English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Amiga Forever

Old 19 November 2016, 09:28   #21
ptyerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinphaltimus View Post
Well, spent way too much time trying to get this to work correctly and I can't. So I'm currently dual booting Knoppix with KX Light with Amiga forever installed as a CD. The install to Hard Drive uncompressed option works but for some reason it is set to shutdown (kill all processes) right after the X-Window session closes which I posted about earlier. I cannot seem to get it to stop doing that and just load up uae to workbench. Sucks really.

Going back to what kind of works and then installing the adf mounter. At least with the dual boot scenario I can boot in to Knoppix and load up all the adfs to the amiga setup.

I can't even get the uae floppy emulation to work, so I have to rely on Akira's solution.

What the heck Cloanto, isn't there any interest in making this product better?
I too have encountered these same problems with KX Light. Amiga Forever 2016 produces a corrupt ISO, so KX Light won't even install, it has corrupt files.
Amiga Forever 2012 does install correctly but shuts down as soon as it loads as you found out. I have tried installing this on various hardware over the last few years but never had any success, it really does suck!
I've decided to avoid purchasing any new versions of Amiga Forever until Cloanto sort it out.
There is no point in purchasing the same thing every year when the parts your most interested in don't even work!
I don't think Cloanto have even touched KX Light for several years, they really need to update it and iron out the bugs. They are down one customer here until they do!
Old 19 November 2016, 12:02   #22
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

I've only tried this with AF2014 and was going to give it another go with AF2016, but if you are correct and AF2016 produces a corrupt DVD then perhaps I wont bother.
Old 19 November 2016, 13:16   #23
Sinphaltimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
I've only tried this with AF2014 and was going to give it another go with AF2016, but if you are correct and AF2016 produces a corrupt DVD then perhaps I wont bother.
Yes, it does. When I contacted their tech support, they sent me a download link for AF2016Plus (the version I have licensed). So with the iso they sent me (perhaps you should contact them), I did the following with the following results.

Using the decompress to hard drive option works and the install completes but but it shuts down as soon as the x-window session completes which seems to happen a millisecond before the Workbench screen (e-uae) should pop up full screen. If they just fixed that one damn issue I think it would start to work.

Using the "copy to hard drive and use as DVD" method does indeed work. Workbench boots up fine but there are other things broken that do not work. Including the EmuControl, you know, the most important function of the emulation, the one that is supposed to allow you to load ADF files in to DF0 (or other (up to 4) floppy devices). I even edited the config file to point to the adf folder with NO LUCK.

So not only is KX Light still broken but the emulation itself is incomplete.

They don't even bother to document it poperly. It's the laziest development I've ever seen.

This seems to be their attitude:

We did not create create KX Light, we're just experimenting with it, for years and years and years. So we're not going to document it nor are we going to provide any useful documentation on how to get it to work on various systems.

We did not create uae, we just implemented a portion of e-uae to get it to work with KX-Light, some what. So we're not going to document it nor are we going to provide any useful documentation on how to get it to work on various systems.

We offer you this broken iso creation method to create a broken product that does not actually work in any meaningful way the way we advertise it. So we're not going to document it nor are we going to provide any useful documentation on how to get it to work on various systems.

All we did was purchase the rights to charge you for Amiga branded roms and software. We really only developed the program manager that keeps everything up to date so as long as that works, we're good right?

So the community is left jumping through hoops for the one thing that seems the most useful. With no clean cut solution and hours of frustration just trying to get the OS we love to work as advertised.

In the US, it'd be lawsuits for fraudulent advertising. This is the 3rd version of AF I've purchased as well. Also the last until they decide to care about their own product and actually fix this crippled hunk of landfill.

Ok, I vented. Not really all that upset, yeah a bit frustrated, but I never had much faith in Cloanto anyway. I knew it was crap going in (thank you google). So I'll just keep opening up trouble tickets to get it resolved. No faith that will ever happen.

In the meantime, using the "install as DVD" option and using XFS from aminet.

And now XFS doesn't work for some reason. That puts an end to this route. Looks like it's back to ADF opus and extracting ADF file to burn to CD if ever to make this useful...

Last edited by Sinphaltimus; 19 November 2016 at 13:41.
Old 19 November 2016, 15:05   #24
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Quote:
We offer you this broken iso creation method to create a broken product that does not actually work in any meaningful way the way we advertise it. So we're not going to document it nor are we going to provide any useful documentation on how to get it to work on various systems.
Unbelievable!!!

