English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 16 September 2011, 18:22   #1
weiju

Colemak keymap and Amiga keymap editor in Scala

Hi,

I recently started getting back into Amiga programming again and noticed that I can't really type on a QWERTY keyboard anymore. I use a Colemak layout, mostly because I type a lot and longer periods of typing with QWERTY cause pain in my hands. Since I could not find a Colemak layout for the Amiga, I decided to read up on the Amiga reference documentation and create an editor in Scala (which is a language that is translated to Java bytecode, so it should run everywhere Java runs), mainly to understand how keymaps work and are arranged.
Using this editor, I have created the colemak1 keymap, which was derived from the usa1 keymap.
I decided to share both keymap and layout under

http://github.com/weiju/Fatma

in case it could be useful to someone else than me. For me it has certainly been worth the effort, I am using it on my A1200 as well as on E-UAE and WinUAE.

Best,

Wei-ju
Old 16 September 2011, 21:08   #2
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Hm, did you not know that there are already keymap editors available at Aminet?

And not sure why you would want to use a presentation program to create such an editor...
Old 16 September 2011, 21:19   #3
weiju

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
Hm, did you not know that there are already keymap editors available at Aminet?

And not sure why you would want to use a presentation program to create such an editor...
Hi, I actually had a look at KME and others before I started, but I saw this as an opportunity to dust off my Amiga library and learn what goes into a keyboard layout in general and on the Amiga in particular. I would not have been able to understand how dead class keys work, for example.

Scala in this case is a programming language, not "Scala MM", so the editor does not run on an Amiga system, but on Java.

Best,

Wei-ju