers instead, and it won't be mounted in startup-sequence, but you can still do it manually with the mount command (or by double clicking the dosdriver).
Old 10 April 2010, 22:14   #8
Allen1

I used the ToolsDeamon method to save having to open workbench then locate and double clicking on the CF0 icon. The other reason was to save a little memory to use WHDLoad before I got an SRAM card then a trapdoor expansion, it helped a few games to load that needed that little extra free memory.
Old 11 April 2010, 16:33   #9
Jope
-

I also have a bunch of storage based dosdrivers added to my toolsdaemon menu.. mount cf0:, mount warez: etc, all of which just run the needed mount command in CLI mode.
Old 11 April 2010, 16:45   #10
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Why on is there a "Mount CF0" script when the original Startup-Sequence already does this for you if the CF0 dosdriver is in devs:dosdrivers?
Probably because the CF driver needs cardreset and/or cardpatch. If those commands are added to user-startup, the mount CF0 has to be run from WBStartup because the mount command in startup-sequence is run before user-startup.

Before you ask why cardreset/cardpatch are put in user-startup: because an installation script cannot change startup-sequence.
Old 13 April 2010, 14:43   #11
Jope
-

That's a good reason, I agree. :-)

However I believe compactflash.device already has cardreset functionality built in:
v1.18 09/2002 Added "forced card socket activation" hack.
v1.22 05/2003 Added alternative card socket resetting code.
Old 14 April 2010, 21:07   #12
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Remember the card_reset software will stop the Amiga boot if there is no PCMCIA card hooked on the Amiga at boot time.