Are they trying to outdo Microshaft??
Old 20 November 2016, 08:04   #25
ptyerman

@Sinphaltimus
couldn't have said it better. Right on!
Old 20 November 2016, 13:00   #26
Sinphaltimus

A quick update. I moved the XFS files out of the devs/dosdrivers/xfs drawer n in to the dosdrivers parent. XFS now works.

So for the time being..
Here is what I did to get a semi working Amiga Forever 2016 to work via KX-Light
First, I had to get a working iso file of af2016plus from Cloanto directly as the current installed in windows AF2016 produces corrupted iso files. No software update via software manager available.

Second, I'm working with a 100GB HDD partitioned as follows:
1GB Linux Swap, 25GB reiserFS for Knoppix, 40GB ext3 for AmigaOS, 25+GB ntfs (thought I might need this in the future)

1. Installed Knoppix Linux live DVD to reiserfs partition. (yes Grub)
2. Installed AF2016 as a CD to HDD (not uncompressed), (yes Grub)
3. Booted system off Live DVD for Knoppix (not the hdd install)
4. Edited boot/grub/menu.lst via sudo -i nautilus and copied the settings for Knoppix from the Knoppix HDD install boot/grub/menu.list to a new entry on the Amiga OS version.
5. Rebooted to Knoppix HDD install (removed live DVD) and edited the Amiga/e-uae/ config file to setup the Amiga emulation to something more robust using sudo -i nautilus. Copied a ton of adf files to Amiga/dir/work directory. For use with XFS later.
6. Rebooted to KX Light (AmigaOS)
7. Installed XFS

I took guidance from this link when editing menu.lst and the e-uae config file. I left SCSI device as cdrom and I didn't change Amiga to Shared. I left paths along. I did set to 1024x786 in grub, e-uae config and screenmode via WB.

I now have an Amiga workbench running on a laptop without windows that I can load adf files into to install and run software. Already tested MED and it works. That's all I need it for at the moment. So I was able to force this in to minimal usability at the moment.

If anyone wants more detailed help in setting this up the same way I did, just ask. I only know what I did and that it works for my needs. I may not be any help outside of the steps I took.

The install to HDD uncompressed option caused the emulation and kx light to shutdown for some reason. It never actually loads workbench in e-uae. I wish they would just fix that one issue for now so we can have proper file access to the emulation and fix the adf loader.

-hope this helps someone until fixed.
Old 12 September 2017, 14:27   #27
Sinphaltimus

Rinse and repeat with AF7 - Contacting Cloanto tech support now. See if they can send me another ISO again.
Old 12 September 2017, 18:22   #28
ptyerman

Yep, Amiga Forever 2017 (7) still installs a non working kxlight. However I solved it and it is a very easy fix, I even emailed Cloanto the solution which would take them no time to fix, but I wouldn't hold my breath on them doing anything about it!
The problem is in the e-uaerc file which is the configuration file for e-uae, it is looking for a ROM file that doesn't exist so when it tries to boot it just bombs out.
The solution is to install it as usual but before booting it use a live distro like puppy linux and boot that, mount the kxlight drive or install partition, open the home folder and press Ctrl + H to display all files then open the .e-uaerc file in a text editor. Scroll down the file to the line that lists the ROM and change it to one of the ROM's in the ROM folder. Now save the file and reboot and it is good to go.
Old 12 September 2017, 22:53   #29
Allen1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptyerman View Post
Yep, Amiga Forever 2017 (7) still installs a non working kxlight. However I solved it and it is a very easy fix, I even emailed Cloanto the solution which would take them no time to fix, but I wouldn't hold my breath on them doing anything about it!
The problem is in the e-uaerc file which is the configuration file for e-uae, it is looking for a ROM file that doesn't exist so when it tries to boot it just bombs out.
The solution is to install it as usual but before booting it use a live distro like puppy linux and boot that, mount the kxlight drive or install partition, open the home folder and press Ctrl + H to display all files then open the .e-uaerc file in a text editor. Scroll down the file to the line that lists the ROM and change it to one of the ROM's in the ROM folder. Now save the file and reboot and it is good to go.
What is the name of the ROM that the program is looking for, if that was known then wouldn't it be easier to copy a ROM from the Rom folder and rename it to the one that the program is looking for?

I don't have Amiga Forever 2017 so I am just being speculative about renaming a ROM file with the right name.
Old 12 September 2017, 23:05   #30
Sinphaltimus

It doesn't complete the install. i get a some file error during the installation process.
Old 13 September 2017, 02:44   #31
ptyerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen1 View Post
What is the name of the ROM that the program is looking for, if that was known then wouldn't it be easier to copy a ROM from the Rom folder and rename it to the one that the program is looking for?

I don't have Amiga Forever 2017 so I am just being speculative about renaming a ROM file with the right name.
I can't remember without looking at a fresh install but the ROM it looks for doesn't exist. I just changed the line to look for amiga-os-310-a1200.rom, you could also use the A4000 ROM, it doesn't really matter.
Yes, you can rename a ROM to suit, it would work just the same, but I do remember the ROM it looks for doesn't really make sense so better to change the config than rename the ROM.
You can also edit the file within the ISO so it installs correctly, I intend to do this at some point.
Old 13 September 2017, 02:47   #32
ptyerman

Quote:
It doesn't complete the install. i get a some file error during the installation process.
Did you create the ISO with the Amiga Forever software, or download the ISO also?
I haven't tried the ISO creation as I also downloaded the ISO this time as well as the AF software.
If you did create it I would log in and download the ISO instead, it works fine.
Old 13 September 2017, 14:44   #33
Sinphaltimus

Quote:
Did you create the ISO with the Amiga Forever software, or download the ISO also?
I haven't tried the ISO creation as I also downloaded the ISO this time as well as the AF software.
If you did create it I would log in and download the ISO instead, it works fine.
I used the software to create the ISO - I'll have to see if I have access to an ISO download. the download link they send me for for an installable msi package. Also, I want to confirm, you're installing as full HDD install not as CD copied correct?

EDIT - Nope, they do not provide an ISO download. Only MSI installer. Logged in to my Anatgate account and all download links are for msi.

Also - Source: https://www.amigaforever.com/whatsnew/
Previously introduced in Amiga Forever 2014:

All Windows versions now come with a Windows Installer download (no need to burn or mount an ISO image to access the installer, or to wait for postal delivery).
New Build Image feature (Tools menu of Plus Edition), to create personalized ISO images (burn to CD or DVD) and portable environments (e.g. to run from USB storage). This is similar to the "old" Amiga Forever media, except that the content can now be updated and customized.

Last edited by Sinphaltimus; 13 September 2017 at 15:06.
Old 13 September 2017, 15:10   #34
ptyerman

Strange! I had links for the .msi and for the ISO so I grabbed both.
Yep, it's a full HDD install, I don't use frugal installs on anything.
It doesn't surprise me that Cloanto hasn't fixed anything, contact them for a valid ISO.
What's more is, they know about all these faults and have done for some time, there is consumer laws been broken here with knowingly selling defective goods. They need pulling up on it!
Old 13 September 2017, 18:27   #35
Sinphaltimus

Quote:
Strange! I had links for the .msi and for the ISO so I grabbed both.
Yep, it's a full HDD install, I don't use frugal installs on anything.
It doesn't surprise me that Cloanto hasn't fixed anything, contact them for a valid ISO.
What's more is, they know about all these faults and have done for some time, there is consumer laws been broken here with knowingly selling defective goods. They need pulling up on it!
I agree, This is my third version of AF and it's the same old issue. They resolved my problem with AF2016 by giving me a link to an ISO and I've emailed them again, requesting another link a few days ago (when i started this necro thread up again).

On another note, I got my SDNet adaptor yesterday and today my Miggy is on the internet and LAN so too excited to be upset about this Cloanto crap.

I would just like to have a use for an old laptop that is Amiga specific. Icaros doesn't seem to like any of my old laptops..
Old 13 September 2017, 20:18   #36
ptyerman

Yeah, Icaros is a bit system and CPU hungry at times with older hardware. The kxlight install is fine once installed, only I don't like Cloanto's Workbench at all. I currently only have it installed in VirtualBox for experimentation purposes, but everything works OK, network, sound etc. I have plenty of old PC's laying about so may install it on some hardware in the near future.
Hopefully they'll send you a link soon for a working ISO.